• R, 2 hr. 22 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

Carlos M

January 4, 2010
It may deserve to be generally regarded as (one of) the most overrated film(s) ever made, but it is above all a wonderful, uplifting and deeply touching tale of hope and perseverance that certainly deserves to be remembered as one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King story.
Christian C

June 30, 2013
Strong acting. Moderately inventive story, but not exactly unpredictable. A pleasantly uplifting film, but don't expect a transformative experience. PS -- Love the "Sisters" -- wish they won!
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

May 4, 2013
Before we can critically assess The Shawshank Redemption, we first have to deal with The Shawshank Reputation. In addition to its Oscar nominations and huge critical acclaim, the film has topped the IMDb Top 250 for years and shows no signs of dropping off any time soon. Any attempt to criticise it could come across as churlish or contrarian, the work of someone attempting to be above what is popular for their own self-righteous sake. Fortunately, there is little need to criticise - for Shawshank really is as great as people make it out to be.

It's easy to forget how much of a slow-burning success Shawshank was. Despite favourable reviews and its many nominations, the film barely broke even on first release. It was only with the VHS release that word began to spread like wildfire, so that by the turn of the century it had garnered a reputation as a modern American great. In an age where films are dead in the water if they don't perform on opening weekend, it is hard to imagine a situation in which another Shawshank could emerge (although Slumdog Millionaire is a reasonable candidate).

It's equally easy to forget how brutal the film is, particularly in its first 20 minutes. Shawshank's reputation as a popular favourite might lead the uninitiated to thinking that it's an uplifting, feel-good film - and it is true that these later moments are the ones which have most entered into popular consciousness. But any film about hope needs a source of despair to provide conflict, and Shawshank has more than enough violence and emotional trauma to justify its 15 certificate. As Mark Kermode famously remarked, there's a whole lot of Shawshank before the Redemption.

Even without its reputation, Shawshank is one of the best adaptations of Stephen King's work. Indeed, among King's dramatic stories, it is outshone only by its successor The Green Mile. Frank Darabont has a greater understanding of King than almost any other filmmaker: he gets the tone spot on and recreates the period setting brilliantly with the help of Roger Deakins' cinematography. Despite the much-parodied narration that punctuates the film, the drama unfolds naturally and believably throughout, with the characters always being at the forefront and naked exposition being kept to a bare minimum.

Shawshank is a good example of how adaptation works - or more specifically, how changes made to the original story in translation often benefit the finished product. The best example of this is the character of Red, who in the original novel is a red-headed Irishman. This is referred to jokingly by Morgan Freeman in one of his first conversations with Tim Robbins; when Andy asks why people call him Red, Red responds: "Maybe it's because I'm Irish.".

On top of Freeman's obvious ability, the casting decision makes sense because it adds an extra layer of meaning to the character. Red is one of the few black characters we come across; while he applies himself in different ways, he is as much of an outsider as Andy DuFresne. This is borne out by his remarks about institutionalisation, which are laughed off by his fellow inmates. Red may be well-connected when it comes to smuggling things in, but otherwise he is just as lonely as Andy.

Shawshank approaches the theme of institutionalisation with great grace and dexterity. Because the story takes place over three decades, the temptation would be to canter through the plot points and cut straight to Andy's escape - you could even stage the entire story in flashback. Instead, Darabont allows the film to unfold at a gentle, gradual pace, reflecting the mind-set of the characters. They don't realise how trapped they are until it's too late, just as we don't realise that two-and-a-half hours has passed until the credits have begun to roll.

The characters reflect the different extents and effects of institutionalisation. Brooks has built his entire identity around his books and role in the prison; he is so afraid of this being taken away that he attempts to kill William Sadler's character so he can stay inside. Red is aware of how trapped he is, and shares Brooks' fears, being unsure that he could get things for Andy on the outside. But at the same time, he refuses to let himself be vulnerable, trying to play the system and constantly getting turned down for parole. Andy allows himself to be vulnerable and endures all the pain that it brings him, sustained by the knowledge of his innocence and the hope that he will escape.

Shawshank is perhaps the most powerful depiction of hope in all of cinema. The original short story, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, was subtitled 'Hope Springs Eternal'. The film returns to hope and the celebration of the human spirit like a leitmotif, and succeeds because it retains Andy's humanity in all its many shades. While he is very different to the other prisoners, he is never presented as a saint or goody-goody, smiling gormlessly in the face of maddening torment. This makes his endurance all the more powerful: we recognise our faults in his moments of weakness, and aspire to his inner moral strength.

The film has attracted many Christian interpretations - in fact, in my review of John Carpenter's The Thing, I called it "a poster child for Christianity". It's not hard to see why, considering its celebration of inner strength and devotion, and its overall arc of good triumph over evil against the greatest odds. While Andy has been called a Christ figure, he's just as close to the character of Daniel in the Old Testament: he finds himself in a strange land against his will, and in order to survive he applies his natural talents to the service of his temporal masters. Through his labours the people around him benefit and the system is eventually changed for the better - albeit through pain, suffering and several deaths.

An equally intriguing interpretation comes from Mark Kermode, who authored a BFI Modern Classic on the film in 2003. In a video discussing cinematic depictions of Richard Nixon, Kermode made the argument that Warden Norton (played brilliantly by Bob Gunton) is an allegory for Nixon, with Andy's prison term matching Nixon's political career. Norton begins reaching out for friendship (Nixon seeking to be elected), then becomes the corrupt leader (beginning in the year that Kennedy was shot), and finally descends into paranoia and disgrace, culminating in a more literal suicide than Nixon offered us.

Whether you believe these interpretations or not, Shawshank is a terrific piece of dramatic film-making which soars on the strengths of its main performers. Tim Robbins perfectly captures Andy's distant, ethereal quality while retaining his wry and infectious sense of humour. Morgan Freeman's performance may well be responsible for his subsequent type-casting, but he matches Robbins beat for beat, offsetting hope with world-weariness and guilt. There's also great support from two actors who would subsequently work with Darabont again - William Sadler (who appears in The Green Mile) and James Whitmore (The Majestic).

The only fly in the ointment with Shawshank is its ending. The film is about hope as a value in and of itself, emphasising the importance of having it even if it is not rewarded. Red's transition to embracing hope is far more important than his reunion with Andy, and this reunion shifts the film's message from celebrating hope to justifying the characters' pain on the basis of a happy ending. It's also clear that this ending was put together at the last minute, with subtle shifts in the cinematography and a far more rushed pacing to it.

The Shawshank Redemption may not be entirely worthy of its number one ranking on IMDb, but it remains a really terrific piece of drama let down only by its final scene. In every other aspect it's a masterpiece, as a character piece, a treatise on hope and a beautifully paced and mounted Stephen King adaptation. It remains a must-see for all film fans of penchant or persuasion, earning its status as a modern classic and securing a warm place in our hearts.
Spencer M

November 6, 2011
perfect
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
Im not intirely sure as to why this movie is so incredibly liked, yes its an okay movie and it has a good cast that do some good acting but its not really much there!
Maybe its good the first time you watch it as your unaware of where its going, however on the second go its no longer a surprise so it wasnt as enjoyable, i thought it was a bit boring not a lot happening!
Dr114
Dr114

March 15, 2012
One of the greatest movies ever made. It has memorable characters, great drama and is one of the (if not) best prison movies. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman at their best. A true classic. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you go watch it as soon as possible!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 31, 2008
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Saw it again! What can I say? Perfect film as they come. Tremendous performances by Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. This movie even though did not win a single Oscar was nominated for 7 and probably would have been the favorite one to win Best Picture if Forrest Gump didn't come out that same year and won. The film is smart, sad, fun, exciting and best of all teaches us a very important lesson. If you haven't watch this film before, what is wrong with you, go watch it now!!!

Andy Dufresne, is sent to Shawshank Prison for the murder of his wife and secret lover. He is very isolated and lonely at first, but realizes there is something deep inside your body, that people can't touch and get to....'HOPE'. Andy becomes friends with prison 'fixer' Red, and Andy epitomizes why it is crucial to have dreams. His spirit and determination, leads us into a world full of imagination, filled with courage and desire. Will Andy ever realize his dreams?
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 1, 2011
The Shawshank Redemption is one of the most deep, incredible, inspiring, and beautiful films ever made, I cannot watch this movie without a pure smile on my face from the greatness and genius of this film. After being convicted of murdering his wife, something he denies, smart and banker Andy Duffrain (Tim Robbins) is sent to Shawshank prison, which is run by a corrupt warden (Bob Gunton). He makes friends with some of the inmates but his closest relationship is with Red (Morgan Freeman) a wise lifer who is a you want it, he can get sort of guy. After many years there, and after the last straw from the warden, Andy does something that will be remembered throughout the history of Shawshank prison. The lot of this film is equally incredible with story and characters, we love whats going on the entire film because every moment is important to the ending of the film, and the characters of the movie are just perfection, Andy and Red as best friends is probably the greatest friendship I have ever seen a film and that makes it impossible to dislike them and how colorful and fun the supporting characters are, what an incredible and beautiful movie that shows the horrors of prison. The cast is just incredible, Tim Robbins plays his most memorable and best performance of his career if you ask me, and Morgan Freeman has also his greatest role to date and truly deserved his Oscar as much as everyone else that year, they were just incredible. The score of the film is not just amazing, that is not saying enough to how beautiful and masterful the music was, every minute this music was playing gave the movie its feel that made it feel like a real drama I think. The Shawshank Redemption is one of the most intense and incredible dramas you will ever see, I am not resenting when I say this is my favorite drama film of all time and always will be, Frank Darabont has made many Stephen King adaptions but this is his best and his masterpiece, if you need a very inspirational and incredible film, I need you to see this film.
Alexander D

June 29, 2011
Question of the day: Why did this film lose to FORREST GUMP for the 1994 Best Picture Oscar? Okay, Tom Hanks and Robert Zemeckis admittedly did a phenomenal job with GUMP, but THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is, with no doubt, nothing short of an unforgettable masterpiece.

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is adapted from Stephen King's short novel, "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption". (No "the".) Though it is most certainly not a Rita Hayworth biopic. The film starts out with Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins), though having made an attempt at claiming innocence, being put in Maine's Shawshank State Prison with charges for a double murder. He meets a man nicknamed Red Redding (Morgan Freeman), and they form a friendship. Aside from that, Andy's sentence to imprisonment is marred with many various tragedies, including months of unnecessary solitary confinement, brutality from guards, inmates who act atrociously uncivilized, and even the suicide of a friend.

Though the story is about Tim Robbins's character, the film is beautified by a well-done narration by Morgan Freeman. Also, this was the first Stephen King/Frank Darabont (writer/director) collaboration, followed by THE GREEN MILE and THE MIST, and as a collaborative debut, it was spectacular.

As far as last scenes go, my favorite is now the one in SHAWSHANK. I won't give anything away, but I will say that the first scene is quite dull and a little underwhelming, whereas the finale sums the film up to the best, most heartfelt notch achievable. Let us applaud for the film that SHOULD have won Best Picture in 1994!
Scott G

October 26, 2011
Timeless classic and doesn't have to brag itself to be known as the most riveting drama of all time, a brilliant main role combination of Freeman and Robbins, exceptionally finished.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
I'd forgotten how stupendous this was. A truly unique experience like no other, with fantastic performances from Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, and the spectacular Tim Robbins, in his career defining role. Frank Darabont's best film by far, and one of the best films in cinematic mystery. A must-see for avid movie lovers.
c0up
c0up

August 18, 2011
'The Shawshank Redemption'. A fascinating look into the psyche of men and their perceived notion of safety, freedom and self-worth, if the only life they are familiar with is that inside a prison.

I'd heard a LOT about this film, and all things considered, it doesn't live up to the unbelievable reputation it has. For all I'd heard about it though, I'd never read the plot, and my expectations of the main character-Andy Dufresne, played extremely competently by Tim Robbins-were way off the mark, and I was pleasantly surprised by the direction the film took, turning into a clever prison break, and me realising how much the TV series 'Prison Break' borrowed from this film.

The highly resourceful Andy Dufresne remains the same man through it all, not letting prison get the better of him, and bettering the life of other inmates, but this film is about Morgan Freeman's Red and the change he goes through in his mindset, and he puts in a damn fine performance! Honourable mentions to a crazy William Sadler and scumbag warden Bob Gunton.

Uplifting and filled with hope as it may have been, with the reunion at the end sending definite chills, I'm still not 100% sure Andy didn't commit the crime he was in jail for. Knowing this was written and directed by Darabont, and the twisted ending to 'The Mist' I absolutely adored, I really thought Freeman would find a murder weapon or something that incriminated Andy. Alas.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
If you don't love this movie, something is seriously wrong with you. 5 stars without a doubt, a true testament to the human spirit.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Obviously nothing short of outstanding. But, I don't think I would call this the best film ever made.
Idrees K

February 3, 2011
No consensus yet, no consensus needed. Watch it...now
Fernando Rafael Q

January 30, 2007
As a friend put it, Frank Darabont is the best at adapting Stephen King's work, and I couldn't agree more. I hate when people describe a film as "beautiful", but there's really no other way to put it. The Shawshank Redemption is a beautiful film.

The movie is visually striking despite the lack of a rich palette, lavish sets or big costumes, and the camera work is perfect. I suppose it was a very inspiring story since it was penned by Stephen King, but it gains even more power with Frank Darabont's great script and directorial skill.

A flawless film and a classic, anchored by great performances from its two leads: Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins.
Daniel J D

June 19, 2007
As much as I like to hate on Stephen King for some of the other films adapted from his work, there's always Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and maybe a few others that are genuinely good. More importantly, I've never actually read any of Stephen King's actual literature. That said, he and Frank Darabont make a good team. Darabont tends to scout out King's best work and great casts, and the casts seem to always come through and mesh.
Dan S

June 24, 2007
A solid, slightly over-rated film concerning a banker (Tim Robbins) sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit, and the troubles and experiences he encounters, as well as the friendships he forms with a weathered veteran of the prison (Morgan Freeman). At best, it is a searing depiction of the corruption that sometimes goes on at the highest rankings (a disturbing turn from Bob Gunton as Warden Norton), as well as the ugliness that engulfs prison life. This is not a perfect movie, notably because it contains a useless section involving Robbins educating a troubled inmate, for the sole sake of showing just how corrupt the Warden is (but we already know he is, the story does not need to hammer it down anymore). The Bible-thumping Warden character is also the typical hypocrite that Hollywood loves to implement (Christians are all morons who go back on their word). With that said, the relationship that evolves between Robbins and Morgan is beautifully orchestrated, and the ending is undeniably fitting. It is just not the masterpiece many claim it to be, is all, but it is still a fine film.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

November 16, 2010
Honestly who doesn't like this movie? I missed my school prom to finish reading the Stephen King novella in the Different Seasons compilation under its original title of Hope Springs Eternal - Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and I have been sidetracked many a time by the movie when I have been inclined to partake. One of Morgan Freeman's best roles by far and even though Red was supposed to be a white Irish man with red hair, I could not imagine neither the character in the book or on the screen, any different from Freeman. Tim Robbins is one of my favorite actors, allowing his calming voice and controlled body language to completely encapsulate Andy Dufresne in this movie. Charming, devestating and liberating I defy you not to enjoy it and how they ever got two odd hours out of a one hundred odd page novella I will never know.