• R, 1 hr. 35 min.

She's the One Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

September 7, 2011
Mr. Fitzpatrick: Let me get this straight. You don't want to cheat on your girlfriend with your wife?

Like with the other Edward Burns movies I have seen, I'm sort of in the middle here. He definitely has some skills as a filmmaker, yet his movies seem to be missing something. She's the One is a decent Romantic Comedy. It's not your typical romcom and I like it for that. Burns kind of reminds me of a not as a great Woody Allen. He writes, directs and stars in all of his stuff, he deals with the same subjects in his movies and there is something about each scene that tells you it is a Burns movie. Now after just a few experiences of watching his movies I feel like I could see a scene from any of his movies and know right away it's his, just like with Woody Allen.

She's the One is a watchable and likable "comedy," although I think of it more as a drama. It just seems like a key piece of a great movie is missing here and it just drags the whole movie down. I want to like this so much more then I do. There's a lot to like and yet a lot to scoff at and say "What the hell?"

I'll watch anything Burns does because he has a great skill that he hasn't totally realized yet. When he finds that last piece of the puzzle, it's going to be incredibly special.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

March 16, 2011
I am intrinsically attracted to films like "She's the One." Films that feature a cast of characters acting out in juxtapositional ways always fascinates me. Writer/Director/Actor Edward Burns' film has it's moments of depth and humor and he has quite the ear for great dialogue. He also has a way with pulling terrific performances out of female actors. Jennifer Aniston is quite excellent here, playing both bitingly honest and emotionally grounded with ease. Cameron Diaz shows off her rare cold side as an icy manipulator. The men are decent as well, with Burns on auto-pilot and fine nuanced work from John Mahoney and Mike McGlone. The sole dark spot in the cast is Maxine Bahns. There is something disconnected and confusing about her delivery and her characters actions. Burns wants his story to ring true, and for the most part it does, but in that search for honesty he stays away from any sort of conclusion. Like any good writer he understands that his characters have lived before what we see in the film and they also have lives to live after the credits roll. But where he stumbles, and this is something that really hinders the film's impact, is that with the ending, he does not let the audience in on what the characters feel. Things happen to them and they disappear. Since there is no catharsis for these people there is no catharsis for the audience. This is a major flaw and there are ways around it, but with this being his second feature, it's a bit understandable that he is scared of these risks. In the end, "She's the One" is still very much worth watching for it's biting humor, fantastic dialogue and Aniston's performance- just don't expect anything that satisfying in it's conclusion to match the rest of the film.
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
Watch it only for John Mahoney
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

January 26, 2008
She's The One is one of my favorite Ed Burns and Jennifer Aniston films. What a gem of a comedy that I have really enjoyed since originally watching it when released in 1996. I really like Ed Burns as an actor and this honest look into a set of brothers that deal with funny situations in NYC....if you want to see just one Ed Burns film this would be it!
Michael G

November 22, 2006
A funny movie. I liked it better than Brothers McMullen.
Lanning :

May 8, 2006
Boy, I hope this is a demonstation of Diaz' and McGlone's acting ability. Not the most pleasant people. As in The Brothers McMullen, Burns eeks out a happy ending, but not so happy for anyone else--with the exception of Jennifer Aniston. The very best part of this movie is John Mahoney, famous for playing the much put-upon dad in TV's Fraser.
iLeo
iLeo

April 12, 2007
A favorite.
shannylee38
shannylee38

December 20, 2006
its lame!!! Could ruin Aniston's career!
jam233
March 25, 2010
Likable romantic comedy, the cast does quite well. The characters do develop to a point, but there could have been more to them. It's certainly above average for films of this type. The plot twists were a plus and kept me interested. It looks good, well produced, fine photography and Edward Burns does a good job directing. It?s entertaining.
paparazzichick2001
June 13, 2008
I was unimpressed with this one. I loved how it ended though, that guy totally got what he deserved.
CassieTakenandInLove
June 19, 2007
I watched it and actually have 2 copies of this movie now!!! I love it!!! But I wish Jen had been in it a little more than she was.
SuperExGirlfriend
April 20, 2007
I recently saw this in argentina, in our hotel room. I'd never seen it, or heard of it. i loved it!1 excellent writing and acting. My son and I laughed our @sses off...
rove4me
February 14, 2007
Terrible, terrible movie (it's about a straight man who doesn't want to have sex with Jennifer Aniston) but the soundtrack is one of my all-time favorite CDs.
sheevermont
December 6, 2006
One of my all time faves for the dry witty humor of Ed Burns in both acting and directing this flipside to 'yuppiness & having it all '& what its all about to have it all.. Lets go ask your sista what she thinks..
ScarlettAnne97
June 13, 2006
I love this movie. Edward Burns really did a great job with directing the cast. I love everyone who was cast.
May 3, 2014
Ed Burns' movies are always cool!
The Critic
September 9, 2013
Edward Burns' stylish comedy is a cleverly written exercise in which cavemen and domineering women battle it out in the search of love. Delightfully performed across the board, though needless to say, Mike McGlone steals the show in this blend of fun, sentimentality and romance.
August 7, 2013
The movie was "okay"
January 2, 2013
What "She's the One" lacks in terms of charm or funny moments it makes up in irritating, annoying characters and you'll find yourself bored instead of amused. While there are a few laughs here and there (There's a good bit where Ed Burns' character has to convince multiple people that he isn't gay for example) and the film is well acted with some good dialogue, the story focusses mostly on depressing, unlikeable people that try and solve their petty problems the worst way possible, but not in the far-out way you would expect in a comedy, more in the childish immature way you would find in real life (There is a moment where the two brothers settle an argument in an incredibly immature way and it isn't even clever because it ends in a tired joke you can see coming a mile away). All of the men in the film are insecure and all of the women are frustrated and unhappy in their relationships and this would be fine if you saw them change and evolve but if you find a character annoying from the start, he or she will be just as annoying at the end of the film. It's just really hard to cheer or be interested in these characters when they don't feel like real people; they don't really seem to have dreams or ambitions and can barely deal with the situation they've been given so it gets dull following them drift aimlessly. There's certainly a niche audience for this film, but it's likability is entirely based on a case-by-case basis and if it's not your thing you'll likely become bored and irritated with it. (Dvd, January 1, 2013)
Bill C.
September 28, 2012
New to Blu-Ray.

This fine cast may have fared better with a sharper script. The mono-typical Wall Street / Call Girl extreme could have safely been eliminated with more textured material. Take the nuance out of "Nu York" at your peril.