Shoah

Shoah Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 22, 2013
Documentaries are wonderful in terms of presenting an important subject for a viewing audience. The medium has had its fair share of meaningful films. Some documentaries have been very important in terms of its subject. Shoah is such a film. The film, with a run time of over nine hours and directed by Claude Lanzmann is the definitive work on the Holocaust. With extensive interviews with survivors and a few guards and others involved in this horrible tragedy, which gives a comprehensive understanding of the entire ordeal. Brilliantly crafted, with pure subtlety, not using archive footage, Lanzmann paints a vivid picture of this tragedy with interviews and filming the locations where it all happened. I've seen my fair share of documentaries on the subject, and read plenty of books, but Claude Lanzmann's picture is the most comprehensive, detailed and in depth work that will definitely give a better understanding of the horrors of the Holocaust. Even with its terrifying and tragic subject, Shoah is a beautiful, subtle film that manages to be very powerful and eye opening. Never before or since has a documentary been this important. Shoah is a film that needs to be seen due to its subject. Yes, the film is very long, but in watching it, you'll get a better understanding of the Holocaust. Shoah is hard to watch, but ultimately it is necessary so that we can comprehend this tragedy that claimed the lives of so many people. This film is an important history lesson, and it is a film that will stay with you long after you've seen it. The film is nine hours, and is long, like I've stated before, but it covers so much detail that it is necessary to tell the entire story of the Holocaust. Claude Lanzmann has crafted something truly powerful; here. This is an unmatched picture that is in a category of its own, and even if you have doubts about watching it due to its run time, you must definitely give this documentary a shot, you won't regret it. If you've ever been interested in the subject, Shoah is the perfect film to watch and you'll walk away from it with a better understanding of the cruelty of the Nazis towards the Jews during the Second World War. This is among the most powerful films ever made, and if you end up watching it, I think you'll agree.
September 5, 2012
Some of the most important footage ever shot -- interviews with participants and victims and bystanders of the Holocaust.
August 16, 2009
It could have been shorter without much loss in impact. There are also some other questions I've seen, but I suspect those are half-truths raised by idiotic Holocaust deniers. Watch for yourself, it's important.
JexyMG
June 11, 2009
This documentary is impossible to forget once you have seen it, and is just flat out gut wrenching. So powerful and long, give yourself 3 days to watch it or else you could end up a bit depressed if you try to go at it all at once. This is a must see for anyone who is interested in learning from the past and not wanting another Holocaust to ever happen again.
July 22, 2013
This 9 hr and 30 min documentary focusing on the persecution, torture, and injustices committed against the Jews during WWII might be the most groundbreaking and timeless documentary ever created, for any subject. There isn't many words that can adequately explain the depth of this movie. It features interviews with Holocaust survivors, war personnel and historians, family members of those persecuted, and even former Nazis filmed with a hidden camera, all in a variety of languages and locations. Filmed in 1985, the persons portrayed in this movie are still young enough to have the war still fresh in their minds, and this definitely shows in several scenes where seemingly tough and emotionless victims break down in tears as they recount their stories to the director who is off screen. The documentary touched me deeply and I definitely feel changed after having experienced it. I recommend it for everyone, although obviously not in one sitting. And definitely with a frame of mind ready to absorb difficult emotions.
July 23, 2013
So everybody say "Shicndler's List" is the greatest film ever made based on deafning nightmares of The Holocaust. But for me nothing will come close to this 9 and 1/2 exhaustive piece of genocide and brutality. Shoah hits you like a shot in the heart.
nate2709
June 27, 2013
I'd give it 7 stars out of 5 if I could, the only word to accurately describe this film is 'Monumental'.
May 21, 2013
A masterpiece that some people like me watch over and over again. Way above any work of fiction.
September 27, 2012
This may be the most important film ever made. Sure there are other films on the subject that are shorter, more entertaining, or more beautiful to look at, but no other film I've seen can even come close. Depressing, poignant, and surreal, it will shake you to the core. This film should be a required watch for all of humanity.
March 9, 2013
I honestly want to see this with all my heart but NINE AND A HALF HOURS is a very, very long time.
December 6, 2011
It takes real patience to sit through this epic, but if you do, you will be rewarded with one of the most powerful, and essential, viewing experiences in TV or film; the most essential and devastating of all Holocaust films. Shoah probably comes as close as any show or movie can in "changing" the viewer after it is over. Watch it straight through or watch it in sections. Either way, it should be watched.
Michael H.
January 1, 2012
An extremely valuable document of the extermination of Jews during WWII. The twenty-five years since it's release add a second layer as a document of the 70s, when it was filmed. I am ambivalent about the length of the film. The length allows us to get to know the interviewees and the locations well and become immersed in the details of lives lived so immersed in horror that it became, for some, routine. On the other hand, the innumerable and sometimes repetitious advancing or retreating shots and the subtitling of the interviews conducted via translator could have been tightened up in editing to cut an hour or more off the running length with little chance of undermining it's impact.

I expect that the running time was more effective in the mid-Eighties when the film was released and these stories were a revelation than it is now when most of us have been exposed to many, many details of WWII that were less easily shared in the decades closer to the war.
Brandon M.
March 24, 2011
A true look at the horrors of the Holocaust from the views of survivors, bystanders and the ones who carried the heinous acts out.

Will say due to its length you should invest alot of time into watching it or break it into smaller segments, come might call that a bad way to watch it but whatever it takes to let people watch it.
garfield2710
March 18, 2011
This film is an extraordinary documentary on the horrors of the Holocaust. Here is the astonishing feat, it creates a sense of terror and sadness with using no archival footage, period. It relies just on the words of survivors, ex-Nazi soldiers and witnesses, and their words strike terror into our heart and sorrow in our soul. This film single-handedly did the impossible and almost made me cry (so far only 2 films have ever done it, and this film got the closest). This film is absolutely astonishing and is a fantastic feat in films. If the film does have one flaw it's that the film is too powerful. This film is so powerful that it's nearly impossible to absorb the film all at once. You have to take it piece by piece to be abundantly absorbed by the film. There is not a film that comes to my mind that is more important than this. You have to have the patience because this is a 9 and a half hour long film, but if you're willing to go with it, you're going to find yourself immersed by this unbelievably astounding piece of cinema.