Shogun

90% Outlander: Season 1

Shogun Reviews

Anthony V

October 21, 2008
One of the great mini-series from the 1980's. Avoid the choppy theatrical cut.
September 30, 2012
Really impressive technically especially for a tv movie especially for the time. But the story is just ludicrous. I almost burst out laughing when the main character tried to explain the Treaty of Tordesillas to the shogun. Like he would ever understand him or accept his authority.
rickrudge
January 27, 2010
Shogun (1980)

I agree that this was the best TV mini-series ever made. I had several VHS tapes of it, from it's original broadcasts, but those are long gone. It has also been recently released on DVD. Based on James Clavell's 1,200+ page novel about a 16th century British/Dutch privateer being shipwrecked in Japan and loosely based on actual events in Japanese history. The mini-series was a collaboration of Japanese and American film makers.

Ships pilot (navigator), John Blackthorne (Richard Chamberlain) and his men are captured by the Japanese. John has a talent for languages and is asked by the daimyo (nobleman), Lord Toranaga (Toshiro Mifune) to learn Japanese, especially when he finds that Blackthorne's Protestants are at war with the Spanish and Portuguese Catholics. Toranaga knows that he can get some insights into these foreign devils.

Lord Toranaga has some problems of his own with a power struggle of daimyos vying for ultimate control, to be the most powerful general (below the emperor) in Japan. To become Shogun.

The mini-series did a fairly good job of conveying the various factions and cultures, and how good or badly they related to each other.
December 26, 2008
This is an excellent movie for any Japophile or anyone just starting the study of samurai. Very well done for being American and from 1980.
July 23, 2014
Incredible cast including Kurosawa veteran actor Toshiro Mifune. Without whom, Kurosawa would not be the iconic legend he is. Mifune was the scene stealing star of the series above the very captivating Chamberlain. I could only wish that it were filmed in today's more enlightened and liberal film industry.
October 7, 2012
Although it suffered from some hammy acting (Mostly by Chamberlain), It was well-written and very detailed. (to the point of being excessively slow). Toshiro Mifune was beyond reproach, as was most of the Japanese cast. John Rhys-Davies and Vladek Shebal also get major props.
August 28, 2012
a truly fantastic miniseries that has withstood the test of time like no other. you really can't say enough about it. five stars.
Faroeislander
December 9, 2009
I Just finished watching this great show last night.
vic40186
March 23, 2009
:fresh: [b][i]Shogun is an outstanding mini series that shows life in Japan during the early 1600's, the production is impecable and all the performances are brilliant, Orson Welles' narrating voice was nice. The whole show is exciting and entertaining, it's unique.[/i][/b]