Shooting the Past - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shooting the Past Reviews

½ February 6, 2012
Interesting. The photos in this are extraordinary. The movie itself was a little slow, and rather anticlimatic.
February 23, 2015
Nobody makes TV lie Poliakof, almost perfect.
½ August 23, 2012
"Shooting the Past is extrodinary and unique."
An absolutely beautifully put together series, Timothy Spall stirs the pot with Chaos and mystery. The creeping climatic ending is unpredictable, unsuspectingly and utterly heartbreaking. The Photographs alone are worth the investment, their history surrounding them mesmerise your curiosity.
½ February 6, 2012
½ May 29, 2011
An absolutely beautifully put together series, Not to everyone's taste as it's a little slow going but i think it needs to be to draw you in the way it does. Definitely a must for those fascinated by old photographs
August 27, 2009
Top notch, 5 star, absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! Such a beautiful film, so so grand. Fanbloodytastic. Goes to show, that films can be just as wonderful, even more wonderful, without violence and running about. Stunning film. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! Timothy Spall fabulous, as well as all the others.... :D
½ August 14, 2009
Interesting, different and enchanting film, one of my all-time favourites. Beautiful, haunting music and a story like no other I've seen.

Timothy Spall is a genious in my book.
December 8, 2008
a touch of magic makes this a classic
December 1, 2008
Interesting and engrossing made-for-cable movie.
November 5, 2008
I really enjoyed this when it came out and managed to see it again a few years ago. For anyone who values history and morns the loss of historical artifacts or memorabila, then this is one for you.
½ April 27, 2008
Beauty and narrative come together. As in the pictures we get to see in the movie, the various snapshots of different people in different points of their lives, the movie bases itself on an undercurrent of character plot. There is no high drama, no climactic revelations, no tingling suspense: but it was captivating nevertheless. Ordinarily, one would expect something extravagant, perhaps with a touch of humor, faced with a storyline like this. But there is no bang in the efforts by the employees. Marilyn is decidedly awkward trying to get sellers for the collection. She cannot lie, cannot charm (and I laughed at the Stephen Spielberg scene).
But the high point of the movie was undoubtedly the "storytelling" sessions, which was basically what the library specialized in, and what kept me awed. I mean, just thinking about how much effort and dedication it must have required to gather all the pictures from all over the collection together into a coherent story -- it boggles the mind. I loved the two stories that were told. The absolute gorgeousness of the photos, the beautiful background score and Lindsay Duncan's voice made those truly the best and most mesmerizing moments of the whole movie.
The performances are great. Lindsay Duncan is as endearing as Timothy Spall is eccentric. The rest of the "employees" are equally interesting in their "quirks". Makes me want to work there.
December 31, 2007
perfect in every way
November 24, 2007
A film in which I get completely lost, beautifully, every time I see it
November 13, 2007
An absolute classic. Works on many levels and from all aspects. A brilliant film for the long winter nights.
November 10, 2007
Stunning. One of the best things I've ever seen. Watched it many times over the years and it just seems to get better every time. Outstanding.
November 10, 2007
it's amazing but throughout the film i wanted mr. anderson (liam) and whatsherface (lindsay) the kiss because i think they've got an amazing on screen chemisry :) if anyone understands that
July 9, 2007
a beautiful and very sad film.
November 4, 2007
one of the very best TV dramas ever made. Lindsay Duncan is utterly convincing - Spall is perfect. Makes me cry every time I see it. So good it gets 5 stars even though it has a few flaws (eg the ending can't better the build-up). Fantastic music.
November 3, 2007
i loved it! the storytelling with the photos just sucks you in completely!
November 2, 2007
I cry every time such a great TV drama