Shopworn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shopworn Reviews

jjnxn
½ September 22, 2014
Hopelessly cliche story but Stanwyck rises above it with her great talent and intensity. She looks amazing as well.
Antonius Block
½ March 31, 2016
This is a pretty ordinary little film about a young waitress (Barbara Stanwyck) who falls in love with a wealthy college student (Regis Toomey) who will go on to become a doctor, and how his mother strives to break up their relationship. I rounded it up a bit because of Stanwyck's performance; she is such a natural and has a couple of great scenes. I also liked how she was such a strong woman - her character was toughened by her father's death, and she stands up to unwanted advances while waitressing, endures being sent away to a woman's reformatory on morality charges, and tells Toomey off when he returns to her after she's made it as a dancer. Being committed for trumped up morality reasons is outrageous today, but it was reality then, and the mother had also considered getting her committed to an asylum, a real practice stemming from the 19th century. If you don't like 'em or they're threatening in some way, lock 'em up. The ending is unfortunately a little dippy, but you could do worse than watch this one, and it's almost entirely due to Stanywck.

One of the great scenes has her throwing money in a guy's face after he tries to bribe her into leaving town to get her out of Toomey's life:
"What are you trying to make of me - what you wish I was? Something cheap and common, something that money can buy? Well, you can't. Nobody can! You and the nice, decent people who sent you here are the real cheap ones, trying to put a price on something there isn't any price for! If that's being decent, I'm glad I'm common! If that's being rich, I'm glad I'm cheap, and I'm gonna stay cheap! Because no matter how cheap I am, I'm not for sale!"
½ March 7, 2014
Pretty good little drama, loses some steam in the 2nd half/last third or so, and the ending is a little weak, too. Again, Barbara Stanwyck was so gorgeous; the biggest problem is when her character becomes successful in the span of one minute of film time, right after showing her getting out the reform prison place (and the judge, whom for some reason sets Kitty up - is he trying to bang the old lady? Don't get it - never gets any comeuppance for his awful behavior.
August 16, 2012
A good example of pre-code Hollywood. Today's audiences may have a little trouble with the premise and the plot unless they understand the attitudes of the time. At the heart, it is a fair romance that gets going quickly by inferring a lot off camera.
Antonius Block
½ March 31, 2016

½ December 14, 2014
a not so good early movie of Capra, but still it wasnt so bad eaither
jjnxn
½ September 22, 2014
½ March 7, 2014
August 3, 2013
Soap opera storyline but Barbara Stanwyck is still fabulous.
August 16, 2012
July 19, 2012
good pre-code melodrama
March 9, 2011
another gritty pre-code drama that showcases stanwyck's talents
September 30, 2010
This movie has great moments. And Barbara Stanwyck's acting is awesome as usual.

Judge Forbes: I thought you'd prefer cash. Five thousand dollars. Merely for leaving town, immediately.

Kitty Lane: What are you trying to make of me--what you wish I was? Something cheap and common, something that money can buy?
Well, you can't. Nobody can! You and the nice, decent people who sent you here are the real cheap ones ... trying to put a price on something there isn't any price for.
If that's being decent, I'm glad I'm common!