ShowBusiness: The Road to Broadway Reviews

Harlequin68
½ June 4, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Show Business: The Road to Broadway" is a blithely entertaining documentary about the 2003-2004 Broadway season focusing on four musicals - Wicked, Avenue Q, Taboo and Caroline, or Change, from the plays' conception to the 2004 Tony Awards with an amazing amount of backstage access. However, I do wish there had been some information for the uninitiated on such topics as applause which is heard after all plays and the TKTS booth at Times Square which offers half-price tickets to select Broadway shows on the day of performance.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]In general, the documentary is concerned with what makes a Broadway play a success in this day and age when the critic of the New York Times no longer has the power of life and death.(By the way, no reputable critic should comment on the possible appeal of a play, just on how good it is. And critics vote on the Tony Awards.) The short answer is: who knows? As somebody mentions, producers invest in a show out of love. If they wanted a better investment on their money, then they should go to Atlantic City and play roulette instead. Some plays might have a cult following but that is not enough. What usually does not work is a big name which can actually work against a show.(By the way, is it just me or does Tony Kushner writing a musical just seem odd?) My best guess would be to find an idea that appeals to people who do not traditionally go to the theatre. For example, I generally do not like musicals but I think I would find Avenue Q or Wicked appealing. [/font]
½ November 28, 2008
Pretty cool.
½ June 19, 2007
Gives you a little peek inside what it really takes to get a show on Broadway. While watching it I came to the conclusion that Taboo really did get screwed over, some of the theatre critics are not very nice, and being an actor isn't all fun and games. I'm now proud to say that I have so much more respect for these people that put a show together than ever before. I just wish that they'd included something about Avenue Q's "Vote with your heart" Tony campaign, and wasn't it heartbreaking when Euan Morton lost his Working Visa and had to leave the country after Taboo closed?
Harlequin68