Side Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Side Out Reviews

deano
March 19, 2007
I love this very favourite sport film - beach volleyball. Lots of beautiful and sexy women at the beach and more exciting in the contests that C. Thomas Howell and Peter Horton make fantastic volleyball skills sequences.
½ September 14, 2011
Pure 80's indulgence.
iLeo
January 6, 2008
For some strange reasons, I like this movie.
March 26, 2012
This really isn't a good movie. But it's a fun one. It's an 80s treat that was released in 1990. It stars Peter Horton (relevant tv star at the time) and C. Thomas Howell (desperately clinging to relevancy). It's almost as if someone saw the beach volleyball scene in Top Gun and said, "Let's do that for 2 hours, but with less expensive actors."
½ December 11, 2011
Side Out is a classic sports/buddy movie and one of the few, if only, movies about volleyball. The acting is pretty decent here. C. Thomas Howell and Courtney Thorne-Smith (so HOT!!) have some good chemisty and Peter Horton is great as the old pro Zack Barnes. Terry Kiser also does a great job playing the jerk lawyer trying to evict Barnes, a role not too unsimilar to his portrayal or Bernie (before he died of course). There are some pretty good volleyball scenes here as well and it was cool that a lot of the great volleyball players of the time were featured in the movie with actual roles and not just players in the background or used in some type of action montage. Lastly, Side Out features a pretty awesome soundtrack highlighted by one of my two favorite Kenny Loggins' songs: Playing With The Boys. I highly recommend this movie.
July 9, 2008
While I lived in Orange County, California, I played on the California Beach Volleyball Association. I went from A to AAA play and was only four tourneyments from going onto the Professional Circut before I moved here to the Denver Metroplitan area. I have met/ practiced with such people as Karch Kiraly!
½ June 4, 2008
C Thomas Howell as a wannabe lawyer/beach bum very believable.....fun to watch you find yourself cheering and hoping towards the end
June 7, 2015
Nostalgic 90s cheese. It's a common theme, executed well for a 90s b-movie.
August 24, 2014
Best handset of all time chuckles. Vanilla Thunder delivers fantastic line about his years in ballet how can you go wrong. Give me half....
June 8, 2014
This is the worst movie I have ever seen. I dont know how this movie has a 61% approval rating.
April 16, 2012
There has never been a more flawless film than C. Thomas Howell's volleyball epic Side Out
March 26, 2012
March 24, 2012
Don't listen to Jody's lies! This movie is horrible
½ December 11, 2011
½ November 11, 2011
I love volleyball and the volleyball action just didnt cut it for me.
½ September 14, 2011
Pure 80's indulgence.
½ July 26, 2011
A classic that's still enjoyable to watch today.
½ October 13, 2010
Good movie i've seen about volleyball, enjoyed somehow.Got sport and friendship thing going on.
½ July 17, 2010
June 28, 2010
Side Out is a 1990 film about beach volleyball competition, featuring C. Thomas Howell, Peter Horton and Courtney Thorne-Smith.