Silent Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Movie Reviews

May 23, 2013
Clever idea for a 15 minute short film is dragged out to a full-length feature. Not only does the gimmick get old fast, but the non-silent era stars don't have the chops to pull off expressive silent acting. I almost never laughed. At least the theater will be quiet enough for you to fall asleep during this dud.
½ September 6, 2010
In case you're wonder, yes this movie is silent! Brooks brings us nostalgia of the old silents, and it is hilarious. If you like his films, I highly recommend seeing this one too.
July 29, 2010
so bad it's good, brooks, as usual ("if it works, don't fix it") mugs his way thru this movie about the very movie yer watchin' ("a brilliant idea!!!"), the promised homage to silent films is trampled somewhere, raped in an alley and left for dead. what's left is bits and pieces. the women steal the show here, bancroft and peters turning in the only valid performances. the best part is unintended, wherein "the stars" pose for cameos in the credits "as themselves" and we get to see their apparent discomfort playing that part. it was made in the seventies, and mere nostalgia prompted me give this film one more star than it deserved, and maybe a star and a half.
MeetMeinMontauk
December 31, 2009
I think the mimicking of silent era acting was funny even if the story was so so. Still, the slapstick and physical comedy made it worth it. "Ars es pecunia" was the greatest line of the whole movie, for any of you with an ounce of Latin.
FilmFanatik
½ April 29, 2007
Bless you Mel Brooks. Even when your movies weren't perfect, they're still a hell of a lotta fun.
½ February 8, 2007
Being a silent movie most of the jokes are visual gags. Many many good visual gags, especially the ones involving the style of silent movies. Some action is sped up to humorous effect, the sound effect selections are zany, and the title cards are used sparingly. Marty and Sid mug for the camera quite a bit, most of the time to great effect, but sometimes to lesser success. Bernadette Peters was wonderful. This combined with the couple comedies she did with Steve Martin in the late 70's and early 80's show she has great comic talent. Some of the segments with the big stars Mel is seeking are better than others. The first celebrity, Burt Reynolds, is the best at sending up his perceived personality.
neumdaddy
March 13, 2007
Shine on me luminous today, and shine on past the tops of my shoulders
Show my feet the step ahead, stay hope on the gilded road to dawn
All the world must forget me now, as scattering ravens its memory flown
And bury my years in bone and ash, please spare not yesterday its tomb
Take me where the song needs singing, take me to the time I'm gone
Where dust of higher things float free, and boughs of ancient forests yawn
Of quiet excite in empty theaters, that merry shadow dance is mine
The truth of dreams is morrow's words, a verse away from being known
So as one concedes Imagine's game, its buoyant laughter wise and long
I leave my eyes and better lives, embalming pulse of showers loom
To walk this path of blinding summits, a thousand kings away from golden
March 11, 2012
Despite the very high rating this is not my favorite Mel Brooks movie. It just wasn't the funniest think he put out there. I loved the originality, which the 2011 Oscar winner The Artist stole from it. But this movie wasn't laugh out loud funny
DrStrangeblog
October 11, 2010
Best gag is actually the one speaking line! Or rather, the person who says it.
March 26, 2014
Mel Brooks sends up both the silent film era (in particular the slapstick work of Chaplin and Keaton), as well as the corporate takeover of Hollywood in this comedy made in the 1970s. Brooks plays Mel Funn, and he and his cohorts of Dom Bell (Dom DeLuise) and Marty Eggs (Marty Feldman) attempt to save a Hollywood Studio with a silent movie starring the biggest stars in Hollywood, and prevent Engulf and Devour (a clear parody of Gulf+Western) from taking over the studio. It is great to see big strs from the 70s not taking themselves seriously, and I enjoyed the parody and genuine slapstick nonsense that ensues. Good fun for any Brooks fan.
July 6, 2012
(4 Stars) Before The Artist there was another silent movie called... well, Silent Movie. And this Mel Brooks comedy captures all of the charm and fun of a Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton film. It really is hard to act with only your body but when you can pull it off, it's great. And boy, did the team of Brooks, Marty Feldman, and Dom DeLuise pull it off, This is very funny stuff; the slapstick and (title carded) wordplay along with the celebrity cameos are great. Paul Newman, James Caan, and Anne Bancroft among others are there long enough to get a joke across, but not short enough for a quick paycheck. I know Silent Movie isn't as iconic as Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, or Spaceballs, but it is still very funny and a funny film on Brooks' resume.
March 20, 2010
Wow. Sheer insanity. Definitely one of Mel Brooks' bravest movies- and it completely worked! Brilliant comedy and visual slapstick and who can ask for more than the cameos of some of my favorite actors? Marvelous Madness.
November 27, 2009
Inventive and mostly funny. The whole silent movie gag wears thin though after awhile. Still, the hysterically funny appearances by guest stars is a great touch, and there are some brilliant scenes. Not all the jokes work, but when they do it?s great.
½ December 17, 2008
Mel Brooks' is a comedic genius. I love this film and you will too. Wish they had this film in subtitles...haha that was a joke, a bad one at that.
½ July 13, 2008
Who could forget the scene in the board room when he pulls down the poster and the table rises with everyone's hands on top of the table???
May 29, 2008
the rebirth of Vaudeville-style slapstick in the common movie era. the plot itself wasn't very deep or intricate, but nor were they in silent films either. brilliant cast, amazing sight gags and physical comedy, and a great homage to Hollywood past and present--a true Mel Brooks gem.
½ June 10, 2007
A very overlooked Mel Brooks film. This movie is brilliant. You are watching a film about a Silent Movie being made while you are watching it. And the cameos in here are all great here. And the late great Marty Feldman give one of his last great performance.
½ April 9, 2007
Who else would make a movie in which Marcel Marceau the famous mime gets in the only spoken word! Fun and funny.
March 22, 2007
Mel proves that he is a master of ALL forms of comedy! He is (and I know I've said this b4) a genius when it comes to comedy! The only word spoken in this film is said by a mime! and yes a mime!