Silent Tongue Reviews

December 12, 2007
Great film!!
½ December 28, 2006
The ending wasn't the greatest and I didn't understand how her face on her body was so pretty but the spirits face wasn't.
May 23, 2007
I had low expectations for this film and cringed when the Native American characters showed up. Though the film is not that bad. Sam Shepard did a pretty decent job.
July 22, 2015
All he needs is a voice.

Talbot is a man who can't handle the death of his Indian bride and sits under a tree waiting for his death to join her. His father, who made a trade for the Indian bride, seeks the bride's sister in hopes that she can snap his son out of it. The sister reluctantly agrees to help the father but they have no idea how gone the son will be when they finally reach him.

"She's just going to die on you...just like I did."

Sam Shepard, director of Far North, delivers Silent Tongue in his second major motion picture. The storyline for this picture was just okay and kind of cliché for the genre, but the settings and cast are above average. The cast includes River Phoenix, Alan Bates, Richard Harris, Bill Irwin, and Dermot Mulroney.

"The whole prairie is thirsting for our women."

I came across a few River Phoenix movies on Netflix and decided to add all of them to my wish list. This was a very average and mediocre addition to the western genre and did not display Phoenix's talent, in my opinion. There really isn't much to see here and I'd probably skip this movie unless you're a fan of the Phoenix.

"Their dogs will be eating our testicles by nightfall."

Grade: C-
September 13, 2014
If you are drunk or on drugs this movie may actually make sense...otherwise don't waste your valuable time.
October 13, 2011
I KNOW there is a good movie lurking-around somewhere in this poorly edited film . . .

River's Last

(aside from DARK BLOOD)

would somebody release the footage from Dark Blood please?
August 10, 2010
To call this quirky, brooding film a western is a failure of imagination since it is nothing less than a classical tragedy, a sort of Hamlet set in the American west circa 1875. ^Silent Tongue^ is a Sam Sheppard film with a stout cast and ambitious themes. It is helped toward that end by the venerable talents of Alan Bates as a drunken Irish thespian and snake oil salesman (what a great archetype) along with Richard Harris as the desperate father of a young man lost in madness from grieving the death of his Indian wife. It does not hurt that the screenplay^s characters sometimes speak with the cadence and tone of formal 17th Century English mixed with a touch of cowboy colloquy. It helps even more that there are murderous ghosts and allusions to suicide. After about 30 minutes of trying to get a peg to hang my movie genre hat on, I was left with a question. "What the frakk is going on here?" That is why eventually I gave up and accepted it for what it was--a Shakespearian western. Aside from that, its a slow stroll with lots of dramatic flourishes and an unexpected touch of Grand Guignol. Dermott Mulroney and River Phoenix are evident in support. Native American actress Sheila Tousey is absolutely terrific. Watch it but in the right mood.