—— Transcendence Apr 18

—— Warehouse 13: Season 5

Singin' in the Rain Reviews

Carlos M

December 28, 2010
The classic of all classics when it comes to musicals. A wonderful film that is light, entertaining, very funny, with priceless dialogue and fantastic choreographies - and where even an out-of-place Broadway number is delightful enough to make us forgive it for being there.
Daniel P

December 9, 2007
I can't say a bad word about this classic - in addition to making me smile the whole way through, it's a film about the film industry. Donald O'Connor nearly steals the show with his zany supporting role, and Gene Kelly is magical in the lead, walking that line between musical corny and believably sincere. The songs endure, and - perhaps the film's biggest surprise - the visuals are varied, and gigantic, and stunning. One for the ages, jam-packed with love and life and laughter. It's beautifully done.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
Marvellous, wonderful, and awe-inspiring, this film does absolutely everything right. The characters are some of the most memorable in film history and the musical numbers will have you standing up, tapping your feet, and singing along to the amazing lyrics. The story revolves around a popular Hollywood actor who is falling in love with an up-and-coming star, during the era when sound was being introduced into film, and might I say, it is shown with brilliance and hilarity. The script for this film had me smiling the whole way through and the multiple camera angles that it pulls off is very surprising for it's time, and makes me appreciate it that much more! "Singing In The Rain" is a timeless classic that has now become one of my favourite films of all time.
cosmo313
cosmo313

March 21, 2010
I can't believe it took me so long to finally get around to watching this. Long before The Artist, this often lauded Gene Kelly musical took a stab at the world of filmmaking, particular the uneasy transition (especially for performers) from silent pictures to talkies.

It's a wonderful (and wonderfully simple) story, but that's just fine. It's overwhelming in its charm and entertainment factor, but something really stuck out for me: this is, despite being really good, quite overrated. Yes, the musical nubers are outstanding, the singing and dancing are great, the cinematography looks beautiful, and there's some memorable sequences, but overall, this feels rather light. Also, it bugs me that most of the musicals numbers aren't really there to serve the story or move things forward.

I also can't help but think my enjoyment of this movie was somewhat sullied due to the usage of the title song during an infamous moment in A Clockwork Orange, and that several others songs felt warmed over due to being used heavily in commercials and through references on Family Guy.

There are some good performances though, and, the subject matter is great stuff (I'd love to read a scholarly monograph on the impact of the transition from silence to sound). The performances are pretty good, and this is pure, good natured fun, but, as I said, it doesn't quite hold up as being a masterful classic.
Kevin C

December 30, 2011
Super duper dopeness. The cat's meow, the poor man's humility, THE bomb, Singin' in the Rain is one of the finest pinnacles of American cinema.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
A lot of people, often critics, will say something to the effect of, "They don't make movies like they used to." And usually I'll disagree with them. There are new, incredible films being made every year and just because times may have changed it doesn't mean that film standards have dropped with them. However, this film is a prime example of the theory that they don't make them like they used to, because there has never been, nor will there be anything quite like Singin' in the Rain.

Don Lockwood is a silent film actor in a world which is all too rapidly making the transition to talking pictures: "talkies." His newest film, The Dancing Cavalier, is going to prove a bigger problem due to his co-star's complete lack of singing talent. Or just the fact that when she talks you'd swear there was a cat in a blender somewhere.

First, there's the performances. Gene Kelly plays Don Lockwood who somehow worked his way up from stuntman to leading man and is now struggling to keep it that way. Kelly is amazing: charming, smart and funny as well as having a godlike talent in a pair of tap shoes. He has the innate ability to endear himself to you the moment he opens his mouth, an old world movie star if there ever was one. Despite his natural talent, he's also able to slip into the character perfectly, keeping traces of his humble beginnings about him despite being the biggest silent film star on the planet. His double act partner, Donald O'Connor, plays Cosmo Brown, one of the musicians for the films his friend stars in. He is an absolute gem in the film, his slapstick mugging working perfectly for his over-the-top character. He and Kelly are amazing together, their lines flying by quicker than you can catch them and affecting the sort of friendship which makes you believe that they really are the best of friends. With a duller script his shameless mugging would be annoying or pathetic but here it works brilliantly. Debbie Reynolds is Kathy Selden, Don Lockwood's love interest as well as his secret weapon for the upcoming film. She's an incredible talent, not just a pretty face and a good voice but able to hold her own with the two other leads, a feat in itself. The other performers in the piece play their parts well but are merely backgrounding for the big three already mentioned. Special mention, however, goes to Jean Hagen for her woman-scorned/dullard portrayal of Lina Lamont who is hilarious and incredibly memorable for her part. However, it's the way these performers come together which is truly great to watch. Each of the three mains work together so well that it's just a joy to have them onscreen.

Musicals often face the danger of putting everything into the songs while forgetting about story or character. But, thanks to Adolph Green and Betty Comden's screenplay, the dialogue sparkles just as brightly as the musical set-pieces. Treading the line between farce and drama, these two writers pack as much character and humour as it's possible to put into a script, creating realistic and loveable characters which have lasted the test of time. They also manage to avoid the cliched storylines and dilemmas which so often plague films of the same genre, creating something entirely original and fresh, refreshing even after fifty years of cinema.

Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly's direction is flawless. Rather than the quick cutting and intense camera movement which is supposed to create more excitement but is really just proof of the director's lack of confidence, Kelly and Donen are content to simply enjoy the spectacle of each amazing set-piece. Their restraint is on display throughout the entire film, trusting that the audience is feeling each moment without the need for explicitly telling them.

But despite the fact that the plot and character work is so good, the real draw of the film is the musical set-pieces. Make 'em Laugh, Good Morning, Singin' In The Rain, Gotta Dance, each piece incredible in its own right and completely awe-inspiring. The cast's astonishing ability is in full throttle here, tapping and singing like their lives depend on it. The songs themselves are brilliant but combined with the spectacle onscreen, they are simply astounding. And it's this joyous vision onscreen which is the film's biggest achievement. Singin' in the Rain is so wonderfully light and refreshing that it is a literal breath of fresh air and has been since its creation. 50 years on and it's still one of the greatest movies of all time.

Defining Scene:
Gene Kelly sings in the rain.

Quotes:
Oh Donny! You couldn't kiss me like that and not mean it just a teensy bit!
Meet the greatest actor in the world! I'd rather kiss a tarantula.
You don't mean that.
I don't - - Hey Joe, get me a tarantula.

What's wrong with the way I talk? What's the big idea? Am I dumb or something?

Cosmo, call me a cab.
Ok, you're a cab.

Talking pictures, that means I'm out of a job. At last I can start suffering and write that symphony.
You're not out of job, we're putting you in as head of our new music department.
Oh, thanks, R.F.! At last I can stop suffering and write that symphony.

I happen to be in love with her.
That's ridiculous. Everbody knows your in love with me.

Lina, you were gorgeous.
Yeah, Lina, you looked pretty good for a girl.

What's the matter with that girl? Can't she take a gentle hint?
Well haven't ya heard? She's irresistible. She told me so herself.

Short people have long faces, and long people have short faces. Big people have little humor, and little people have no humor at all.

The price of fame. You've got the glory, you gotta take the little heartaches that go with it. Now look at me: I've got no fame, I've got no glory, I've got no big mansions, I've got no money! But I've got - what have I got?
I don't know, what have you got?
I gotta get out of here.

Lina, you're a beautiful woman. Audiences think you've got a voice to match. The studio's gotta keep their stars from looking ridiculous at any cost.
Nobody's got that much money.

Don't tell me, it's a flat tire.
I can't undertand it. This car hasn't given me a lick of trouble in nearly 6 hours.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 10, 2011
The greatest musical in the history of film. The plot was genius and fun, the music was possibly some of the greatest of all time, and a great cast that is memorable and great. It truly desrves every bit of praise it has, I love this musical.
Everett J

July 23, 2011
I'm not much into musicals(although I've always liked "Moulin Rouge" for some reason), but this is a fantastic movie. I'm working my way through the AFI top 100, and this is number 5 on that list. I would say out of all the musicals I've watched, this is actually the best one. Made in 1952, the songs remain catchy, and the dances remain entertaining as hell. Gene Kelly was a true movie star. I was trying to think of someone today would could be his equal, and I could only come up with one, Justin Timberlake. Kelly's acting was great, his voice was perfect(especially singing the title track), and his dancing is better than most pop sensations today. My favorite character was Cosmo. He has some great little one liners and just the real subtle humor that makes for a memorable performance. A couple of the songs from this movie will probably end up on my MP3 player cause their stuck in my head. Great movie to remind people of a different era in movies and performances by true entertainers.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

February 1, 2008
#5 American Film Institute's Greatest Movie of All Time, and I thought that accomplishment for this movie wasn't an exaggeration because this movie was really good.. I'm not a big fan of musical movie, but I always appreciate them and for "Singin' In The Rain" it was a brilliant work.. Not only the cast did a great job, the choreography, the music, they're all magnificent.. I just can't say another words, I'm amazed by this movie and for this movie landed #5 American Film Institute's Greatest Movie of All Time, this movie really deserved it..
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

May 5, 2011
Clearly not my genre, but you can't deny Kelly's skill, or Charisse's hotness.
Lewis C

May 2, 2010
Full review later.
Drew S

January 21, 2007
Film craftsmanship of unmatched form. Anyone who says they don't like this is just trying to sound edgy, or at least doesn't know what they're talking about.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is one of the great musicals of the the fifties, if you like musicals, you should see this one. It's also about the movie industry, one of my favourite themes.
Anthony L

October 29, 2010
I like musicals but not this kind. Gene Kelly is a real charmer and his persona really shines through what is really a ridiculous story with songs that have no relevance to what's going on at all. The song 'Make em' laugh' has to be one of the most annoying ever written and always seems to be sung by the most unfunny of people. All that aside, the dream-like dance scenes were great and you can't be anything but impressed by the production, not a bad film at all, just not my cup of tea. The rating is based purely on my enjoyment.
Albert K

September 21, 2010
Best musical ever.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
One of the best films of MGM's magic period of movie making.
Aaron N

October 2, 2006
Don Lockwood: Which of my pictures have you seen?
Kathy: I don't remember. I saw one once.
Don Lockwood: You saw one once?
Kathy: Yes, I think you were dueling and there was a girl - Lina Lamont. But I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all.
Don Lockwood: Thank you.
Kathy: Oh, no offense. Movies are entertaining enough for the masses but the personalities on the screen just don't impress me. I mean they don't talk, they don't act, the just make a lot of dumb show. Well, you know

While I admire a lot of the choreography that was involved in this movie, its a credit to how much I don't care for musicals that I wasn't very taken by this film. I enjoyed the mean Lina Lamont character, along with Debbie Reynolds and fast actin' Donald O'Connor, but Gene Kelly kinda bugged me. Really, much of this film revolved around extended dance/musical numbers, which was expected, but not really executed in a way that kept my interest held intently.

Lina: Oh Donny! You couldn't kiss me like that and not mean it just a teensy bit!
Don Lockwood: Meet the greatest actor in the world! I'd rather kiss a tarantula.
Lina: You don't mean that.
Don Lockwood: I don't - - Hey Joe, get me a tarantula.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 4, 2007
overrated but still enjoyable
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 29, 2007
I do not know why i put it of so long, i thoroughly enjoyed this movie its amazing and definately a classic!!
the movie as really funny in places and the singing was fantastic with amazing dance routines and tap routines!!
i love donald o connor he was amazing i found extremely funny and enjoyable!!
its a really happy feel good movie with happy songs that you'll recognise and cant help but sing along to!!
Amazing movie, really has to watch Gene Kelly a truely talented man!!