• PG-13, 1 hr. 38 min.

Skateland Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

January 4, 2010
Cast: Ashley Greene, Shiloh Fernandez, Casey LaBow, James LeGros, Haley Ramm, Brett Cullen, Taylor Handley, A.J. Buckley, D.W. Moffett

Director: Anthony Burns

Summary: Director Anthony Burns and screenwriter brothers Heath and Brandon Freeman tell the story of 19-year-old Ritchie Wheeler (Shiloh Fernandez), who finds his life at a crossroads when the Texas roller rink where he works is forced to shut its doors. Set in the early 1980s, this is a coming-of-age tale in which the hapless but hopeful protagonist must contend with his parents' divorce, shifting friendships and making choices on the path to adulthood.

My Thoughts: "I actually really enjoyed this movie. It had the essence of one of my favorite films, 'Dazed and Confused'. I especially got that feeling from Taylor Handley who plays Kenny Crawford. He reminded me of a younger version of Matthew McConaughey. The southern drawl and all. I love the setting of the film. I am a big fan of the 80's and it's films. The movie has a great sound track to boot. The acting is also strong. The film really captures life in the 80's. In those year's the popular hangout was a skating rink. But the closing of it isn't really the main focus the summary leads you to believe it is. It mostly stands for an ending for a new beginning for the character Ritchie Wheeler. It's a great small independent film that in the end doesn't really exceed in delivering the depth it probably intended for. I could have also done with more character development. But as it is, I did enjoy it and would watch it again."
Cynthia S

October 29, 2011
They had me at "Electric Avenue" :).....Wonderful little movie set in an era that I loved. Fantastic ending, ta boot. Kudos!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

May 8, 2011
It was a time when life was easy...in a place they thought would never change.

Good Film. Not exactly what I expected but didn't fail for me. That was a nice era to live in, I love the music and how people used to have fun in there lives. Nice story about love, endings, tragedy, beginnings and everything in between.

An iconic tribute to a culture, place and state of mind that defined small town America in the early 80s. It is a universal moment in time, when everything you know to be true starts fading. The story is personal, yet familiar, set against a visually arresting landscape of music and vistas of Americana.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

August 30, 2011
There is nothing new in "Skateland"- both in the film and in the characters lives. What I liked most about this sweetly nostalgic film is that it meanders into territory (emotional or physical) that is determined solely by the characters. These are people dealing with ennui and disaffection and co-writer/director Anthony Burns organically incorporates this. Though this can be murder on the films structure, the emotional payoff in the conclusion seems worth it. The performances are a bit rocky because the films tone can be bipolar, which seems to throw the actors off. But Shiloh Fernandez and Ashley Greene form a chemistry that seems real and honest. Fernandez is interesting because he plays Ritchie like an honest, truthful young man. I liked seeing Ritchie actually striving for family connection; it's an interesting change for the presented themes. "Skateland" will certainly draw comparisons to "Dazed and Confused" and "Adventureland" (with a dash of "Somewhere" thrown in) but don't write it off completely because there are some really great individual parts to this film- they just unfortunately don't congeal like they should.

November 30, 2012
Skateland is an coming of age film that premiered in January 2010 at the Sundance Festival and made me fall asleep in front the film director (which for some reason insulted him). What surprised me though was the fact this film was released more than a year later and its a good thing the studio withheld it from the public because it's nothing worthwhile.

Skateland follows Ritchie Wheeler having fun, not caring about any huge dramatic issues, and must be force to choose between staying in a town where he has fun or go to collage with the girl he loves. The movie main issue is the terrible writing. All we see Ritchie Wheeler do is have fun and never takes anything seriously. Why should I care about our main character when he would rather go out partying in a club instead of comforting his father during his divorced. The movie is filled with characters that have no defining characteristics of any kind. The characters are written so poorly that when one of these characters we feel nothing for them nor do we believe the mourning from his friends. The film also feels the need to keep returning two characters that serve no propose for the film but to pad out the run time. Other characters lack screen-time to make any impact on the story or for the audience to care. What really hurts this movie is it title "Skateland" which is where our main character work. Skateland is not properly use for any symbolic propose and is just a tool to move the plot forward. The film also lacks any kind sentiment we have thinking about our youth or past. Particular anyone who grew up in the 80s will have some nostalgic memories when some classics 80s songs play, but that's about the only thing most of it viewer can enjoy. Not once will the audience think of any personal experience when viewing this. Skateland is a weak coming of age film that fails to give characters we can relate too and provides a dull journey not worth taking.

I did say earlier I fell asleep in front of it director when the film was shown at the Sundance Film Festival and he had a talk with me. He wanted me to specially tell him why I found his movie boring. Aside from the very poor writing, I told him his directing skills are off for a drama film. Firstly, he positioned the camera in the wrong place. We see a shot for long making the already dull movie boring to look at. Another problem was also he does not show his actors face in serious scenes. If the main character we're following is talking to his love interest about her death brother you better show the main character face to give us sense the brother death affected him. I also criticized his taste of music. I told him while the soundtrack is good, he plays it safe going for the obvious 80s classics tune. I kept going mentioning the editing. I told him it's not necessary for me to see two pointless character appear in the film if they have serve no propose. I would have kept going about he forgot to edit out the boom mic in several scenes and explained how he should make a death scene worth caring about, but the director left. Guess some director cannot handle constructive criticism towards their awful works. Though if there is one thing I did enjoy from the film, aside from the 80s classics music, was actress Haley Ramm. Her acting is average at best, but I there was something about her personality that made her very likable.

Skateland, just like the phrase "groovy", is better left in the past. Skateland is boring for anyone and a underwhelming coming of age picture.
Mark A

October 30, 2011
A great little film, starring a bunch of actors this viewer didn't recognize, set in a small East Texas town in the 80's. A young man with little ambition deals with several life traumas and is forced to decide what he really wants from life. The first two-thirds of the film drifts about rather aimlessly, but serves to set up the much more intense third act. A lot of tender moments, some interesting editing choices and a very natural sounding script, born out of some improvisation, combined to make this quite watchable. Of particular interest was Ashley Greene, as Michelle, the best friend's sister and gal pal to the main character, Ritchie (Shiloh Fernandez). A rather pleasant way to spend a little over an hour and a half.
Jason R

October 6, 2011
The film moves at an odd pace but the content more then makes up for any issues with the movies timing. Very emotional and John Hughes-like take on a group of friends who are facing some major life changes during a crazy Summer in 1980's Texas.
You'll either get the movie or you won't get the movie. But I will say that it captures the craziness and reality of what it is like for kids who are about to graduate High School or are unsure of the future, and in that aspect this movie is really good.
January 22, 2012
I liked the concept of this movie, but it was overall very boring and bland. It a few good moments.
HeroPK
December 21, 2011
The backdrop of Skateland might be its best atribute. Its a young adult story of a period in the transition into adulthood. Imagine "Dazed and Confused" bu turning the dial from comedy to a drama. Not the greatest movie but much better than the critics think.
iguana1bug
October 20, 2011
You can tell this story was written from a good place, but it would have been a GREAT movie if they had actually written a story around it instead of just basically a bunch of random events that leads to an ending.
September 27, 2011
great period piece in the same vein as "american grafitti" (the sixties), dazed and confused (the seventies), and s"singles" (the nineties) this one reps the eighties.
November 26, 2013
Couldn't watch more than the first 15 minutes.
September 18, 2013
It Really portrayed the 80s...Its a fun watch!
August 5, 2013
At times it seems like this movie wants to be "Dazed and Confused" but this movie doesn't hold a candle to that iconic masterpiece. I mean it's not nearly as fun...it's kind of dark and heavy at times....and it lacks a cast with even a fraction of the talent of the cast of "Dazed." Shiloh Fernandez looks like a young Joaquin Phoenix and sounds like a young Keanu Reeves, but that still doesn't make me care about this movie.
May 26, 2013
Everyone fails to see a point to this film. I say, the points staring right at you. The film shows a kid (Shiloh Fernandez) fresh out of high school. He's living the life he dreamed about all through his educational life. Only problem, is that he can't look past the fact that he has to grow up. Unfortunately for him, when an old friend returns home he finds out living the life of a washout isn't all its cracked up to be. Drastic changes happen to his life, that change his point of view.

This movie address a lot of issues still prominent in todays society. This movie is set in the reagan era, but has nothing to do with any type of politics. The movie addresses families falling apart, being young in a world where everything is changing, and people drifting out of the life you tried so hard to build. If you want a movie set in the 80s and gives you an emotional thrill ride. Sit back and grab some popcorn and pop in Skateland.

November 30, 2012

November 25, 2012
trying to be something its not.
November 19, 2012
Skateland lacks direction. Right from the get-go, there seemed no purpose to this film. Until Brent's death, it felt like watching a bunch of boring people go about their boring lives. Ashley Greene's character needed more bite to her - she needed to be far more interesting and even more driven to contrast to Ritchie's lack of. Their relationship as was wasn't believable or meaningful. There were some beautifully shot scenes, but that couldn't make up for the lack of story line and average script. Skateland is an average film with an above average soundtrack. Thank God for Brent's death and the aftermath (Is that a weird thing to say?) because without that, this film would be even more lost.
September 13, 2010
I love you Ashly Greene, but this movie is really BORING!!