SLC Punk Reviews

½ October 7, 2007
A furiously paced, unabashed, raw story of two best friends (Matthew Lillard, Michael Goorjian) who choose not to conform to the boring, conservative lifestyle that inhabits their hometown of Salt Lake City, instead opting for a life of punk-filled adventures and acts of violence against the system. DIrector/writer James Merendino's screenplay is loaded with vicious assaults against the norms of society, and he backs it up considerably well with "Fight Club"-esque cutaways full of such enthusiasm from his lead star. Lillard's energy and infectious spirit is completely believable and a breath of fresh air, as he fully takes this movie upon his shoulders and makes it his own, which is surprising when you consider how far he has flown under the radar ever since the release of this film. Although it has some occasional terrible acting (mostly from supporting characters) and it does not utilize its location as well as it could have, it still remains a minor-"Fight Club" entry that has some interesting ideas and some devilish humor thrown in for good measure that keeps it clicking effortlessly.
½ December 25, 2011
The film is an anthem to punks, to hipsters, to all young rebels, and ultimately concludes that it's not a lifestyle, but merely a nave phase. But does writer/director Merendino look to extol the demerits of youthful rebellion? Hardly. "SLC Punk!", more than anything, is a coming-of-age film, and Matthew Lillard's portrayal of his interesting character is quite good. For all the hype and emphasis the film puts on its conservative setting, Salt Lake City, though, there's virtually no local flair about the film. Oh well. It's not an easy film to put into words, but it sure is fun to watch.
October 5, 2010
Finally, a punk film that doesn't only just have the old sex & drugs representation, but a wide variety of what life can be like, depending on your crowd. As Stevo (Matthew Lillard), a hidden brain who has been accepted to Harvard law school, spends all his time forcing himself to stay out of school while he and his punk friends screw around with their town and it's people as his family and friends all have their own problems as time passes by. "SLC Punk" forcefully proves that punks are bad news, but I thoroughly appreciated the realism of their feelings behind the scenes as they direct their emotions towards the camera. I do think they could have added a bit more character development, but overall this movie is just a great time, that surprisingly pulled on my heart-strings. This film is great!
blkbomb
½ January 21, 2011
Heroin Bob: Well, it's a crazy fucked up world and we're all just floating along waiting for someone who can walk on water, man.

I've heard from true punks that this movie is just a stereotype and that it is offensive to real punks. Well, that may be the case, but I'm not a punk; so I don't really care. I like SLC Punk because of it's chaos loving characters, no matter how stereotypical they are. The movie isn't a masterpiece, but I believe it to be a really good movie, that is funny for the duration; that is until it drops an emotional bomb on us at the end.

The main character Steveo played by Matthew Lillard is a punk. A true punk, not some poser who says stuff like, "Anarchy in the U.K." He's a smart guy that thinks the only way to bring as much chaos as possible to the world, is by not using his education. His dad wants him to go to Harvard and become a lawyer like himself, but that's just not punk. Steveo's best friend, Heroin Bob, played by Michael A. Goorjian is a fellow anarchist. Contrary to what his name suggests, Bob doesn't do drugs. He's called Heroin Bob because of his fear of needles. Bob is the most complex character in the movie and probably my favorite. My second favorite character in the movie is Mike, played by Jason Segal, pre How I Met Your Mother. Segal is one of my favorite actors to watch. He's not the most talented, but he's funny and he never over acts like a lot of other comedic actors. Mike looks like a nerd, but he'll beat the shit out of anybody for any reason. Steveo says he's one of the most hardcore punks of the scene and it shows.The story really has no clear direction for nearly the entire movie. This makes sense because it is a movie about punks who really have no direction in life. So why would the story about them have a direction. The ending is ironic for both Steveo and Heroin Bob.

SLC Punk is a cool little movie about punks. Is it accurate? I don't know, you'll have to ask a true punk. Is it a good movie? In my eyes, yes, it's a great movie.
½ July 24, 2007
I'm sure it would've helped if I were a punk, a teenager, or some combination thereof. That said, it had to be pretty decent to garner 3½ stars from me.
cosmo313
½ October 2, 2008
This is a well-made look at the American punk culture of the 80's, and I really loved the documentary-style shooting and GoodFellas-esque narration. The music is classic, and the performances are amazing, especially Matthew Lillard's). The only real complaint (though it doesn't apply to me) is that this film is not for everyone, although it could be if approached with an open-mind.
April 19, 2007
Great look at punks in Salt Lake City in the 80's. Stand out performance by Matthew Lillard
August 2, 2007
A weird little movie with a great line. "I didn't sell out son... I bought in."
May 21, 2007
A grand movie I should call it and the ending was quite surprising but absolutely a perfect way to end it.
March 25, 2007
So after not being able to see the full thing, I was finally able to and was completely delighted by the entire movie. It not only gives one an inside look into the whole Punk Generation, but it also lends some perspective as to how one would view the entire topic.

Sometimes, even punks need to grow up.
Fantastic film, peppered with humour, sarcasm and wit.
October 25, 2006
Would've been better without Matthew Lillard.
½ May 20, 2006
You see, Matthew Lillard can't act! Punk has been dead for a very long time now and should stay there! This is just a movie based on idiots and fashion! Take that Travena!!!!
January 31, 2014
Great actors, amazing story with a golden message. we are all posers! haha. love it.
May 14, 2010
This movie had some entertaining parts, but I was pretty bored for the most part. It seemed a lot longer than it really was. Lillard was more annoying than usual, and it became a little irritating at times.
March 5, 2008
i like matthew lillard and wish i could see more from him in the future i stumbled upon this flick on i.f.c and thought it was pretty cool
iLeo
November 30, 2007
Hilarious film! Favorite scene: the coming of '666' as seen in the convenience store.
November 18, 2007
Pretty good movie... Fun... Definitely a coming of age story... has its moments and i actually like the ending... good stuff...
½ April 9, 2007
Beware the dangers of LSD. It's like cyanide for your brain. Maybe you won't listen to me, so instead look for Devon Sawa's character. Getting stuck in a rebellious phase (punk/thug/hoodrat/skid) is only temporary, unless you fuck up your future and remain at that low level forever.
April 5, 2007