Sleep, My Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleep, My Love Reviews

December 20, 2013
Although this Gaslight knockoff features a solid cast, the plot and direction (artistically sound, yet lacking storytelling fundamentals) leaves much to be desired. Ameche "tells" (per direction I'm sure) the first minute he is onscreen. Yech. But everyone does okay insofar as delivering-a-story-you-already-know-how-it-goes goes. The Chinese wedding sequence (featuring Asians laughing, kissing, and dancing - not sinister, not the racist Hollywood I grew up watching at all) really the only surprise in this "mystery".
½ September 26, 2012
This movie is a lot like films like Gaslight, which were better. There is a pretty good cast, and it starts out a pretty good mystery. Then it gets to be predictable, and it's not as good as it could be.
jjnxn
½ November 17, 2010
Early Sirk semi Gaslight remake has effective use of shadows and a good cast but tips it's hand far too early. In addition it has some seemingly interesting subsidiary characters, Rita Johnson is especially fun cast against type as a daffy chatterbox, that are trotted out just long enough to catch your attention and then they disappear. Unfortunate since the "mystery" is revealed so early and is obvious even before that the film could have used some extra attractions.
March 21, 2013
Well made wife-in-distress thriller, creatively directed by douglas sirk but feels like 'gaslight' but set in contemporary (well 1948 that is) times.
½ January 8, 2012
A great cast in a very good Noir thriller. While the story eventually escapes the bounds of credibility, it holds together much longer that it seems it should have - and even when it gets away, it's a quick sprint to the end so it doesn't diminish the movie much. For most of the movie it's great fun watching these characters plot and scheme and maneuver and manipulate and to watch Claudette Colbert come to pieces.
April 24, 2011
I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat watching this suspenseful thriller. I'm glad I discovered this classic noir film. One question though: What in the world did Don Ameche's character see in Hazel Brooks -- beautiful, but a real be-yotch!
December 13, 2014
when the prince dont wanna wake u up instead :D
April 19, 2014
A film worth adding to your collection.
December 20, 2013
December 14, 2013
recommended by sue2citysueful......
½ December 13, 2013
Douglas Sirk maintains a terrific suspenseful atmosphere throughout the entire film. The result is a riveting noir with a memorable screenplay and excellent performances from a great cast, most notably the very talented Claudette Colbert as Alison Courtland
March 21, 2013
½ September 26, 2012
January 30, 2012
Before his 50's Technicolor women's weepers, Douglas Sirk was a deft hand at norish melodrama, and here he has a good cast, with Claudette Colbert psychologically hypnotized by caddish husband Don Ameche to slowly driver her crazy. "Citizen Kane's" George Coulouris is especially effective as the meek co-conspirator to Ameche.
½ January 8, 2012
November 12, 2011
que tan distinto era todo 60 años atrás...
½ October 2, 2011
"Sleep My Love" is an entertaining thriller that was made over 60 years ago. It is well-acted by a strong cast. OK - there are some holes and some absurdities in the plot. And the story itself is not the most original - it resembles that of the stage play "Gaslight" (written by one of my favourite writers, Patrick Hamilton), which was filmed earlier with Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman in the leading roles. Claudette Colbert plays a wealthy New York woman whose husband, played by Don Ameche, is trying to drive her insane and to suicide so that he can get his hands on her money and, by doing so, appease his demanding girlfriend. Robert Cummings plays a friend of a family friend who becomes suspicious of what is going on and tries to get to the bottom of things. There are snatches of humour - in the form of the somewhat daft family friend, played by Rita Johnson. The film may be undemanding but it is also atmospheric and gripping. 7/10.
September 26, 2011
A remarkable film by a remarkable director. They certainly don't make them like this anymore!!
April 24, 2011
April 3, 2011
One of the biggest characteristics of film noir is the trademark black-and-white lighting which many have attributed to the German Expressionism influence that was caused by the influx of Jewish film makers who arrived in Hollywood after leaving a Hitler-run Germany. "Sleep, My Love" is a good example of this as director, Douglas Sirk, was one of most famous Jewish emigres. The lighting in this is so profound to watch that it almost becomes a character in the film itself, which is a tightly-wound, psychological crime drama. Overall, a fantastic part of the noir cannon and highly recommended for anyone interested in the old classics.