Sleep with Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleep with Me Reviews

February 26, 2009
Very entertaining, and quite funny, treatment of a not so funny situation. Joseph (Eric Stoltz), Frank (Craig Sheffer), and Sarah (Meg Tilly) are three friends whose relationship gets complicated when Joseph and Sarah marry and Frank confesses his love for Sarah. The main story is a tragedy of the first order. What makes it funny are all the side stories going on with the supporting cast. And a talented cast it is. Pain and confusion drive the main story, while confusion and deep philosophical conversations (not) drive the underplot. Poker games with the boys, various house parties, dating carousels, and couples who clearly like each other populate the background upon which these two friends seek to sort out their feelings and how the friendship is to survive with Sarah now as the thing that stands between them. Bittersweet romantic comedy. Of special note, June Lockhart (Timmy's mom on Lassie before she was Lost in Space, BTW) as the mother-in-law from the planet Tedium and Quentin Tarantino as Sid are brilliant. Parker Posey and Joey Lauren Adams do a hilarious turn as wanna be country singers that is not to ne missed.
August 29, 2011
Tarantino is the only reason to see this movie. It was all "middle" and no end.
iLeo
December 10, 2007
An absolute favorite!i
½ September 1, 2013
WHY is Tarantino at the party? Best part of the film, but has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Other than that, none of the characters are really anyone I'd wanna root for. A couple funny moments. I'm not high.
February 22, 2012
Not as steamy as the title would have you believe. Skip to the end to see Quentin Tarantino's cameo and his hilarious take on Top Gun.
July 19, 2007
quentin tarantino's "top gun" speech cameo at the end is the only great thing about this film. other than that, its nothing great of a film.
½ September 1, 2013
½ February 15, 2013
I completely agree with the critic who said this movie is worth it just for Tarantino's cameo.
November 11, 2012
This independent film has a very witty script. The story revolves around a love triangle. The cast is excellent and not only are the three lead performances great but there are numerous funny supporting performances.
½ August 30, 2012
Qentin Tarantino & Parker Posey were the only two bright spots of this movie.
August 20, 2012
Ignore the tomatometer which I think we can all safely says lies somewhat if you look at the list of most of the greatest films. For those who enjoy such slices of generation x nostalgia and the earliest films of Linklater involves clever scriptwriting, with a real biting sense of humour throughout even if the subject matter does become a little serious. Some have called it pretentious, but in all fairness I personally believe that it accurately captures the dynamic of young interaction and confusion amid the responsibility of love. While the final third is perhaps a little flailing, becoming more plot driven (as strange as that probably sounds) the moments of pure interactions make you yearn for a similar kind of dynamic to be existent in your life and really make the film something of a wonderful find. How this hasn't transcended into cult status I'll never know. Plus if in any doubt, the Tarantino cameo is worth an entire film of it's own.
P.s. I believe you shouldn't listen to the reviews made my actual critics on films like this, most are disliked for being too simplistic or not full of plot or spectacle and give it poor reviews because it isn't seen as the kind of bull which will win an Oscar. Most audience reviews give it a truly respectable score, and in such times probably give a much better viewpoint on the film. Probably have just wasted a lot of my time though, no one will read this.
February 22, 2012
½ October 19, 2011
Tarantino's speech on the homo-erotic subtext of Top Gun alone makes this viewing worthwhile. Apart from that it's a solid drama carried by strong performances from the actors.
August 29, 2011
Tarantino is the only reason to see this movie. It was all "middle" and no end.
½ November 27, 2010
Parker Posey's tits and Quentin Tarantino explaining Top Guns homosexual agenda make this a must see film even though it is not a very good film
November 20, 2010
½ November 24, 2010
July 2, 2010
A twisted tale of a lover's triangle that involves lust, lesbianism and bisexuality on one hand but turns into betrayal. The storyline is intriguing in terms of the drama but too many times during it's progression it becomes boring, confusing, lack luster. Honestly, the dialogue is uneventful due to the fact, that little or no emotion was evoked from the actors. Most dished out their lines in a monotonous tone. I did not enjoy this film, but I did like the control and dominance the character Silvie had over her lover's.