Smiley Face Reviews

paul o.
October 25, 2011
Its really funny until you realize that smoking pot can ruin your life in less than 24 hours. I liked it since it actually had a realistic view of what its like being smacked and how other people see you.

Dealer: "You're going to have to pay me"
Anna Faris: Oh my GOD! Are you going to kill me?!
Dealer: "No Im a pot dealer, Ill probably take your couch or something"

December 16, 2010
Fuck. Just get high and watch Smiley Face and appreciate its complete loopiness and the incredible perceptiveness with which it depicts stoned behavior. The only times it falters is when it breaks the illusion with something vaguely out of place (Anna Faris's meat factory diatribe), but chances are if you're watching the movie correctly you'll probably laugh anyway. Not for everyone, obviously, but sure to please its intended audience.
½ November 16, 2010
This movie follows the adventures of a girl who had about 8 too many pot cupcakes. Her logic is shot. I thought it was really funny, but frustrating. Burn outs stress me out. But after watching this movie I can see what prop 19 didn't pass, everyone got too high and forgot to vote.
December 8, 2009
Drugs are bad. probably.
½ July 3, 2009
Cast: Anna Faris, John Krasinski, Jane Lynch, Danny Trejo, John Cho, Adam Brody, Danny Masterson, Michael Hitchcock, Natashia Williams, Rick Hoffman, David Goldman, Jayma Mays, Marion Ross

Director: Gregg Araki

Summary: Talk about living the high life: Hilarity ensues as a young actress named Jane (Anna Faris) attempts to get around town after accidentally consuming a batch of marijuana-laced treats belonging to her wacko roommate. Stoned out of her mind, she must pay her gas bill, accompany a chum to the dentist and make it to an audition before the day is done.

My Thoughts: "Wow.. What a stinker. Being that high is totally believable cause I've seen it (for those of you who say it's not realistic). The thing about stoner flicks is you automatically think or believe they will be funny. I'm not saying there wasn't a few funny moments, but that's all there were was, moments. Not good enough for me. Anna Faris is a funny girl, she's proved that in roles like the "Scary Movie" films, and my favorite, "Hot Chick". But this just seemed over the top with over acting in her part. I couldn't wait for it to end."
½ May 4, 2008
Incredibly moronic film about a a girl who is a waste of space doing stupid things. Worthless.
½ December 13, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of stoner comedies, but my devotion to Anna Faris led me to give Smiley Face a shot. After seeing her as an incredibly sexy bunny in The House Bunny, it was quite an adjustment to see her playing the role of a normal, everyday person. Well, a normal, everyday person with a HUGE pot habit.

Her character, Jane, stumbles from one paranoid freak-out to another as she tries to accomplish several goals in one day. Many of the resulting situations are sorta funny, and she sees some pretty pretty paranoid hallucinations as well. If you're a fan of stoner comedies or of Anna Faris, try out Smiley Face. Just don't expect more than a laugh or two.
½ March 27, 2010
Much like Half Baked, Smiley Face essentially provides nothing interesting into its plot besides pot. I think it's completely ridiculous that a movie will go to such lengths to appeal to an audience. It doesn't even try to bring something new to the table or spark any insight into drug use, it basically just keeps hammering in that you are a loser if you smoke and you'll just forget everything. I just can't support a movie or even be amused by something so wrong.
½ June 12, 2009
Quite why Gregg Araki would follow his career high of Mysterious Skin with this, is anyones guess. Perhaps after child abuse to need to tackle the lightest subject available. So here we have a stoner comedy which is just a girl being stoned and doing stuff. Much of it seems far too over-the-top and it aims it's sights pretty low. It was quite refreshing to see a drugs film that wasn't incredibly depressing, but if this is the outcome, I'd say keep it miserable.
May 31, 2009
Happened to catch this one on cable, and couldn't help but watch. The story is quite inane, but it's supposed to be. Anna Faris stars as a pothead actress/slacker with "the munchies" which begins her series of misadventures while attempting to get things on her "to do" list accomplished.
A film worth seeing if you like Anna Faris, and just want to watch something that isn't in the least bit heavy. This film delivers some good, cheap laughs that you know you're in for from the onset.
½ March 19, 2009
Smiley Face was pure shit as far as entertainment goes, but if some right-wing evangelical religious sect secretly commissioned Gregg Araki to make an anti-pot movie then well done. Well done indeed because this movie made me never want to even look at a bong again. Anna Faris, who's normally hysterical was equally boring and annoying here while most of the secondary characters seemed more fun. Araki did some interesting things but when the soundtrack is easily the best thing about the movie you're in trouble. And so is the movie.
½ September 16, 2008
Stoner movies are supposed to be funny. Smiley Face is far from it. But with the stoner film genre exploding its expected to get some crap movies out of it. This is one of them.
August 6, 2008
What? This movie was insane.
½ April 23, 2008
Definitely a funny movie and within a category of stoner films that actually tries to be realistic in the depiction of marijuana use, so I really like it. That said, the main actress is touch and go with her performance; sometimes she nails the "stoned out of her mind girl" and other times she is just repeating the same tactics used earlier, making her performance seem very flat and unrealistic at points. Having been around hundreds of "too stoned" people, I have to say that she needed to either do a bit more research or simply act better (pepper her performance with some variance).
Once again, I try to only review funny movies, and this is a very funny movie, for stoners at least.
I'm glad stoner movies are moving into this direction of more realistic portrayals of marijuana use. The camera techniques implemented here surpass the efforts of even classics like the Cheech and Chong series, and certainly beats the crap out of comedy missteps like Half Baked or How High.
So if you like those two aforementioned crapfests, you may not like this superior stoner wit.
½ January 1, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Smiley Face" starts at Point Z where Jane(Anna Faris), an unemployed actress, is stoned out of her gourd on a ferris wheel dreaming of orange juice and Cheetos while having an imaginary conversation with Roscoe Lee Browne.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]At Point A, she is already stoned at 9:16 am, with an audition in two hours, an electric bill that needs to be paid...oh hey, look at those cupcakes her psychotic-looking roommate, Steve(Danny Masterson), made for his science fiction fan group! But they are actually pot cupcakes and that only makes a bad situation worse. Plus, now she has to get to Venice by 3:00 pm to pay her drug dealer, Steve(Adam Brody), or he is going to do something drastic like take her furniture in payment...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Directed by Gregg Araki, "Smiley Face" is a cautionary tale about graduating college with an economics degree.(No, that didn't sound right.) It is an unhinged and funny stoner comedy, but nothing deeper than that. Well, I could bring up that it did remind me a little of "Under the Volcano" but that sounds utterly any case, I'm sure Jane could put it much better than I could.(You know, for somebody with the energy level and brain activity of an elderly snail, she does get around a lot for one day.)[/font]
½ November 9, 2007
I seriously can't believe this is actually a movie. I've got a huge headache thanks to this crap. Anna Faris, this is your worst movie yet.
½ March 29, 2010
Was not a fan. Have to be stoned to watch and still that might be a stretch. That's too bad because I like Anna Faris.
½ June 4, 2007
Pretty as hell and paranoid as fuck, Faris owns slight stoner comedy.
April 18, 2011
Compared to the films I have seen her in lately Anna Faris is hilarious! But the movie is just all over the place and gets kinda boring near the end.
½ June 17, 2009
A stoner comedy by the director of Mysterious Skin starring Anna Faris. Is that enough to creep you out?

Well, I'll be damned. It turns out this experiment is worthy of all the talent behind it. Either way... non-smokers better steer past, because this delirious, almost surreal romp through California might very well just be a treat to those who do know what it feels like to have to deal with a hundred things at once while you're stoned out of your mind. Things get predictably very, very messy, and the narrative sometimes feels too fabricated, but the woozy visuals and dreamlike soundtrack coat with impeccable flair what might just have been another stoner comedy with just one chick in the lead.

That, and the bizarre recurring topic of socialism played almost subliminally up until it the film's climax... that would already be enough to make it a decent effort in its genre. But like almost all the projects Anna Faris is affiliated with, Smiley Face hugely benefits from the pitch-perfect performance the actress delivers. I'm happy to report that she knocks it out of the park again here, offering strange, hilarious and oh-so-true variations on an altered state like no other lead in a stoner film I've seen before. Her third-act monologue(s), backed by a saucy script gimmick, is as funny as anything I've seen on film in a whole year. Add to that plenty of other comic talents like Jane Lynch, Danny Masterson and John Krasinski offering equally memorable appearances... and you just know you've got the stuff of a cult classic in your hands.

Consequently, this pairing of a shockingly sensitive and surely impressionistic director with a brilliant funnywoman is largely able to overcome the screenplay's facilities. If all weed comedies were made with this much heart and polished with so many neat post-prod tricks, perhaps what they call 'pothead cinema' wouldn't have such a bad rep.