Soar Into the Sun Reviews

skactopus
½ June 13, 2013
Dong-won Kim's R2B: Return to Base goes for the top gun.For a 110 minutes of screen time, the excitement is lacking. The story is predictable and a number of the characters are underdeveloped. There are moments when the film is seemingly trying to be funny, but it never reaches the pinnacle of laughter.The jet and action sequences are passable. Once the end credits finish rolling, there isn't much to remember about any of it. There is also a heavy reliance on CG, which is decent enough. Still, all the military hardware is the highlight of the film.Rain does have his moments, although not award winning. Shin Se-kyung has a pretty face, but delivers a performance more geared toward a drama. The rest of the cast do what they can with the characters they are given.R2B: Return to Base has its share of pros and cons. At the end of the day, it is a watchable film out of Korea.
July 11, 2015
Not so bad as I expected: South Korean movie about pilots, with heavy inspiration from Top Gun. Actings are ok, sometimes inclined to a funny side, plot a little simple, but the aerial action scenes are nice. 6,0 / 10,0
July 25, 2014
Honestly, I have been waiting for a movie like this for a longgggggggg time.
I have to admit that the CGi in this movie is surprisingly good. All the chasing and dogfight made me felt like i'm in the Ace Combat, but the drawback is the storyline and dialogues. they're quite soft for a situation like this. Lastly, they should put more afford on "Reality" like since when Strike Eagle was that good in a dogfight? and how the heck they could manage to wiped out North Korean base with two fighter?
½ September 17, 2013
It's South Korean Top Gun. All the good flying movie tropes are observed. It delivers what it's selling.
½ November 13, 2012
75% satisfied. #Rottentomatoes
½ January 16, 2013
You can skip half a movie straight away. It's boring, jokes not funny (first half suppose to be a comedy I think) and acting is bad (overacting is a problem of Korean Cinema). Second half skipping from comedy to action and here we got what we came for. Second half is not bad at all.P.S. I just found out, that they made this movie for only $1,000,000!!! Jeez... I didn't expected so, I thought they spent like 10x. Seriously, well done guys
March 18, 2013
Predictable, cliche, cheesy, and despite all that, still quite enjoyable as a mainstream, sometimes music-video-like, action flick sprinkled with the usual Korean melodrama. Michael Bay would have approved at the showcase of South Korean air force and military effectiveness. I am very sure it will serve as an effective military recruitment campaign.
½ February 17, 2013
Top Gun.....Korean style
½ February 9, 2013
Despite its formulaic script, Soar into the sun has some great moments. It's nice to have some story to a movie instead of just mindless action scenes with planes.
½ January 19, 2013
Even with the evil North coup' attacking SK, the South Korean's still find a way to make the Americans the bad guys as well lol. Otherwise, the dog fights are exciting. Down on the ground the story kind of drags on but it's tolerable.
December 30, 2012
This is amazing .... I call it TOP GUN 2. Must watch movie.
September 12, 2012
Definitely a great movie, especially for a Korean movie. And Rain is both a good actor and action star! Must Watch...
September 7, 2012
R2B operation is lack with too much cliche moment and unnessary romantics mood
½ August 31, 2012
Best unofficial Ace Combat game adaptation I have ever seen. Impressive air sequences, fun humor and enough human drama to make this a compelling blockbuster.