96% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Solar Strike (Solar Attack) Reviews

June 3, 2010
Obviously cheesy. I have to give it credit for having one of the goofiest and so unrealistic "save the day" solutions though.
November 22, 2009
A silly, kind of fun Sci-Fi made for TV flick about the sun setting ablaze to the Earth's atmosphere. The acting from star Mark Dacascos is good, for that cheesey B-movie acting, but the lead female is more unbelivable as a scientist then Jessica Alba is. The effects were decent and it was fun.
December 9, 2013
No movie about natural disasters that stars Mark Decascos can become a masterpiece.
SantaFeJack
March 27, 2013
The only actress less believable as a scientist was Denise Richards in a James Bond flick.
February 4, 2011
Not simply just a story about a team of hardluck scientists trying to avert global extinction, there is some great character acting and plenty of spectacular special effects.
Ann L.
February 9, 2010
SOLAR ATTACK

Fun. O.K. special effects, simulations, and visuals. Story is set at some unspecified future time but seemingly not too far hence from the present day. Interesting scenario, but this science fiction tale is not exactly based on good science-which may or may not be important for some viewers-i.e. if in fact atmospheric levels of methane and other inflammable chemicals were anywhere near those portrayed, then a mere flash of lightning, let alone a catastrophic solar CME, would be enough to ignite the air and set off a similar cascading effect. Otherwise, I liked it. This is about two ex-spouses and two rival world powers who are forced to put aside their personal and political difficulties with each another to save life on Earth from certain global extinction. Has its intense moments. Good casting and decent performances.
Richard R.
October 31, 2008
If I could have given this methane-smelling, rotten tomato a lower rating, I would have.

I rented the DVD in the hopes that this disaster movie would blame the sun, rather than you and I.

As it turned out, this piece of trash -- a poor production in every way -- was a polemic for global warming. It's fundamental premise was the hilarious assumption that the current concentration of methane gas in the atmosphere could at any moment catch fire (thanks, Mr. Sun) and burn up all the oxygen in a few minutes.

In the REAL world, methane gas has plateaued in the atmospheric concentrations. Much of the methane present is from non-manmade sources.

But most important, methane constitutes only 1.7 parts per MILLION particles in the atmosphere. You couldn't get that tiny amount of gas to ignite with a blowtorch.

This movie has two redeeming features:
1. It's only 90 minutes long -- and far shorter if you fast forward most if it, as I did.
2. It went straight to DVD. God forbid anyone would have paid good money to watch this pathetic production in a movie theatre.

For me, it was a freebie at Blockbuster (I use their mail rental service -- which is a better deal than Netflix), so I took grim satisfaction in knowing that the financiers of this bombastic piece of propaganda received almost nothing for my mildly negative review.
jazza923
May 11, 2008
Hokey but entertaining in a tacky sort of way. The plot is of course ridiculous, the acting is not great. The special effects though were particularly disappointing. Mindless fluff.