—— The Identical Sep 05

Some Like It Hot Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

October 15, 2013
This raucous comedic farce from Billy Wilder is often considered to be one of the best and funniest comedies ever made...and you know what? The reputation isn't wrong.

Joe and Jerry are two Chicago jazz musicians who, after witnessing a gangland murder, are forced to go on the run. Obtaining some costumes, they board a train for Florida with an all girl jazz band as its newest and more homely members "Josephine" and 'Daphne".

Besides the obvious problems with having to keep up their ruse in general, things really get complicated (and hilarious) when Josephine falls for fellow band member Sugar Kane, and an aging playboy falls for Daphne. Also, the mob happens to find their way to Florida as well...

Everyone talks about how funny this film is, and yeah, I expected to laugh, but I also figured this film would be kinda overrated as well. Much to my surprise and delight, this film had me in stitches through almost all of the runtime, and I didn't think it was overrated at all. This really is a sharp, witty, and breezy comedy masterpiece. It set the standard for all future cross dressing related comedies, and has yet to be topped.

Tony Curtis is great as Joe/Josephine and Jack Lemmon is tremendously awesome as Jerry/Daphne. George Raft is fun as the mob boss who wants them dead, and Marilyn Monroe is a delightful knockout as Sugar Kane. As the man who falls for Daphne, Joe E. Brown is an absolute scream.

The film does go for some obvious targets with some of the jokes, but they are deftly handled, and feel quite relevant and fresh. Yeah, there is the obvious need for suspension of disbelief, but that only adds to the fun.

With a strong start that just keeps building and building, this truly is one of the all-time greats that you really must see if you haven't already done so.
Alice S

June 10, 2008
Love Marilyn Monroe - the sexy, the innocent, the Silver Screen star, the controversial pop icon. Her performances of "Runnin' Wild," "I Wanna Be Loved By You," and "I'm Through With Love" are cheeky, seductive, and wistful, respectively. She overacts badly a bit during the yacht seduction sequence, and the gangster chase drags (heh) on a bit only to end with a much too easy resolution, but still, they just don't make 'em like this anymore.
Carlos M

November 19, 2012
If this is the funniest film ever made I really cannot say, but it is certainly a hilarious and extremely delightful comedy. The flawless script is filled with priceless lines and witty dialogue, with the three main actors absolutely fantastic in their roles.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
One of the great classics of comedy film with huge impact on many decades of films and funny shows. The story of the two musicians dressing up as girls to escape from the mob is well known, but it's a film you can rewatch many times and still enjoy for its jokes and a cast that obviously had fun (or hid the rumored troubles on set really well). Monroe never did much for me but to see Curtis and Lemmon argue and backstab each other is a pleasure to behold. Billy Wilder's flawless directing perfects the all around enjoyable and unforgettable ride.
garyX
garyX

February 26, 2007
A pair of musicians witness a mob execution and so go into hiding disguised as women in an all girl band in Florida. Billy Wilder made his name making a variety of black hearted satires, but here we find him at his least cynical. It's one of those types of film they just don't make any more as the brilliant double act of womanising cad Curtis and sidekick Lemmon see how the other half live. Their bickering and banter obviously owes a lot to Hope and Crosby and the gender swap is done with real subtlety and sophistication making for a host of hilarious one-liners that come so thick and fast it's easy to miss some of them first time around. Marilyn Monroe was never more appealingly vulnerable, Lemmon shows his mastery of comic timing and Curtis spends much of the film doing a hilarious Cary Grant impersonation as he learns to be a better man without the usual Hollywood schamltz and manipulation. The blend of slapstick and witty dialogue is judged to perfection making Some Like It Hot one of those rare timeless classics that all film fans should see.
Daniel P

June 3, 2007
As engrossing as provocative as Billy Wilder gets, and a film that features outstanding acting by Tony Curtis - who effectively plays three characters - and Jack Lemmon, who completely loses himself in the role of Daphne. Even Marilyn Monroe looks like she had talent in this one - it's that good. Spellbinding, edgy film making that's funny, and sexy, and intriguing all in one, which is no easy task. Every time I watch a Wilder movie, I'm more sure. Best. Director. Ever.
Raymond W

October 8, 2011
A genius comedy that features a great script, and brilliant acting by Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, Some Like It Hot will have you boiling over with laughter.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 17, 2011
Some Like It Hot is the greatest comedy ever made. It was genius, no cheap laugh, no bad story, and best of all the actors were fantastic. This is a all time classic, this movie should be watched by everyone, and loved by everyone.
Fernando Rafael Q

May 27, 2007
Some Like it Hot is just... fun. An incredibly enjoyable, sexy, funny film. The cinematography, especially in the opening scenes is eye-popping. The cast is impressive, with a genius performance by Jack Lemmon.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 21, 2007
Classic 1920s comedy. Brilliant movie about two men who witness a crime and go on the run by joining an all girl band. Excellent cast.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
One of the greatest comedies of our time, the cast is phenomenal! Monroe, sultry as a purring cat, and the teaming of Lemmon and Curtis riles the senses. Even today inspiration from this groundbreaking comedy seeps into the mainstream almost every day. The rest cannot compete though. Some Like it Hot cannot be duplicated in the least,
AJ V

September 5, 2010
You can't talk about fifties films without mentioning this movie, it's a classic now. This movie is hilarious and has a great cast. I highly recommend this movie.
Saskia D

October 6, 2010
Josephine and Daphne annoyed the crap out of me, not my cup of tea.
I wish Monroe wouldn't play such a twat. Name me one movie where she's not playing one..
Conner R

July 26, 2010
It's not as good as people make it out to be, it's better. Not only is this a great comedy without cheap laughs, it's also a beautiful love story and commentary on pre-depression society. Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis don't play over the top and hammy crossdressers, they're pretty contained and believable for the most part. What I also like is that this is in no way an anti-gay movie of any kind, if anything it promotes unconditional love. There's little touches that also make this so memorable and fun, including Tony Curtis' over the top Cary Grant impression and Jack Lemmon's crazy facial expressions (along with him getting too into character). Marilyn Monroe also puts in an adorable performance like she always did (regardless of how Billy Wilder felt). This is a movie that never loses its touch and never fails to impress. It's a classic in the truest sense.
Alexis N

July 6, 2010
.this is by far and away my most favorite movie. the humor in it is still relevant today.. probably because it was ahead of its time back then. i promise it's funny!
Cindy I

June 10, 2007
Probably the dirtiest movie to come out of 1950's Hollywood, and possibly the funniest. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon play a couple of musicians who dress as women and join an all-girl band to hide from gangsters on their tail. Jack Lemmon is a scream, and the last line of the film is a classic.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

November 29, 2007
"some like it hot" is no doubt a foundamental classic. letting alone the incredible marilyn monroe, naughty tony curtis and talented jack lemmon, of course genius billy wilder, the gender issue is truly the most interesting part of the movie. it features the most positive cinematic comment on homosexuality: NO BODY IS PERFECT.(the last line of the movie)

two men are forced to transvestitism by circumstance: one struggles to keep his manhood by his romantic conquest of THE BOMBSHELL; the other gradually gets assimilated into the gender he pretends to be. judith butler brings out the idea of gender performativity: you become what you perform to be, and genders are construed by performances, not your innate nature, for example, in sabrina, humprey bogart pretends he loves audrey hepburn in the beginning to keep her from ruing his million-dollar deal by mixing up with his brother, but gradually bogart becomes what he pretends be: the man in love with audrey.

the interpretation of curtis' character could be suppressed lesbianism: he cannot openly pursue marilyn monroe as a man (his own gender), he's trapped by the gender of "josephine," he has to hide and sneak and cheat for the object of his or "her" desire like some closet lesbian. lemmon has to continue telling himself he's a girl during the primary stage of his impersonation as a woman. lemmon does react like a man when the ravishing marilyn monroe crawls over his side (she thinks he's "daphne"), he gets so titilated that he cannot breathe well (so he has a positive straight side, or why so cuckoo over monroe)...later when curtis compels him to accept the pursuit of an elder millionaire, he becomes genuinely involved and swooned by the millionaire, dreaming how nice it is to marry him...and by disgusing as a millionaire, curtis also becomes honorable and committed as a digified millionaire is by giving away "daphne's" diamond bracelet to marilyn monroe.

billy wilder is playing you a big joke: you're what you perform to be and everyone could just go GAY all of a sudden, so what, NO BODY'S PERFECT.