Some Voices

Best in Show: Daniel Craig
One for the future: Daniel Craig
Stand-out scene: Lighters
Brainer or no-brainer: Brainer
Stands up to one viewing or repeated?: Repeated
DVD commentary any good?: n/a

TV
A compelling kitchen sink (or rather cafe sink) drama from 2000, this features early roles from the new Bond Daniel Craig and rising star David Morrissey. In a most un-Bond-like role Craig is Ray, recently released from a mental institution. Ray hears voices when he comes off his meds (hence the title) and he initially takes refuge at his brother Pete's tower block home. Pete (Morrissey) is the owner and chef at a greasy spoon (imaginatively monikered Pete's) and through the course of the story we learn that he inherited the business from his father, whose fondness for 'the sauce' ran the business into the ground. Under Pete's management the place is a going concern and Ray's feelings of inadequacy leave him uncomfortable in its surroundings. In a chance encounter on the street as she's chucking out her ex, Ray meets Laura (Kelly MacDonald, now ten years into her flourishing career after her big screen debut in Trainspotting) and the two become an item. When Ray stops taking his tablets, however, he slips into a depression which triggers some bizarre behaviour involving a 'crop circle' of bin bags (arranges while he's stark naked, of course). Daniel Craig flexes his acting muscles impressively here, as does David Morrissey, the director of Craig's breakthrough role in TVs Our Friends in the North, Simon Cellan Jones also helming here. Schizophrenia in all its forms are on display and you never doubt for one moment that Ray is afflicted by the disease. The scene that forms the climax of the movie will have you on tenterhooks for a good few minutes, the power of Craig's performance carrying the scene. I have high hopes for him in the role of Bond and am looking forward to the promised new approach in Casino Royale after the dire Die Another Day. A fine British flick.