Movies Like Something New

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Something New Reviews

Rachel F

June 25, 2007
I was pleasantly surprised at how good this movie actually was. I love Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker is a really great looking new-comer.
Lanning :

June 15, 2007
I ran across this the other night. When I realized Sanaa Lathan was in it, I stopped right there. Three comments: 1.Believe it or not, that scar the Predator gave her is gone. Plastic surgery perhaps? Kind of disappointing. I loved that scar. At any rate, these days she's given up her space career for the law. Boo, Sanaa, I would never give up being an astronaut for anything, and especially not for a career in law. 2. I am now 100% sure that I'm 100% in love with Sanaa Lathan (technically 25% given that I have to split my love percentage equally among her, Janeane Garofalo, Kate Winslet, and Jessica Alba ). Hey. Wait a second. This is my fairytale, so I say there can be 400% of something. I'm definitely 100% in love with each of the four. Simon Sucking Baker, you are the man! You are one lucky lucky guy, my friend. First she's your blind date -- sorry that didn't go too well -- and then she needs a landscape architect, and you're a landscape architect! What are the chances, dude? Sanaa, if you read this and are interested, please drop me a line on my talk board. I know it says "Make a comment about," but what they really mean is "Make a comment to (and leave your cell number)." 3. This is almost -- almost -- a wee bit too much of a fairytale for me. I don't think I've seen this many rich people together in one place since Titanic -- which was quite a fairytale in and of itself. Still, the love angle is very sweet, and hopefully it will lead to my marrying Ms. Lathan in the very near future. Although I'd rather be married to an astronaut than a lawyer. To make my fairytale come true, I know if Sanaa Lathan really loved me, she'd go back to being an astronaut and make a sequel to AVP: Alien vs. Predator : )
James A

March 5, 2006
Bad storrytelling and the main guy is from Land of the Dead, need I say more.
neumdaddy
neumdaddy

June 10, 2006
Thought you should know. Was a 2-days-ago development, and I was going to leave tonight. Thanks, corporate languor!
(airplane movies to and from Chicago)
Dannielle A

March 5, 2012
Super sweet romantic and funny I laughed a lot and got teary eyed and even cried.
William G

November 14, 2006
Generic all-around, but good luck finding more natural chemistry elsewhere.
Sunil J

October 14, 2007
I really liked this movie a lot. It was a nice mix of romantic and a little drama. Great chemistry.
iLeo
iLeo

August 2, 2006
A cute, funny & beautiful movie. Loved it.
February 1, 2012
My girlfriend popped this in last night and I kinda got stuck watching it, but it was a good romantic comedy. Laugh all you want I enjoy all movies and this is a movie.
moviegirl50
March 19, 2007
GREAT story about an interracial relationship...quite the romance, sparks were a flyin'......and the acting was great too!! My kind of Flick! And Simon Baker is definitely a treat.... woowee!! DVD.
February 24, 2007
"At the end of the day it's not about skin color or race. It's about the love connection: the vibe between a man and a woman."
December 11, 2007
I love how race is still a big issue in the world today. I mean, damn let me date who I want to date and you mind yo bidness!
rhondahumphrey
June 29, 2009
An awesome movie...with a great ending! The moving did not leave me hanging wanting more...A must see!!!
June 13, 2009
This was different...Kinda' cute in a way, but definitely a chick flick. Guys go there only if you're bored and can't find anything else to watch...
December 14, 2008
Okay, so the story and dialog were all pretty cheesy, but Simon Baker is so damn sexy and hot in this movie, I had to give it another star, because it kept my interest despite. I know, shallow reasons, but hey....the man be fly!
October 12, 2007
don't knock it until u tried it......very good movie........alot of jungle fever......alot of laughs 2....
September 27, 2008
Sanaa Lathan plays Kenya, who is an overachieving attorney being considered for the partnership. She meets a handsome landscaper played by Simon Baker. Bryan's carefree nature is completely opposite to Kenya's predictable nature and he's *white*.
Kenya pushes Bryan away, but he's fairly patient with her, to a point.
Will Kenya stop being a pain in the butt and embrace that Bryan is her perfect match?!
graemii
January 8, 2007
I liked these two together as a couple. Great chemistry. I really liked Simon Baker in this even though I didn't like him in The Devil Wears Prada. So glad they got together in the end which of course fulfills my need to watch a lovely romance.
imkukie1
April 6, 2008
The story was a decent one. Not very strongly written but average. Its about a professional business woman who is up for partner within her company. She is set up on a blind date with a guy who is outside her race. The concept is not something she is open to. She quickly exits the scene but ends up meeting him again at a friends party. He is a Landscape Architect. She admires his work and is in desperate need to fix up the back yard of her new home so she reluctantly hires him. This opens the opportunity for them to interact and for her to let her guard down and go with the flow. She begins a romance with him and discovers her own prejudices and the opposition of some of her friends and family is more than she can handle. In steps Blair Underwood. He fits her description of her IBM (Ideal Black Man) but is he really? This film could have hit 3 and 1/2 stars if it had not been for the less than professional filming and editing. There are several scenes where the color/contrast is way off. I question if the editing style in some scenes was intentional for an artistic look that they completely didn't grasp the concept of how to pull it off. Then again, maybe it was just lazy editing. Some of the framing of the scenes actually took away from the emotion they were trying to create. If this was an early attempt by a new filmmaker learning the ropes, then I'd give it more slack and say that it is pretty decent. As a seasoned filmmaker - its a bust.
February 16, 2008
This one took me by surprise... thank goodness for an intelligent script that looks at black-white dating in a straight forward but compassionate way.