70% The Equalizer Sep 26

Sometimes a Great Notion (Never Give an Inch) Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

February 24, 2011
Okay but overlong logging drama would have benefitted by being a half hour shorter. Has a fine cast, with Lee Remick giving the best performance even though her screen time is limited, but they don't have enough to work with. It just should have been more involving.
June 10, 2013
It was a pretty decent film. Not a whole lot of action, but director Newman paced the movie quite nicely nonetheless and when that pacing does reach a climax, you'll find yourself on the edge of your seat. Also, the photography of the logging scenes are visually stunning.
hairhofla
June 17, 2009
Paul newman Starring With And Directig Henry Fonda And Lee Remeck In A Story Written By Ken (One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest) Keysey? That Alone Sas it All
July 22, 2014
The book this is based on is my all time favorite book. I saw this film in '72, and then got the book. There are so many layers and perspectives in the book they never could have been covered entirely in the film, but kudos to all because they did a fine job of translating Kesey's imagery.
I grew up in Oregon logging country. and the people who do this work. Book and film captured a way of life that doesn't exist exactly the same way any more.
I love this film. It's an old friend. And I own the VHS copy and am on 5th copy of the book.
I keep hoping the HBO or STARZ will make this into a mini series.
November 28, 2013
While nothing could ever do justice to the book, the acting and cinematography are excellent, and it captures the complicated character studies of the book to the extent possible.
Nukleopatra
September 11, 2013
It's about 20 minutes too long, but with a cast as strong as this - you don't really mind. Richard Jaeckel, whose picture isn't shown on the cover, ends up being a nice surprise.
August 19, 2013
WOW an epic tragedy with true flawed but heroic characters. A great view.
May 8, 2013
Sometimes a great notion is Paul Newman's sophomore directing effort. This film occasionaly wanders from the novel from time to time. Newman takes full advantage of the beautifull Oregon locations and it really shows in the final product of the Shout! blu-ray edition. The scene near end with Newman and his brother Richard Jaekel is unforgettable. Henry Fonda is also fun to watch as the hard headed Patriarch.
May 25, 2012
There wasn't even a 40-year anniversary special edition DVD. Or any DVD. What happened?
July 26, 2010
The result is surprisingly effective -- a sort of contemporary 'western' in the timber territory. Newman's handling of the outdoor scenes, especially those involving work, is -- like his own acting -- restrained but powerfully evocative.
Mike A.
November 19, 2011
Excellent drama about logging unions versus a family business in Oregon. The issues portrayed in this movie are still hot topics to this day. Tremendous cast led by Paul Newman and Henry Fonda make this movie appealing.
postglock
September 20, 2011
A very curious film. The characters and themes are much more complicated and morally grey than Ken Kesey's most-famous film, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Conversely, or perhaps as a consequence, it seems like the movie deals with slightly less important issues. I left the film quite confused about how I was meant to feel, although perhaps this was a positive thing. Who were the "good guys"? Did they "win" or "lose"? Even if they had completely "won", would it still have been a empty victory?
The direction is excellent, and I found the lumber scenes to be one of the most tense I've seen!
July 24, 2011
great movie if you can't stand socialists like i do!
April 8, 2011
My all time favorite book and one of my all time favorite actors(Paul Newman. This movie dosen't do either justice.
November 16, 2010
WHY isn't this movie available on a Region 1 DVD -- even Blu-ray?! It's absurd that we can't have this -- a fine adaptation of Ken Kesey's second (and IMHO, best) novel.
bobolinq
July 30, 2009
genuine and earthy; jaekel especially did an exceptional job. both newman and fonda, while their presence was felt, did not distract from the story. lee remick was, well, lee remick.
WiseKwai
January 30, 2004
Based on a book by Ken Kesey, about an Oregon logging family, this Paul Newman-directed drama really snuck up on me. Henry Fonda, Paul Newman and Richard Jaeckal are part of the Stamper family logging firm, who's motto is "Never Give An Inch". They are in a fight with the union, as they are the only loggers working while the union timber firms are on strike. It's breaking the town. Then the elder Stamper's youngest son returns to the fold, causing even more drama, especially as the younger handsome son of a gun hits on Newman's character's wife (Lee Remick). This is all pretty good and engaging. Then some real major shit happens all at once. Then there's a lull period while Paul Newman sits around brooding, drinking Olympia beer.

Henry Fonda is excellent here, even though he's in a plaster cast for virtually the entire movie. He has to walk around with his left arm suspended. The tomato rating on this post for him isn't really for him - it's for his arm. Later, his right arm comes into play - the big payoff of the entire film.

Another thing that really impressed me was the photography, which managed to capture the sheer scale of the small family's giant logging operations, like the logs floating down the river and the mountainside clear-cutting operation.