20% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

El Hijo de la novia (Son of the Bride) Reviews

Carlos M

December 10, 2009
Campanella is one of my favourite directors, and this is for sure the greatest masterpiece of his career, one wonderful piece of work with impeccable performances and a story so moving and funny that it makes me cry rivers and laugh the same amount every time I see it.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

April 8, 2009
Director Campanella lives up and delivered a funny and deeply moving story, of Rafael a fifty-something guy going through a mid-life crisis.
It's quite difficult to find this kind of films, because most of the films nowadays lose sight of the most important thing, the real human emotion,the real lives, the real feelings, the real love. The film was so beautiful and everything worked perfectly together, the writing, directing and acting. There is nothing to say about the people or their interactions, they were just being themselves as in real life, there we don't have heroes. No wonder it was nominated for Best Foreigner Language Film.
August 12, 2011
Awesome movie ! It made me feel upset then made me laugh then made me upset but soon made me laugh again. It was like lifes itself. Ricardo Darin is incredible! Btw who the hell is Dick Watson? Lol!
nanoqna
November 6, 2007
im so glad i got 2 seethis. the character is cool. i think everyone thinks this is so much better than the notebook!
October 12, 2007
As you might guess from the country of origin and the fact that you (probably) haven't heard of this movie, it's one of many I picked up on the cheap simply because it was there and reviews said it was good (it's hovering around 7.8 on IMDb). It's an Argentinian movie, which I must say probably makes it a first for me, at least insofar as that particular aspect. It's certainly not the first comedy/drama/romance around, but that's okay, because it's not really fair to hold any of those three very general categories against a movie.

What can I hold against this movie? I honestly don't know. I...wasn't expecting the drama? That isn't fair either though, to criticize a film because it isn't what I expect, and if you've read many of my past reviews, I'm usually pleased by such things. I'm definitely pleased here. This film was nominated that year for a Best Foreign Language Oscar (against Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain--a.k.a. Amélie--no less) and I can certainly see why.

The director is on Juan José Campanella, whose name is ringing a distant, foggy bell in my head, but I can't figure out what for based on the credits I see established for him. Perhaps it's a different Campanella--who can say? Still, I may have to keep an eye on him all the same.

Ricardo Darín is Rafael (Rafa to his father Nino, played by Héctor Alterio) Belvedere, owner of a family restaurant in Argentina, with an estranged ex-wife, a daughter of school age, and a beautiful girlfriend. He doesn't notice these things too much, as he spends 90% of his time on his cell phone arranging things with suppliers, banks and staff members to keep the restaurant running in top condition. At the beginning we see him as a child, playing Zorro to a group of older bullies, then coming in with his friend Juan Carlos (played as an adult by Eduardo Blanco) to his mother's protection and butter cookies. Then we see his new life of constant business and hurry, never having a moment for everything, all other activities interrupted by his ownership of that restaurant.

We find out that it was this business that broke his marriage apart--but unlike the usual explanation, simply that he is business-driven and so does not see the things around him, we find out that this drive is because he wanted desperately to make his mother proud of him, and took on the business to prove his worth to her--unfortunately, she was stricken with Alzheimer's just as he achieved this success, and so, while it may have done what he wanted, he (and we) will never know, and he has destroyed his marriage as a result, and loaded himself down with immense stress, hurting the new woman in his life as well.

But in counterpoint, we see his father, still devoted after 44 years to his wife Norma (Norma Aleandro) who stays in a nursing home to keep her safe and happy through her sickness, visiting her every single day, and deciding that what he needs to do is give her the dream he didn't so many years ago, a full-fledged ceremonial wedding. He is always upbeat and optimistic, we never see that melodramatic grimace when his wife doesn't remember him. He patiently smiles at her and stays and talks anyway, and he is determined to give her this, even as Rafael reminds him that she won't even know it has happened anyway.

It's absolutely wonderful overall; it's a study almost purely of Rafael, with the other characters revolving around our experience of him to highlight flaws, qualities, ignorances and every facet of his being. We see what his reflection is in the face of the undying love of his father, the harried self-affirmation of his ex-wife, the still youthful optimism of his girlfriend, and eventually the friend he defended as "Zorro," Juan Carlos, shows him what is that he does not see or appreciate, as we learn the life he has led in the intervening years.

The cast is fantastic. The light coming from Alterio when he speaks of or acts on his love for his wife is absolutely believable, and Darín rises easily to the challenge of showing us all the sides of Rafael that must be displayed for the movie to work. Natalia Verbeke shows us the valiant efforts of Nati, Rafael's girlfriend, to live out and gain what she wants, the strengths and the dependencies she shares with all people. Really just a very, very good movie.

Weird note: Alterio is like some odd combination of Eli Wallach and Hector Elizondo and recent Dennis Hopper in appearance. It's almost distracting, if it weren't for his performance. And Blanco? He reminds me of the frumpy, skinny nervous guy who had a bunch of small roles in movies in the late 90s mixed with a calmer Roberto Benigni.

Actually, I do have one complaint. The subtitles on this DVD are awful. I noticed many a line that was dropped, many were obscure in their origin (i.e., "Who said that?") and some were unbelievably vague (no antecedents for pronouns). The most distracting example was:
"How is she?"
"My mom? More or less. She has Alzheimer's."
"Is that a new one?"

I do get the idea (I've had to "translate" bootleg subtitles before, which were admittedly leagues worse) but this makes no real sense. More or less? What? This is awful. If you need to know the original language to understand the conversation, there's no point in even HAVING the subtitles. It was terribly distracting and difficult to deal with. Still, that's the fault of Sony Pictures Classics, not the film-makers. But, be warned if you don't know Spanish (like me).
mark d.
February 2, 2014
Havana Film Festival: Audience Award; OCIC Award; both for Juan José Campanella; 2001.
Montréal World Film Festival: Best Latin-American Feature Film; Special Grand Prize of the Jury; both for Juan José Campanella; 2001.
Valladolid International Film Festival, Valladolid, Spain: Silver Spike, Juan José Campanella; 2001.
Viña del Mar Film Festival, Viña del Mar, Chile: Paoa, Best Supporting Actress, Norma Aleandro; 2001.
Argentine Film Critics Association Awards: Silver Condor; Best Actor, Ricardo Darín; Best Director, Juan José Campanella; Best Editing, Camilo Antolini; Best Film; Best New Actress, Claudia Fontán; Best Original Screenplay, Juan José Campanella and Fernando Castets; Best Supporting Actor, Eduardo Blanco; Best Supporting Actress, Norma Aleandro; 2002.
Cartagena Film Festival: OCIC Award, Juan José Campanella; 2002.
Gramado Film Festival: Audience Award Latin Film Competition, Juan José Campanella; Golden Kikito Latin Film Competition - Best Actress, Norma Aleandro; Kikito Critics Prize Latin Film Competition, Juan José Campanella; 2002.
Lima Latin American Film Festival: Elcine First Prize, Juan José Campanella; 2002.
Cinema Writers Circle Awards, Spain: CEC Award, Best Supporting Actor, Héctor Alterio; 2002.
Ondas Awards, Barcelona, Spain: Film Award, Best Actress, Natalia Verbeke, (also for El Otro lado de la cama); 2002.
Oslo Films from the South Festival: Audience Award, Juan José Campanella; 2002.
Sant Jordi Awards, Barcelona, Spain: Sant Jordi, Best Foreign Actor, Ricardo Darín (also for La Fuga and Nueve reinas; Best Foreign Film, Juan José Campanella; 2002.
São Paulo International Film Festival, São Paulo, Brazil: Audience Award, Best Feature - Foreign Language, Juan José Campanella; 2002.

Nominations

Montréal World Film Festival: Grand Prix des Amériques, Juan José Campanella; 2001.
Valladolid International Film Festival: Golden Spike, Juan José Campanella; 2001.
Academy Awards: Oscar; Best Foreign Language Film, Argentina; 2002.
Argentine Film Critics Association Awards: Silver Condor, Best Art Direction, Mercedes Alfonsín; Best Cinematography, Daniel Shulman; Best Music, Ángel Illarramendi; Best Supporting Actor, Héctor Alterio; 2002.
Cartagena Film Festival: Golden India Catalina, Best Film, Juan José Campanella; 2002.
Cinema Writers Circle Awards, Spain: CEC Award, Best Actor, Ricardo Darín; Best Supporting Actress, Norma Aleandro; 2002.
Gramado Film Festival: Golden Kikito, Latin Film Competition - Best Film, Juan José Campanella; 2002.
August 25, 2013
Hermosa película! Tierna, muy tierna.
May 19, 2013
Rather slow paced and very predictable.
January 18, 2011
it's a good story, and ricardo darin's acting is always great. but i got bored at times.
September 7, 2011
I love all Ricardo Darin´s movies. This one is mandatory for his fans, a great movie.
August 10, 2011
4.7 Dramedy de nivel. Actuaciones remarcables en una película que muestra el devenir del tiempo tal como es: un vaivén agridulce en el que nunca es tarde para aprender. Excelente.
January 31, 2011
i love completely this movie
December 21, 2010
Great movies are about great stories and this is certainly one. It will make you laugh with the same facility it would make you cry. Interested in knowing what real and desinterested love is as well as gratitute???? Do not miss this Argentinian flick!
Ray Roth
December 7, 2010
A serious start for a comedy, yet this movie quickly evolves to tragicomedy and builds to a crescendo of intermingled tears and laughter and culminated in teary-laughter (for me and mine). A bitter-sweet life lesson that combines good writing and directing with a major dose of great acting crowned by confident restraint.

Watch for the "extras" scene where Eduardo Blanco steals the show!

And my girl friend was very surprised when she realized I guessed Dick Watson's claim to fame correctly.

By the time of this writing it achieved an 86% rating on this site and I agree with that rating 100% ;)

I saw the original version with English sub-titles and I loved it.
rafael t.
September 27, 2010
one of the best romantic movies ever made... outstanding acting. Darin it's pure talent in everything he does.
disputed t.
November 14, 2009
Love it! This is what you get when the tree greatest argentinian actors work together with a great director and a wonderfull script.