Sonny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sonny Reviews

cosmo313
November 5, 2011
I like Nicolas Cage, honestly...for the most part. So, when I heard he directed a film starring James Franco as a male hustler who tries to get out of the life, I figured, "hey, this might be a good, gritty, indie drama".

Well, it's not. It's sometimes sleazy and gritty, but it feels undercooked and slightly polished. It's also really draggy asnd boring, which I didn't think was possible. Franco does what he can, and he's okay, but he can't quite save it. Stanton also helps elevate things, but he could have been used a lot more...and better. Suvari was okay, probably the best out of all the ladies here, but even then she's not given much to work with, and her performance isn't all that great. She does have a bit of chemistry with Franco though, and she's nice to look at.

Overall, this is a plodding, dull mess. It's also about 20 minutes too long. Avoid.
January 19, 2011
Uneven, seemingly indecisive direction from Nicolas Cage leads this potentially affecting film astray. As it stands, it is mildly interesting. The best aspect of it is James Franco, who gives solid evidence of his considerable abilities as an actor.
December 19, 2007
It's no secret that Nicolas Cage is incapable of saying no to any script - except he decided to direct this one. Doesn't make it any better.
September 11, 2007
I hated this movie. I wasn't interested in anything that happened.
½ June 4, 2013
Well this was incredibly disappointing. It seems like it should have had quite a bit going for it: Nic Cage directing, James Franco starring and New Orleans as the setting. But really, it seems that Nic Cage can't direct, Franco gives a pretty restrained performance in this and New Orleans is barely shown at all in the movie, and when it is, it doesn't do much to add to the atmosphere. The story is lame, I didn't care about any of the characters, and it just felt all-around vacant, like there was nothing here that really wanted you to get invested in the movie. The only reason I'm rating it so high is for Nic Cage's cameo, and that's only a few minutes long out of this almost 2 hour long movie (it really didn't need to be that long, that was another problem). Anyway, Nic Cage plays this rich coke-fueled pimp dressed in a hideous yellow suit, and for the couple minutes he's on screen, that's the high point of the movie. And even that was one of his more forgettable characters. So yeah, I can't really recommend this to anyone. Not to Cage fans, not to Franco fans, not to fans of seeing New Orleans in cinema...it's just an overall dud.
June 16, 2012
Greatly underrated film, James Franco's best performance. The film is a mix of film noir, southern gothic and Midnight Cowboy. Blethyn's character is an honest portrayal of this type of personality in this disgusting, degrading profession. James Franco shows the Brando and James Dean comparisons easily in this but it is not caricature. The film is a great character study and condemning of prostitution but it shows how society does not give you second chances easily and uses their own fake modesty while oblivious to their own hypocrisy.
½ October 17, 2008
This movie was honestly the most horrible movie I have ever seen. My eyes were glued to the screen in hopes that something would change and make the movie better or that it would soon be over. Neither one of those came true. The best part of the movie was seeing Nicolas Cage as acid yellow which was absurd.
August 17, 2008
This could have been a lot better. Granted, I wanted to watch it because of Franco, but even he couldn't really save the movie. He played a very unsympathetic character who only tried once to get out of being a hustler and then seemed to be alright with having sex for money. Nicolas Cage needs to not direct anything ever.
½ February 5, 2008
Love james, and this movie was sooo good. Not a movie for younger people(My mom doesnt know i saw it. AHA) but its really good. and james was hot,and his acting was like BAM!
½ September 23, 2007
Beats you over the head a little with the theme, but excellent performances. Make-up finally covered those dark circles under Franco's eyes.
June 21, 2007
I don't really know what to say about this movie...kind of strange. I only watced it becasue I like Nicolas Cage and James Franco.
½ June 2, 2007
Not bad at all. It struck a cord throughout--apparently men can be used for sex too. Franco and Suvari are at their best, which is a credit Cage's directing. Cage's cameo was hilarious if not completely unnecessary.
January 26, 2015
The movie lost me the moment Nicolas Cage (the film's director) shows up....being Nicolas Cage.
May 25, 2012
It's a sad day when James Franco lets me down, but I guess I need to remember that this was a Nicholas Cage movie and well...nothing he does is good.
½ June 4, 2013
May 26, 2013
Good acting by James Franco, but sordid and depressing story. Even Brenda Blethyn wasn't good in this one, and she usually rises above her material. At least the ending wasn't terrible, but Nick Cage's direction was. He should have remembered his own
roles better.
½ April 11, 2013
Yes, it's terrible, a bad film. It's funny though, it's often unintentionally funny and sometimes it's clearly supposed to be but it's a relatively enjoyable experience if you allow yourself to mock every aspect of it and avoid it's attempts at trying to be a real movie.

The script is terrible- I can almost see why Cage worked on this movie- it's got some similarities to some of Cage's older stuff, Wild At Heart for example and a few others but they aren't particularly good movies, they tend to be undercooked and generally ambitious failures. They have potential though but this one is too ridiculous to have any real chance at being good, or even average. I sense a lot of Rumble Fish in this one with Franco's similarities to Dillon but Rumble Fish is pretty interesting and has some great performances- this does not.

There's not much to say about Cage's directing- if his aim was to bring out great performances then he failed, if he was aiming to make it look stylish then its acceptable but nothing special, maybe he was aiming for something intentionally ridiculous and funny. (that sounds like a long shot but it's really not- the best performance in this movie is his five minute cameo as a coke-addicted pimp and it's absolutely ridiculously beautiful in all it's glory) Even if that is what he was going for though, the performances don't reflect that (Blethyn does and Stanton does a great job at bringing some seriousness to the table without ever seeming to take himself too seriously) but Franco is deadly serious and it's pretty laughable, I don't mean to bully him- he has done some good work but this reminds me of his poem: a deeply serious portrayal of something that's utterly ridiculous. I fear Franco just doesn't have the warning in his head that tells him when something sucks basically. I dunno, he's probably not a bad guy and his acting is technically good but in this case it's overly-serious and not right for the film at all. (He got a D in acting school, I can say this shit so get off my back fangirls.)

Suvari's performance is harder to judge- I think she is closer to the mark of seriousness while capturing the right tone for the film but her character is typecast and limited so there's no real development to judge.

The script is the real failure out of everything though, it's simply terrible, the premise is fine and there's some intentionally funny moments and I can see how, if the tone was correct, some of the script would have worked but no, just no. There's some themes that are kind of interesting but they are barely even touched on, you have to make them up for yourself- you have to imagine how the film could have worked and that's not a good sign.

Overall this is a failed project- quite the train wreck for everyone involved really and a terrible choice of film for Cage to start directing- I'd be interested to see him working with something good and see what he brings to the mix (I feel like all he did here was the brilliant cameo and telling Franco to break things a lot- which Franco didn't do very well). It's just a disappointment really- it looks like it'd be worth watching but there's nothing special there.
½ December 20, 2012
I tried watching this...really, really bad. Cage should stick to acting -- he's good at it.
cosmo313
November 5, 2011

½ July 23, 2012
This movie is so wierd but good! Very interesting storyline. Nicolas Cage directing is subperb! James Franco played Sonny to the T.