67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Sorry, Haters Reviews

May 8, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]In "Sorry, Haters", Phyllis(Robin Wright Penn) is an unstable and divorced executive for a music television channel in New York, looking to redeem her corporate job and make a difference in her empty life. One night, opportunity arrives when she hails a cab driven by Ashade(Abdellatif Kechiche), originally from Syria where he earned a PhD in chemistry. He spends all of his free time trying to gain the freedom of his brother who was deported and caring for his sister-in-law, Eloise(Elodie Bouchez). After he drives Phyllis out to her former home in New Jersey, she offers to help by contacting an attorney friend.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]But then she asks Ashade if he is interested in retribution...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Sorry, Haters" is a believable allegory about terrorism and American culture that Robin Wright Penn keeps together through sheer force of will. The movie has more than its share of twists, but never entirely goes off the rails. On the other hand, it is less than original.[/font]
alanjayh
alanjayh

May 4, 2010
wow what a movie...very realistic and an excellent performance by Robin Wright Penn...all I can say is see this movie!! Its a very disturbing and provocative character study...and yes, the ending will leave you speechless, and having you thinking long afterwards!
iLeo
iLeo

December 12, 2007
Pretty interesting, but intense.
WrellikW
July 19, 2008
It was a pretty good movie. About a Syrian cab driver, that takes a fare and the cab patron tries to help the cab driver, with immigration papers for his brother and the events that come out of it. It was pretty good and I would recommend it; to see once.
tashagirl113
January 1, 2008
This film absolutely blew my mind. A masterpiece in my opinion. I had actually seen this movie advertised on my cable package, but always skipped by it... I am glad I didn't this time. This film took another take on post 9-11 by exploring the many hardships muslim immigrants had/have to face by many Americans after such a horrible tragedy. This film will move you and I highly suggest you give it a look, but please do so with an open mind and no prejudice.
lettie63
August 30, 2007
Interesting movie, a bit slow at first if you are used to action right away and in every scene, but this one is a slow burner, unexpected, it grabbed me, had me watching and it surprised me. I really enjoyed Robin Wright Penn's performance, she's wonderful.
Dahak
October 24, 2012
This film starts out very slow and boring but it builds up to an ending that will probably leave you in utter shock and disbelief,so it is really worth hanging to the end of it.Robin Penn is truly great in this film as is her co-star.but robin's performance should have earn her an oscar,it was that good
October 23, 2012
Robin Wright and Abdel Kechiche gave the performance of a lifetime and I never ever want to see this movie again
March 2, 2012
This to me was one of those philosophical movies that just ends up being an oversimplified conversation about very important issues. I don't want to spoil the ending for you, but if you make it past the half-way mark, it's worth sticking around for.
Kyle W.
December 6, 2010
Effing brilliant. Wright-Penn is astonishing in this film as cerebral Phoebe. I will never get over the explosive ending.
CocteauBoy
November 8, 2010
A disturbing... very disturbing, look into the life of Phoebe as she tries to make sense of her loneliness, isolation, and lack of meaning in the wake of her experience of the 9/11 attacks in NYC. This is a dark spiral of a story that starts out strong and making sense, but slowly turns round and round on itself, tighter and tighter, until the f'd up world in which Phoebe lives is surrounding and suffocating. Robin Wright Penn is phenomenal in bringing this character to life in a way that provokes from us a helpless pity and anger for Phoebe.
wxid
January 26, 2008
[b]Sorry, Haters[/b] [color=red]7.0/10[/color] :fresh:
[i]Sorry, Haters[/i] tries to cover too many things to, well, hate, all in the one flick and it requires a rather drastic suspension of disbelief about three quarters in.
Having said that, both of the leads are remarkably compelling in their bizarre, psychopathic ways and, though perhaps I shouldn't admit it, I didn't spot quite [i]all[/i] the twists and turns well beforehand in this one unlike the usual dreary "thrillers" being thrown at the screen. I could perhaps put some of my appreciation of this flick down to a certain amount of accountant empathy for Phoebe, having been drumming through other people's millions for the last couple of decades. But even for those of you without a book-keeping bent the twisted, unreal, people here should be entertaining enough.

[b]Secret Men's Business[/b] [color=red]6.5/10[/color] :fresh:
Four old mates gather together for the funeral of their old English Lit teacher some 12 years after high school, and form an impromptu wake at his beach house. Amidst the drinking, the ogling of topless women, and endless rounds of poker, truth and self-realisation ensue.
This Australian film is pretty well cast. The leads are (mostly) well targeted and the downcast Doug (Ben Mendelsohn) is a pretty much spot on burnt out creative genius trapped in advertising purgatory. The others come across well too, but really the characterisations here are a bit thin and heavy on the stereotypes. Or maybe they're archetypes. The first, oh, half of the flick is interesting and involving as the "secrets" come out, but the film loiters too long, lingers unnecessarily around the ending, and comes out dragging. Toss in an awful confrontation with a biker gang, and the whole tone slips badly in the second half rendering the fast forward button a tempting target.
Watch the first 45 minutes, fast forward through the rest with subtitles on, and you won't miss much. But still, this is a slightly better than average flick and deserves an appropriate score.
HAPPYGO
January 3, 2008
[center][b][size=3][color=darkorange]I thought the movie Sorry, Haters was the worst put together movie. It was very interesting at the beginning, then I became bored of it in the middle. I believe the climax was at the end, if I am wrong well I don't care, but I thought Robyn Wright Penn could have done a much better job than that. I guess I was wrong. When she was in Princess Bride I thought what an aweome actress, but you live you learn, you suck once in a while, right?[/color][/size][/b]
[/center]

May 8, 2007
jazza923
May 3, 2007
5.5/10. A strange film, very unusual. Solid performances by all, Sandra Oh in particular is outstanding. It's a very cold film though. Stylishly directed. I had a hard time getting into the characters.
anjiecbz
December 14, 2006
This movie was excellent. Robin Wright Penn was awesome!!! It's about a Muslim cab driver & the woman who gets in his cab. Definitely one that makes you go "hmmmmm"!!!
frameofmind
October 3, 2006
[i][b]Little Miss Sunshine[/b][/i] >> >> Depressingly hopeful comedy with quirky performances and good pacing.

[b][i] Sorry, Haters[/i][/b] >> >> Apparently this film has split critics. If I recall, there was one who said this film is "un-American." I think that's absurd. It's not a perfect movie, but it's an interesting view on the after effects of 9/11.

[i][b] A Sound of Thunder[/b][/i] >> >> A low budget sci-fi movie about time travel that just isn't as fun as it could have been and it's illogicality doesn't make sense.

[b][i] Lucky Number Slevin [/i][/b]>> >> Very witty and charming to begin with, eventually becomes too serious and turns into the usual crime caper.

[i][b]Cello [/b][/i]>> >> The first 3/4 of the film is excruciating, and by the time the decent ending comes along... it doesn't matter anymore. It's not that it was really slow. I don't mind slower pacing. I love [i]Gerry[/i]. Go watch that beautiful film if you want slow pacing. It's that [i]Cello [/i]is trying to be mysterious and suspenseful but fails because it lacks focus.
Kliner
October 2, 2006
[color=#ffeecc][font=Arial][font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=darkorange]Usually when I see a small independent film that wasn't any good I don't bother writing a review of it because most of you haven't heard of it so why bother bringing your attention to it? But in the case of Sorry, Haters I must take a moment to explain how ridiculous this film is because it will most likely top my "Worst Movies of 2006" list. Now how could an independent film about an Arab cab driver and a very troubled New York business woman starring Robin Wright Penn, one of the best actresses alive, be horrible? Trust me, it was hard to accept, but it is. Some critics acknowledge that this film is a misguided mess but recommend it because of Penn's amazing performance. For myself, I acknowledge that Robin W. Penn is amazing here, but she always is, and when the credits began to roll at the end of Sorry, Haters all I could think was, "80 minutes was too long." In 80 minutes director Jeff Stanzler tries to pack in so many different ideas and issues I can't imagine how any of it ever made sense. Now the worst movies of any given year you may think are the poorly made, poorly acted, silly, stupid or vulgar films, but really those are just wastes of time. No, the worst movies are the ones that intrigue you, that hint at some great message or meaning but then come out of nowhere and kick you in the crotch (metaphorically speaking) and then kick you again when you're already down; that is how I would describe my experience watching Sorry, Haters. The first act was intriguing, then the second act involved a significant twist I didn't see coming, "well done" I said, but then the third act tries to explain the twist and all previous behavior of the insane protagonist only to, a few minutes later, come out of left-left field and put a couple more twists on the so-called explanation. Are you confused? Don't worry my anger greatly outweighed my confusion.[/color][/size][/font][/font][/color]