Spaceballs Reviews

½ May 23, 2013
Moments of real humor, but it relies to heavily on the cornball schtick.
½ May 11, 2011
It's just great. The unique movie which you see John Candy, Rick Moranis, Mel Brooks and John Hurt! A great Star Wars spoof.
½ October 1, 2010
Not quite as great as I wanted it to be, but Mel Brooks directs the hell out of this hilarious comedy in ways that are not seen very much in film these days. The spoofing of Star Trek and other classic Sci-Fi films is absolutely genius, but I felt like the creators could have added a few more smart gags than they did. The film is a little too self-aware, but it's well directed, well shot, and well acted. "Spaceballs" is definitely a one-off film, but I really enjoyed it while watching it! Great fun!
FilmFanatik
January 11, 2007
I think like a lot of people, I saw Mel Brooks' space opera spoof classic Spaceballs at a young age. Of course, anything to do with Star Wars at that age captured my imagination, but this was a fun movie on its own. To this day, it still holds just as much appeal as it did back then, perhaps even more so. Now, as an adult, I get all of the jokes and I appreciate the fantastic ensemble cast. For me the best scenes in the movie involve Rick Moranis, in particular when he's acting out his evil plans by playing with dolls of the characters in the movie, including his own. It's so bizarre and absolutely hilarious at the same time. Of course, my favorite line in the movie is "Funny, she doesn't look Druish," as I'm sure it is with a lot of folks. Anyways, I'll stop rambling now, just enough to say that this a personal favorite of mine that never gets old. Pure comfort food cinema at its comedic finest.
½ August 8, 2007
Probably the last modern Brooks spoof before he lost his touch. There is another excellent cast here, the usual brooks gang, the highlight has to be Moranis as 'Dark Helmet', this guy totally runs the show and the laughs in this film with his sidekick George Wyner as 'Col. Sanders'.

But lets not forget Brooks and his great little tash LOL he looks naked without it as he normally has one. Lets face it the villains in this are leagues better than the heroes, early role for Pullman and regular comedy spot for Candy. The effects are actually pretty good as well, mainly 'Pizza the Hut' and 'spaceball 1'. To be honest this is a flick that I would love to see a sequel for.
TomBowler
½ August 2, 2009
Mel Brooks, what have you done. Full review later.
DreamExtractor
August 18, 2011
Spaceballs is a funny movie, and I enjoyed it, but I don't consider it a perfect spoof of Star wars.
CloudStrife84
April 8, 2007
My favourite Mel Brooks film. A hilariously witty Star Wars spoof, that includes some of the funniest lines ever written for comedy. I loved it as a kid and even more so now. It's just sad they don't make them this great anymore.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 31, 2011
Mel Brook's Spaceballs is a very funny Star Wars spoof. Not only is the film a Star Wars spoof, but it manages to poke fun at many other films too. Notably, Alien, Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom and Planet Of The Apes. Mel Brooks is a terrific comedic director, and if you've seen his previous works such as Bazing Saddles and Young Franstein; then you know what to expect. Brook's flair for creating effective humour is present throughout and the jokes are funny in the typical Mel Brooks way. The cast that Brooks has assembled a fine cast of comedians here. John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman all deliver something comical and enjoyable on screen. Spaceballs is an enjoyable film that should be seen with friends and it provides the viewer with two hours of good, funny entertainment. If you've seen the films it parodies, then it's a lot more fun of course. Spaceballs is a good comedy with plenty of laughs The acting is fairly good, and Spaceballs is one of the best spoof films aside from Airplane! The gags are over the top at times and fun. Mel Brooks' script and directing are terrific, and Spaceballs is a very original spoof film that doesn't get enough credit. Spaceballs has all the usual Mel Brooks trademarks, zany characters, an over the top story and of course good comedy. Spaceballs is terrific parody film and is, along with Airplane! my favorite parody film.
September 6, 2010
This movie is so hilarious, it's one of Brooks' best spoof movies. It is a bit ridiculous at times, but that just adds to the hilarity. I love this movie.
MeetMeinMontauk
May 24, 2009
My favorite Mel Brooks film I think. Hysterical.
AC rating: Well, Brooks isn't the greatest commentator in the world, but he does mention some aspect of the producing side of a film production. And that you don't get very much in audio commentary.
erika250
February 26, 2010
found it to be so dumb.
ScoopOnline
April 21, 2007
Once upon a time warp in deep space, the struggle between the nice & the rotten goes on...
IntheBasket
½ November 30, 2009
What I despise about Spaceballs is the pathetic nature of it. It is trying to simply suck all of the money it can from Star Wars while defaming it and making fun of its characters and plot. Some spoof movies can be decent, but this was just one long joke that got old extremely fast.
skactopus
½ March 24, 2007
Spaceballs-The Review:Spaceballs has got to be one of Mel Brooks' finest movie parodies.At a tad short, but appropriate 90 minutes, Spaceballs consistently entertains with its quirky and slapstick comedy. What makes this picture funny is the fact that it isn't all about sex jokes or mimicking other films over and over, although there is some of that in here. And yes, this is a parody of Star Wars."LUDICROUS SPEED! GO!" Th............1987............P!"Well, are we stopped?" "We're stopped, Sir." "Good. Well why don't we take a five minute break?"Sorry, let's try that again in regular speed. The effects are a bit cheesy, however they are tolerable for a 1987 comedy. The dialogue and comedic antics are also highly memorable. This is what makes this film a classic. "Stop this thing! I order you, STOP!"There are many recognizable faces in this picture, including Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman, Daphne Zuniga, John Candy, and Mel Brooks, who casts himself in 2 roles. John Hurt even steps in for an Alien cameo.Fans of comedic parodies will want to check out and then pick up a copy of this. Heck, the instant cassette was out before the film was finished. "May the schwartz be with you!"
September 17, 2009
A typical Brooks spoof, I loved it as a child but I don't enjoy it as much now as an adult! That?s saying something as I'm a very childish adult! It's silly but fun.
½ May 30, 2006
Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing!

I love Spaceballs. Its not a great movie in terms of being a solid parody over a pop culture spoof, but its damn hilarious, even over 20 years later, and Mel Brooks has constructed a wonderful spoof film directed mainly at Star Wars, among other sci fi properties. This is the kind of film that those damn "Date/Epic" movie guys wish they could do, something that is funny and not lazy.

Colonel Sandurz: Prepare ship for light speed.
Dark Helmet: No, no, no, light speed is too slow.
Colonel Sandurz: Light speed, too slow?
Dark Helmet: Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed.

It is a true Star Wars parody in terms of story. The evil Spaceballs, led by Dark Helmet, Rick Moranis, and President Skroob, played by Mel Brooks, have attempted to kidnap Druish Princess Vespa, played by Daphne Zuniga, in order to force planet Druidia to give up their air supply. It is up to Capt. Lone Star, played by Bill Pullman and Barf, a half man/half dog played by John Candy, to save her. This leads to various escapades by the different characters, including travel to a planet where the great Yogurt, also played by Brooks, can teach Lone Star the power of the Schwartz.

Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

As I've said, I love this movie. I've watched it a ridiculous number of times. Its very quotable, and has a great cast that delivers. From the way the film breaks the forth wall to the wonderful production design that perfectly captures the tone of its spoof while being somewhat creative in its own right.

Yogurt: Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower.
[turns it on]
Yogurt: The kids love this one.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 8, 2007
gotta love john candy in a terrible dog costume. another great mel brooks spoof comedy that creates awkward and hilarious moments.
½ March 8, 2008
George Lucas must have finally felt lie a god among men when Mel Brooks used his baby in a parody of the science fiction genre. True, there's nods to Alien and Planet of the Apes, but the entire theme is pure Star Wars. A good cast with some funny bits, though this is far from Brooks best film. There's still the quotable lines and gags, it still feels like a shadowy ghost of Blazing Saddles. It's still a decent send up with some good laughs- just don't expect a masterpiece.