Spawn Reviews

½ March 7, 2009
Ah Spawn, we all know and love this McFarlane creation don't we. The ex-assassin back from the dead as a demonic hellspawn (from hell) armed to the teeth with weapons and with a living suit that is able to metamorphosis into virtually anything that is required at any given moment...handy. His world is dangerous, dark, grimy, violent, savage, chaotic, vicious and bloodthirsty. He has battled thugs, drug dealers, pedophiles, murderers, the KKK and various creatures from the bowels of hell.

If there is any comicbook character that is definitely not for young kids then this is it. Could this comicbook character be anymore badass? the material screams out for a solid ultra violent adult movie adaptation. How could anyone even consider the notion of making a PG-13 out of this graphic splatter fest! ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!..bahaha!..haha...hehe...ahem...oh.

I quite liked this despite many problems with the movie. Unfortunately this characters outing has aged badly showing some horrendous early CGI effects which will shock you. The visuals are generally decent at times, like the comic its very dark, gothic and grim, but its also very obviously filmed on sets and looks a bit fake. Sure the cold night rain comes down in sheets whilst the mist swirls as Spawn leaps around in his fantastic looking living suit...but you need more than that. The other fantasy based creatures are also well created, Clown especially...very dark, humorous and quite chilling. Leguizamo played him brilliantly swinging from reasonably placid too nasty, vicious and perverted in the bat of an eyelid. Best thing about the film easily, kudos.

The Violator is also pretty cool looking in a life size model form yet like a lot of the film the CGI version is pretty lame and ruins it. CGI is a problem with this film as its drenched in it, almost everything is CGI and frankly not much is any good. Jesus Christ even the opening credits are rendered in hokey-ass looking CGI! you can tell back in 97 CGI was the new toy.

On the whole the CGI ranges from excellent on Spawns cape, to poor videogame type visuals on most other things. Hell being the worst with a terrible looking Malebolgia and very plain unexciting looking backdrops, it looks like a student created it at home. The whole thing is very amateurish looking these days it really is, heck even back in the day it didn't come across that well. What's laughable if you look closely is all the legions of Hellspawns are clearly on some kind of animated loop as they all do the same action in the background! Its so obviously the same actor replicated a gazillion times, seriously poor.

The best CGI is probably the work done on Spawn's mask, apart from his cape that is. The small sequences where we see his living suit/mask slide and form over his burnt face is still pretty slick even to this day. Sure his eyes look a bit too big and green but on the whole his mask does look the business. The fact its wet really gives it a living vibe, as though its pulsating, its one of things that does work in this movie.

The acting is hammy with a slight serious edge, but in general its very cheesy. Sheen chews up the scenery and seems to enjoy himself whilst Jai White seems to be going for broke possibly after more comicbook roles. Clearly not expecting much here but this is suppose to be a dark violent franchise, lets try and be somewhat realistic and less camp huh. This film yearns to be harder and more violent (like the comic, what a waste), it is dark brooding and Crow-like for sure but its so watered down its quite painful.

Despite that there is this uneasy feeling throughout where you're not too sure which way the film wants to go. Is it really for a wider audience? is it maybe more for adults? certain scenes seem quite risky and close to the bone but then at the same time its all so docile with no real visible violence or blood, realistic or otherwise. It gives the film an unbalanced feel because its lost somewhere in the middle which will leave both sides of the equation not enjoying the film. Like other similar comicbook franchises they must decide which way they wanna take it, its gotta be for kids or not, simple as that.

Despite that it does have a certain charm which appeals to me, its dark Batman-esque world with hellish creatures and brooding anti heroes still manages to be enjoyable. Spawn being a very likeable character, Wynn is also suitably creepy and Bishop is changed to a female for some reason but pretty hot with some nice gun/blade action. Add some relatively decent action sequences which are kinda fun in a tame kinda way and you can almost get some enjoyment outta this. At least there's a solid thumping soundtrack to be had.

I still wonder what could of been, what it could of achieved had it been made for adults as it should of been. Visually its pleasing if you like this kind of thing (in general), there is just enough comicbook sleaze here to get your teeth into and it still beats 'Ghost Rider' any day of the week.
YodaMasterJedi
December 27, 2013
three stars!
skactopus
March 14, 2007
Mark A.Z. Dippe goes down the dark path with Spawn.This 90 film isn't without its share of flaws, as some of the plot details are vague. There are pieces that could do with a little more elaboration; however, there is enough detail to make sense of the story and follow. The film has a dark style to it, which leaves the film more gloomy in nature, but this is how it should be.The usage of effects and green screen is obvious, although it is satisfactory for its time. The action also has its moments thanks to the powers of Spawn.Michael Jai White may be Spawn, but this film belongs to John Leguizamo. He ends up as the perfect fit for the Violator and his consistent use of "black" humor. Martin Sheen steps in with a solid performance. Theresa Randle is too monotone until the very end.Spawn does have room for improvement, but for what it is, it is a solid 90 minute watch.
October 26, 2011
I thought Spawn was such a cool film as a kid, but remembering it now and having to review it, it is very flawed.....it has poor acting and a poor plot. One thing that is still cool to this day is when Spawn drops in the ballroom at the end and starts fighting......bad ass.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 24, 2011
I remember seeing this in the theatre and liking it. However as the years past by, I realized how lame this film really is. Spawn is the perfect example of a film that was a missed opportunity. By today's standards, the film looks dated like hell. I think its really too bad that this had to happen, because the idea of Spawn is really a cool one. But the result of the film is one that leaves very mixed emotions about the finished product. I think it's a great shame because the concept of Spawn is terrific. The so called "talent" that graces the film is absolutely wasted and a lot of it is very silly. Also the special effects look like crap, and the film looks like crap overall. I know the film is nearing fifteen years old, and all that CGI was advanced back then. But with a plateau of action films that have since been released, well Spawn looks awful by comparison. The film is a mix of action and horror, and sometimes offbeat, eccentric humor. This could have been something really, really cool. But instead it's a dud. I watched a few years back, and I was appalled at how bad the film was. Well there were a few cool things about it, but for the most part, the film is terrible. The acting and story are quite sloppy, and it makes you realize that this film is in dire need of a reboot. The filmmakers had a terrific opportunity to do something great, but it falls flat and the film ends up being forgettable. This is a dated action horror film with bad acting, a bad script and is simply a wasted opportunity to have created one terrific film. Spawn doesn't work, and it really does show its age.
June 20, 2010
19/06/2010 (DVD)

Back in 1997 this flick was shockingly cool, a real "for the boys" type of film and I probably would of rated it higher.

Even though it was quickly forgotten, watching it again got me remembering what a hit it was and how during that time, nothing looked as cool or did cool stuff like "Spawn"... the funny thing is today we've seen better CGI which makes the CGI done on this movie look ugly, but "Spawn" still looks cool.

If you watch this and keep in mind that the CGI was done in 1997, it's a pretty entertaining watch.
January 15, 2010
Did not like this movie at all! One of the worst hero/anti-hero films ever made!
½ December 7, 2009
This has got to be one of the worst adaptions and horrible looking comic book movies. It is a kid friendly bastardization of the source material with a lot of big name actors that have no idea what to do. This is nothing close to what Spawn should ever be.
½ September 24, 2009
The computer game on the Sega Dreamcast was so much better!
½ August 15, 2009
I don't see why a lot of people don't like "Spawn." I thought it was a good movie and it has some of the best special effects I've ever seen. It's about Al Simmons (Michael Jai White), who is killed during an explosion after someone he knew turned his back on him. He comes back as a scarred man who agrees with the devil to lead an army of hell in order to seek revenge against Jason Wynn (Martin Sheen) and the others that did him justice, and to have a chance to get his life back with his wife and kids. Since he agreed with the devil about this new mission, he now has the ability to turn himself into Spawn. With this new suit of armor and the ability to do many things such as make spikes come out of him and to turn a motorcycle that he's riding into a huge Spawn head, he will try to seek revenge and possibly get his life and family back.
"Spawn" has an effective storyline and some jaw-dropping special effects. You'll see what I mean about the special effects just about all the way through the movie. All the people in the movie do a good job of acting, especially John Leguizamo as the goofy clown. "Spawn" has elements of a horror movie, an adventure movie, and even a drama movie all wrapped up into one great movie. I recommend anybody to at least watch "Spawn." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Definitely one of the best superhero movies of all time.
August 20, 2006
Finally watched it again 12 years after I saw it in the cinema. It's just as bad as I remembered it being. The voice-over and lack of violence really harm the dark source material. The make-up is fantastic. Seeing Leguizamo as a short, fat clown is still incredible. Leguizamo is also obviously having a lot of fun and it's his presence that keep this film vaguely interesting. It punches above it's weight with a large amount of poor CGI that now looks even more ridiculous than in 1997. It manages to evoke some camp charm and some successful gothic imagery, which makes it a strange mix between Burton and Schumacher's Batman films. With this and Batman and Robin in one year, it's no wonder that 1997 was the year comic-book movies nearly became extinct.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ April 5, 2007
Very bad CGI-epileptic fest, Macfarlane should be ashamed.
CloudStrife84
½ April 12, 2007
One word: suckfest.
½ February 2, 2008
not nearly as worthy as its animated series counterpart
½ November 16, 2007
It creeped me the hell out.
February 11, 2007
I love this movie. It's absolutely incrediable. A masterpiece. The greatest speacial effects movie i've ever seen. Wickedly cool and irrevelently fun. Astonishing and breathtaking action sequences and digital effects. Stylish, sizzeling, explosive and extroadinay. A mind-blowing action-packed adventure thrill-ride. A real adreniline rush. Spectacular filmmaking at it's very best. This is one unforgettable and amazing movie. Your eyes wont be able to leave the screen for a second
June 6, 2007
Probably one of the weirdest movies I've ever started. I stopped watching because it was really boring and pretty depressing.
½ December 27, 2006
Really tries hard.
garyX
½ December 13, 2006
Nothing but ugly CGI and unfunny one-liners, as the hero has no charisma at all. Poor.
November 25, 2006
I was really dissapointed with this movie, I feel that the adaptation wasn't good at all and the cast was really bad too