Spellbinder Reviews

½ December 11, 2011
A mostly forgettable 80s horror film starring the beautiful Kelly Preston (the only memorable part of the film), Spellbinder tries to be a creepy tale of modern witchcraft, but ends up being nothing more than a rip-off of The Wicker Man and various other films. Entertaining for hardcore fans of 80s horror, Spellbinder can only be enjoyed as the piece of cheeseball horror that it is.
August 7, 2010
Seeing Kelly Preston dancing around nude in a sheer gown in the firelight makes this movie worth watching. Kind of intriguing but nothing anyone can't figure out if they stay awake long enough.
½ January 12, 2014
Slow moving, creepy mystery. Finally found it on dvd and bought it. Don't expect a huge pay off, but the ending is... memorable.
½ February 15, 2012
More interesting than your typical horror fare. The story focuses on Jeff, an attorney who rescues the lovely Miranda from what looks like an abusive boyfriend. However, it is soon clear that there is more going on than meets the eye, both with Miranda and the situation he took her from. Jeff gets pulled deeper and deeper into her world, and it's not a world that anyone should live in.

The characters, mostly Jeff, but also Miranda and the supporting cast, are far stronger than your average horror flick. Jeff is a genuinely nice guy and the audience can't help but root for him. The characters' actions generally make sense, and the ending does help explain actions that otherwise are a bit off.

As for the plot, this is basically a re-imagining of the Wicker Man, so if you've seen that, you should see where this is going. If not, this movie might surprise you. Hard to find, this movie may be, but it's worth a watch.
January 18, 2012
Pretty cool, good information on witches from the point of view of prey.
February 15, 2011
Awesome! Part of it you will guess part of it you won't
½ June 26, 2004
I liked this movie because I found myself determined to see how the couple would find a way to end up together and be free from the 'cult'. At first, I just thought of the movie as just another one of those types where the woman is rescued by her man and they fight off their opponents, or in this case, the witches, until they can live happily ever after. Yet, to my pleasant suprise this film had a twist where in the end the woman was being deceptive all along for she had lured the man into her world so she and her cult friends could kill him for their yearly human sacrifice ritual. Though don't get me wrong, it was a sad thing for the man, because when you were watching the film you feel his tremense love for her and are as I said determined to see them end up together. Ultimately, I rate this movie pretty fresh because the satisfaction I was planning to receive at the end of the film turned out to be a bigger satisfaction because of the unexpected but very smart and clever ending.