Spellbinder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spellbinder Reviews

½ January 12, 2014
Slow moving, creepy mystery. Finally found it on dvd and bought it. Don't expect a huge pay off, but the ending is... memorable.
½ December 11, 2011
A mostly forgettable 80s horror film starring the beautiful Kelly Preston (the only memorable part of the film), Spellbinder tries to be a creepy tale of modern witchcraft, but ends up being nothing more than a rip-off of The Wicker Man and various other films. Entertaining for hardcore fans of 80s horror, Spellbinder can only be enjoyed as the piece of cheeseball horror that it is.
August 7, 2010
Seeing Kelly Preston dancing around nude in a sheer gown in the firelight makes this movie worth watching. Kind of intriguing but nothing anyone can't figure out if they stay awake long enough.
May 3, 2008
An up and coming lawyer saves a woman in distress and falls in love her but as the story progresses, he starts to realize that she has a very mysterious past, especially since people are after them. The movie winds up leading to a very big twist at the end that I didn't see at the time, but I'm sure watching the movie nowadays, one could easily see it coming. Pretty decent film. Good job from lead actor Tim Daly, and Kelly Preston was alright.
February 29, 2008
For a 1980's horror film, I will admit that it's above average... but that's simply because the majority of horror films made during that time were nothing but exploitative, cheesy, trashy, sleazy drivel. This film does feature an admirable degree of restraint, but it's plot is simply lifted from "The Wicker Man", only replacing the pagan religion with witchcraft. As a result, the film is very derivative and bland. Skip it and just watch "The Wicker Man".
½ June 13, 2007
It's a silly horror movie but is very watchable. You have a young, very sexy Kelly Preston who plays the interesting role of a woman who was born with powers of witchcraft.

There's a steam sex scene; a lot of suspense, and the ending, well, if you like "Wickerman", you'll appreciate the ending of this movie.

If you're in a no brainer mood and want some shallow suspense, this surprising movie won't let you down.

There's eclectic acting forms, some horrible, some terrific. Consider it one of these days.
½ June 26, 2004
I liked this movie because I found myself determined to see how the couple would find a way to end up together and be free from the 'cult'. At first, I just thought of the movie as just another one of those types where the woman is rescued by her man and they fight off their opponents, or in this case, the witches, until they can live happily ever after. Yet, to my pleasant suprise this film had a twist where in the end the woman was being deceptive all along for she had lured the man into her world so she and her cult friends could kill him for their yearly human sacrifice ritual. Though don't get me wrong, it was a sad thing for the man, because when you were watching the film you feel his tremense love for her and are as I said determined to see them end up together. Ultimately, I rate this movie pretty fresh because the satisfaction I was planning to receive at the end of the film turned out to be a bigger satisfaction because of the unexpected but very smart and clever ending.
½ January 18, 2016
A yuppie attorney Jeff Mills (Tim Daly) comes to the aid of the gorgeous and mysterious Miranda Reed (Kelly Preston) when he interferes in what appears to be a domestic dispute. Soon Miranda has moved into his house and taken an important position in his life. Then it turns out that Miranda is fleeing a cult of Satan worshipers who may be intending to sacrifice her. This film co-stats a number of genre veterans including Rick Rossovitch, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Stefan Gierasch, and Audra Lindley. Granted, if you watch a lot of these films, you will see the shock ending coming a mile away, its still a lot of fun.
January 30, 2015
Pretty dull supernatural thriller. Probably an extra star for how gorgeous Kelly Preston is in this.
May 16, 2014
Pretty decent. Definitely better than expected
½ January 12, 2014
½ November 29, 2013
I remember seeing this one when it came out on video and thinking it was pretty good at the time. Watching it now, it doesn't hold up and seems laughably bad at times. Tim Daly rescues Kelly Preston from what he thinks is an abusive boyfriend in a parking lot. He then quickly finds out she's a member of a witches coven and that she is trying to leave. As you can guess, the coven doesn't want her to go and all sorts of witchcraft happens. Horror movies about witches rarely work. Outside of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Wicker Man" there really are not any other great horror movies about witches (though I still haven't seen "Lords of Salem" yet). "Spellbinder" is still kind of fun in a trashy way, but it wasn't the quality horror film I remember, My adolescent brain was probably clouded by Preston, confusing film quality with attractive actresses.
½ August 11, 2013
Some things are just more then what you bargain for... a whole lot more--Flat occult thriller!!
July 10, 2012
I saw this movie the night the dodgers were in the world series and Kirk Gibson hit the now famous home run. What the heck was I thinking?!?!. The movie stunk; I cold kick myself!
½ June 11, 2012
wow.. pretty interesting twist of a movie
½ February 15, 2012
More interesting than your typical horror fare. The story focuses on Jeff, an attorney who rescues the lovely Miranda from what looks like an abusive boyfriend. However, it is soon clear that there is more going on than meets the eye, both with Miranda and the situation he took her from. Jeff gets pulled deeper and deeper into her world, and it's not a world that anyone should live in.

The characters, mostly Jeff, but also Miranda and the supporting cast, are far stronger than your average horror flick. Jeff is a genuinely nice guy and the audience can't help but root for him. The characters' actions generally make sense, and the ending does help explain actions that otherwise are a bit off.

As for the plot, this is basically a re-imagining of the Wicker Man, so if you've seen that, you should see where this is going. If not, this movie might surprise you. Hard to find, this movie may be, but it's worth a watch.
January 18, 2012
Pretty cool, good information on witches from the point of view of prey.
½ December 11, 2011
½ October 2, 2011
Unintentionally hilarious. It gets bonus points for having Mrs. Roper as one of its stars.