Spies Like Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spies Like Us Reviews

½ June 13, 2006
Taking inspiration from the Hope & Crosby "Road to" movies (which explains Hope's cameo...his final film appearance), this is the story of two inexperienced desk jockeys who are suckered in to going undercover on a mission in Soviet Territory, unaware that they are really just expendable, and are being used as decoys. What ensues is a madcap romp through all sorts of exotic places as the two decoys go through one nutty incident after another.

Given the concept and the people involved (just look at all those cameos!) I had some very high hopes for this being good. I'm rather upset to report that the film comes up short and isn't as good as it should have been. Oh yeah, I mean, the cast is good, but a lot of the cameos (a John Landis trademark) just feel pointless and silly. However, it is fun trying to spot them all, including Sam Raimi, Joel Coen, Martin Brest, Terry Gilliam, Ray Harryhausen, and even blues legend B.B. King. Still though, less focus on cameos, and more on a stronger story. I did like seeing Chase and Aykroyd together again, and Bernie Casey's supporting role made me happy, too.

The film is funny, but it's not nearly as funny as it thinks it is. I'm okay with silly humor, but many of the gags go on for too long and after a while you realize that there's really no plot or story (as if there was supposed to be), and you get the feeling that Landis was just banking on the jokes and the actors to carry things along. I wasn't bored though, and I did laugh, but since this is a Landis film, I was expecting something sharp, witty, and brilliant.

I don't regret watching this, but I do wish it would have been better .See it if you want, but don't expect it to be great (like it should have been).
½ June 20, 2011
Funny in some part, until the picture show that the script is not so good or funniest.
½ September 6, 2010
An outrageous, hilarious comedy with a great cast and director. I love this movie.
April 2, 2010
Genius comedy from two of SNL old classic team, Chase and Aykroyd are at their best here as two inept spies being given the run around LOL!
The start of the film is by far the best as you see the two meet up, cheat in an entrance exam, get recruited, undergo training and then dumped behind enemy lines haha its one golden funny moment to the next, truely brilliant.
The later half of the film does get alittle flat, not quite as good but still better than most films today, Landis has made some glorious films in his past and this was missed by many I believe, shame.

TOP film :)
½ April 27, 2007
I love this movie. Saw it a million times on TV and I still enjoy watching it when it's on.
December 6, 2009
Checy Chase and Dan Aykroyd in one Movie. Love every tiny bit of it, specially the scene where they are asked to save Khan`s brothers life and undergo a surgery.

Russian Interregator #1: Why are you here?
Emmett Fitz-Hume: Why am I here? Why are you here? Why is anybody here? I think it was Jean-Paul Sartre who once said... how do you spell spell Sartre?
[soldier slaps him]
Emmett Fitz-Hume: Owww... and let that be a lesson to you.
½ May 7, 2009
Chevy Chase and Dan Ackroyd put the "F" in funny in the movie "Spies Like Us". There's something big going on in Russia. Two government workers are sent out to be spies in different countries. They go to the Middle East, they head out to Russia to scope out a nuclear missile being launched. Unbeknowst to them, they aren't trained to be spies, they're trained to be decoys(sitting ducks)! The Middle East was a hoot. Hanged upside-down when Emmett Hume(Chase) explained to the people that they're Americans. The first part was funny when they fail to perform the appendectomy to a patient. They got their big break when the attack enemy lines and bomb out the foreign police. It was ultra funny when the two faux spies checked out the missile and the crew-persons who came out of the tent. Anything else would be boring. At least the men ended up being heroes. Funny, side-splitting, and totally non-stop laughter to make this movie worth its while
½ October 5, 2007
Very funny movie featuring two of the best comics of the day. They go great together in this flick and it is funny that they didn't do more flicks together. This movie has some great bits in it such as the Doctor scene and the microphone scene. There are plenty more laughs in the flick and there is a point where the plot falls away and we focus on the comic genius we see on the screen.
October 1, 2007
okay. The russian chicks in it are super hot, but otherwise just another 80's comedy.
December 28, 2006
Occasionally amusing spy spoof carried by the comic touch of the two leads. Forgettable.
February 1, 2007
This is not very amusing. Though Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd provide moments, the overall script thinly takes on eccentric espionage and nuclear madness, with nothing new to add.
November 30, 2006
Great fun, a really fun comedy
November 23, 2006
This movie's great.
March 31, 2014
Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd team up for the Cold War comedy Spies Like Us. Two incompetent government employees are fast-tracked through spy training in order to act as decoys in a top secret mission. Co-written by Aykroyd, the comedy is well-done and has some clever satire about the military. However, the film kind of falls apart in the last act and at times the story is sacrificed for jokes. Spies Like Us has some problems, but it's very much a comedy of its time.
July 13, 2011
it's has some of it's moments, and it may be funny, but it's just lost on it's own. C-
October 20, 2007
Forget waiting for any laughs to come along and just play "Spot the director". Seriously, Raimi, Apted, Harryhausen, Gilliam...they're all in here.
½ April 23, 2009
Chevy's comedy career went a lot better than Aykroyd's (name one good effort besides 'Blues Brothers' & 'Ghostbusters'), but here they are funny at the same time on a project not confined to Saturday night.
½ December 25, 2007
August 19, 2007
Funny 80's movie - funny for what it is - its not supposed to be taken seriously.