Spinning Into Butter Reviews

SC007
January 23, 2010
I was happy to see Brooklyn College (the college that I attended) in this film, as the college where most of the action takes place. On the positive, the acting is really good. On the negative, the film feels too much like an after school special or a Lifetime TV film of the week. I figured out right away which character is doing the hate crime.
Lord Naseby
March 24, 2011
I saw this film for my Theater in Film class.

While the film is undeniably well intentioned, that only goes so far for a film. It does what it sets out to do, but it doesn't do it incredibly well.

Acting/Characters: In terms of characters, there is nothing here that hasn't been seen before a million times. The characters here ask the same questions about racism that films such as Crash, Do the Right Thing, and To Kill A Mockingbird do. They just don't do it as well. The characters aren't as well done as they could be. The acting overall of the film is pretty laughable. But like with most bad acting films (not all by any means) that is the fault of the screenwriter. They want to do well with their performances I know they do, they just can't. 3/10

Plot: Like I said before, there's nothing in here that isn't done better in films like Crash or Do the Right Thing. Its pretty predictable overall. Even the ending. It tries very hard to ask the right questions and for all intents and purposes it does. I don't think that they tried as hard as they could to answer them. To me, they just point out the problems. Maybe they do because there is no real solution. Racism is a pins and needles issue with no definitive answer. So, I guess I can't bash them too much for not answering the questions they ask. It's a thoroughly predictable plot that we've seen many times before. It has great intentions, but little merit beyond that. 3.5/10

Screenplay: yeah, this was the worst part of the film. I mean, the screenplay was written by the writer of the original stage play so I should have expected that it would be better than it was. My theater in film teacher said that there are differences between the script of the movie and the script of the play. Maybe the script for the play was better. If so why didn't you stick to it!? *sigh* 1.5/10

Likableness: I didn't particularly enjoy this film. It was mildly interesting and was well intentioned, but it had no real merits outside of that. This isn't a movie I would suggest to anyone. If oyu want to watch a movie like this, watch Do The Right Thing. That movie was excellent. 2.5/10

Final Score: 10.5/40 26% (S)

I couldn't find any TRIVIA TIME stuff for this movie. That makes it even worse.
May 10, 2011
there are good racism movies. this is not one of them. this isn't much of good movie, period. incredibly stale and wooden performances from the entire cast, with the possible exception of Mykelti Williamson. the characters aren't sympathetic, the story is mired in political correctness, and the dialogue is so forced you almost have to wonder if it'd be a different film if people could say what they would naturally say instead of lines off a script. Rebecca Gilman's play is at least somewhat tolerable because it involves a bit of thinking on the audience's part. this does all your thinking for you, and it does a very poor job of it.
March 19, 2011
I saw a reader's theater version of the play a year or two ago. The play itself already verges on preachy, but manages to sidestep it by making it about the characters. Sarah Jessica Parker was unbelievably miscast as the lead. She takes the dialogue and drags it over the preachy line as far as it can go. The rest of the cast does their best to bring it back, but since her role dominates the movie, there's not much they can do about it.
September 16, 2009
Loved it, the movie told more than one story, if you actually can tell.
It told the story line of the movie, some of the black experience and some of the white experience. It told of how we as a people look at each other and the sick minds of man.
Watching this movie can tell you more than you know.
½ June 18, 2009
Lord Naseby
March 24, 2011
I saw this film for my Theater in Film class.

Final Score: 10.5/40 26% (S)

I couldn't find any TRIVIA TIME stuff for this movie. That makes it even worse.
½ March 13, 2011
While the acting and production is rough, it's a somewhat accurate picture of how administration can handle issue in predominately white universities and colleges. While some may say the dialog is ridiculous, as a POC at a predominately white university in Vermont, much of the dialog could have been taken straight out of real life. The issue of race is a messy one and it was intriguing to see a movie reflect more of the reality.
December 10, 2009
Hate crime is a bias motivated crime based on any bigotry, such as skin colour. Now this movie has a very thought-provoking ideas. There were threatening note using a racial word against one black student on campus who has been tacked to his dormitory's door. The debates and activists became prevalent and campus went uproar. So indeed, this movie has interesting ideas. However, sadly to say, this movie is not that well-executed. The dialogue is dull and so did not support the nuance.
August 16, 2009
This is one of those movies that directly confronts our need to have an honest conversation about race and racism. Another thing I love about this movie is that it depicts (very accurately) the culture of higher administration in the university setting. As an University employee myself, there are many aspects of this movie that ring true. My guess is that many people will continue to give this a low rating because they are either uncomfortable or unwilling to discuss racism as an issue, but it is time this nation has this conversation, so this is the first movie I have rated where I will give it 100% for a good script, good acting, and addressing a social issue that is long overdo. Go see this movie!!!!
½ June 18, 2009
4.5/10. A poorly structured film, trite writing, the acting is overzealous and the story is overstated. The film is so busy trying to be significant and important it neglects to entertain.