• Splinters

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Splinters Reviews

June 27, 2012
Had such a great time the other night watching this captivating documentary by Adam Pesce. I was hooked from the opening footage and was not only entertained but educated about the surfing culture of Papua New Guinea and the passion and struggles that fuel the islands top competitors.
April 13, 2012
Great insight not only into the dreams of young surfers but also into the clash of cultural values between indigenous traditions and modern egalitarian ideas.
March 16, 2012
Great movie. Loved it.
March 9, 2012
Awesome Documentary!
March 8, 2012
just a damn good flick, very entertaining
March 8, 2012
Refreshing to see a sport documentary of a different kind. I've never (seriously) surfed - but this film sheds light on the sport's culture in a different context. Great film. Must see.
March 7, 2012
Very well done and looking forward to seeing it again!
March 7, 2012
Great Doc about life in PNG, and the competition between rival Surf Clubs. It is interesting to see what it takes to "make it" and get a chance to get off the island. Really enjoyed it.
March 4, 2012
An awesome documentary that explains of the history of surfing in indiginous Papa New Guinea, as well as a broad overview of the society. Smart and well documented.
February 23, 2012
Documentaries take on many flavors. This one is fascinating by virtue of its raw capture of an unusual collision of elements (modern surf culture and considerably isolated cultures). I find it hard to be too critical because it is such an odd subject and there is no doubt that Adam had to really go "method" to pull this one off. For anyone trying to understand our world and can't resist its wealth of curious tales, here's a good one to absorb.
February 11, 2012
The film beautifully captures village life and tells a great story about people who live a simple life but have truly life changing dreams that could be made possible by surfing. I love the adventurous nature of surfers that means it reaches a place like Vanimo, which is a remote part of a remote country.

As a Papua New Guinean woman I went to this film hopeful but admittedly with a bit of trepidation. So often the country is portrayed in such a negative light but I loved this film. I'm so pleased the film makers didn't patronise or use tired stereotypes just to make a film about surfing. The issues treated by the film...opportunities (or lack thereof), family and clan politics, the role of women, domestic abuse, alcohol abuse, being 'big headed', and so many others can be extrapolated to the whole country. I'm glad the film shows the discussion  about these themes between Papua New Guineans, the dated and modern views, and not westerners trying to educate the natives. It also shows the power surfing could have to help change attitudes. It's a really well paced film that follows characters you want to know more about and root for, in a beautiful place that you rarely get to see.

In a nutshell, highly recommend seeing this film!
Montauk S.
February 10, 2012
As a surfer and a fan of surf films, this is one of the best documentaries on surfing I have ever seen. The stories behind the lives of these villagers are so well told, and the areas in which the director chose to focus gave an added understanding of the experiences within the village of Vanimo. The best part is feeling the universal joy that unites surfers around the world, from all walks of life. Adam Pesce captures it beautifully.
February 9, 2012
Loved it. What a cool documentary. I wish I could see it again and bring my friends!
February 8, 2012
Great Movie it leaves you wanting to know more about the main characters and how they are today plus its great to see the importance that surfing has played in the lives of many in the village of Vanimo!
Paul M.
February 8, 2012
Wow. Adam Pesce has done an amazing job. With Splinters, Pesce manages to show what you can do with a documentary. Stakes are high. People's futures hang in the balance. This film hurts, and laughs, and washes over you with the realisation that you've seen something unexpectedly memorable. Far more than a surf documentary. Highly recommended.
February 4, 2012
Splinters provides a fascinating and heartbreaking glimpse into the life of a small village of surf enthusiasts in PNG who see surfing as their ticket out of a village where economic opportunities are hard to come by and traditions, such as that of buying one's wife, have largely remained unchanged for generations. However, the movie goes well beyond the surf competition to fully develop each of the characters and his or her life within the village, including their relationships and family struggles.
January 28, 2012
I enjoyed "Splinters" at O Cinema in Miami, FL. The documentary is fascinating because it is rich in layers of story telling. I was able to learn about surfing and the people Papua New Guinea. The protagonists' passion for Surfing and their social relationships are covered very well. Don't miss this perfect combination of history and entertainment.