Springfield Rifle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Springfield Rifle Reviews

½ June 17, 2015
You got one horse you can ride. What do you want with another you can't?

Major Alex Kearney is a Union soldier who is about to be discharged. He volunteers to become the first Union spy and try to uncover how the confederates are discovering the routes for their supplies and horses so he can relay those details back to the Union. Can Alex infiltrate the confederates and discover how they keep stealing Union supplies?

"Not used to giving orders, eh?"
"Worse yet, I'm used to being obeyed."

Andre De Toth, director of House of Wax (1953), Crime Wave, Day of the Outlaw, Play Dirty, The Mongols, and Carson City, delivers Springfield Rifle. The storyline for this picture is straightforward and doesn't have much going for it. The action is just average but the acting is solid. The cast includes Gary Cooper, Lon Chaney, Phyllis Thaxter, Philip Carey, and Alan Hale.

"I've said everything I can say. I wish you'd go back but I can't make you."

This is another western that was recommended to me via Fios so I DVR'd it randomly off Turner Classic Movies (TCM). This was a very average picture that doesn't have much going for it. Gary Cooper was his calm, cool, sarcastic self. Other than watching this for that quality in Cooper, I'd skip this film.

"This idea of yours isn't working."
"Give it a chance."

Grade: C
January 5, 2013
gary cooper stars in what was his 3rd western in a row, Visually fine Western, that is as much a crime drama or spy film as a Western.
½ June 17, 2015
You got one horse you can ride. What do you want with another you can't?

"Not used to giving orders, eh?"
"Worse yet, I'm used to being obeyed."

"I've said everything I can say. I wish you'd go back but I can't make you."

"This idea of yours isn't working."
"Give it a chance."

Grade: C
April 21, 2015
This Hollywood classic is worth adding to your collection.
½ June 22, 2014
The Springfield Rifle is a fantastic counterespionage story... The Counterfeit Copperhead--A simple and very familiar sort of story that is well-told and worth seeing!!
August 29, 2013
Gary Cooper goes undercover to find a corrupt goings on within the Calvary,And of course Gary stands against this,The film was a run of Westerns Gary Cooper starred in at the time, but this is one of the best,Plenty of gun action and chase scene's Enjoyable cowboy movie
August 29, 2013
Gary Cooper goes undercover to find a corrupt goings on within the Calvary,Enjoyable cowboy movie romp
½ February 1, 2013
A late Gary Cooper movie. Not a bad little movie.
January 5, 2013
½ December 4, 2011
Solid western from the great Andre De Toth. Cooper is fantastic in it, but the script is a bit flawed and De Toth seems slightly disengaged in comparison to his masterpieces.
July 22, 2011
Excellent western from the underrated DeToth. Cooper is at the center of a complex Civil War era espionage plot. The film flies through twists and turns with double cross after double cross. Cooper is his usual understated self, which works perfectly for the film. DeToth does everything economically and efficiently. Great 50s western.
February 5, 2011
It was quite a complex plot, so at times I couldn't follow too well (small brain, I guess). Overall pretty enjoyable--my brother liked it better than I did, though.
½ February 8, 2011
SPRINGFIELD RIFLE (1952)
May 28, 2010
Old fashioned Civil-War western with Gary Cooper as a more than capable lead. As it is all-action throughout it doesn't falter.
February 7, 2010
Pretty good spy western. Of course Gary Cooper is good in just about anything he does.
½ March 2, 2009
quite a complex plot and very absorbing throughout. cooper was wonderful in his portrayal of a Union officer who must make so much sacrifice in order to do what he believes is right. i love all the twists and turns in the story! and i also learn something about the springfield rifle, the civil war, and more.
January 15, 2008
This is my first encounter with a western espionage movie and who better to play the spy than gary cooper. Not a great film by any means, a merely entertaining one. Cooper plays a disgraced northern soldier who really is just going undercover to find out who is jeopardizing the northen efforts.
½ January 13, 2008
Pretty good western that I saw decades ago.
January 12, 2008