Spy Kids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spy Kids Reviews

August 6, 2013
Robert Rodriguez tones down on the violent and vulgar vibe he's accustomed too and trades it with fun and family-oriented adventures, and it actually pays off. Spy Kids is engaging and has enough for children as well as adults to enjoy. 4/5
Directors Cat
½ November 6, 2011
I get the feeling that at one point in Spy Kids the film makers tried to make these kids look cute and a bit more life like but somewhere I think they went wrong. Not as good as it puts itself out to be.
sanjurosamurai
January 11, 2007
usually critics judge kids movies by adult standars, but fans see kids movies for what they are. with spy kids, its the opposite. the critics get this movie, and fans are entirely too hard on it. a solid kids film that brings little ones into the same sort of fantasy that james bond does for their parents. fun and silly but full of adventure, this is a solid flick.
DreamExtractor
March 23, 2011
A very enjoyable film, its fun and colorful. But like others said, maybe too kid friendly. The cast is funny and good, they picked the right kids for the movie. The plot may be a little ridiculous, but its perfect for kids, and it is Spy Kids. The action is the perfect mix for kids, but adults will be bored maybe. Overall I can't understand all the negativity, I like Spy Kids.
blkbomb
½ July 7, 2011
Carmen Cortez: Never send an adult to do a kid's job.

Spy Kids is too annoying to be enjoyed or find fun. From the two kids, Carmen and Juni to the thumb-whatever's. Carmen and Juni have to be the two most annoying kid characters ever, especially Carmen. Plain and simple, she's a little bitch. Carla Gugino annoys the hell out of me every time I see her in a movie, and her performance as secret spy/mom is no exception. Floop and his castle seem like they belongin a Tim Burton movie. I know it's a kid movie and it doesn't have to have an intricate plot or be smart, but I think this movie is too stupid for even a lot of kids over the age of 5 to enjoy. From instant concrete spray to the electric gum balls. It's all a little too convenient. Rodriguez who normally makes very violent, silly movies; decided to just make some very silly one's with this franchise. I will give the movie credit for one thing; Alan Cumming is perfect in his role. Even though his character is completely moronic.
michael e.
December 22, 2010
It was thought out very well, and is very different from most spy movies, because, as the title implies, the spys are the kids. Plus we got a great performance from Antonio Bandearas, Cheech marin, Danny Trejo, Robert Patrick (even though its more of a small part), and of course a great performance from Alan Cumming as Floop
Movie Monster
½ June 15, 2010
Robert Rodriguez puts his blend of action into an original and energetic family film. Adults will like the action and kids will love every scene with Carmen and Juni, the spy kids. One of the best family films ever made.

"You're just getting stupider by the minute."
June 24, 2010
C+
erika250
March 19, 2010
has a lot of action
½ January 13, 2010
It is a great movie for kids and adults! I have loved it for my entire life so far!
½ November 26, 2009
It was a fun movie, but a little too kid friendly. It amazes me that Robert Rodriguez would make a movie so different from his trademark style. It is pretty bizarre and you can definitely tell that it is above the average kids movie, but it's just a little too upbeat.
TomBowler
½ August 2, 2009
great family flick.
½ June 10, 2009
i liked it when i was little, so it probably sucks.
½ April 20, 2006
I never had any particular desire to see this film. But then came the day when there was nothing else on tv...

This was actually surprisingly bearable. I guess it helps if you don't have any high expectations. The Flooglies and the Thumbs were ridiculous and annoying and the dialogue sometimes a bit cheesy, but other than that, not too bad.
½ August 10, 2007
A few laughs
½ July 7, 2007
and all out latino assault on the american psyche, why not, and aimed at her children...well, ok, not that insidious (but it could be) and all the eye candy a computer nerd could toss at you in a coupla milliseconds, what's to complain about? and ms. gugino...nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!
June 24, 2007
Pretty fun.
½ May 19, 2007
It wasn't that good but it had Antonio Banderas in it so...
January 20, 2007
Not much of a movie, either for the kids or any other audience. Everything is decidedly lacking, between the performances, the anemic cinematography and the blase plot.
deano
½ October 30, 2006
Great funny and action-packed of two junior spies as their parents' sides. Poor Teri Hatcher got her hair ruined - HA! Cheech Marin's character is bit funny as a loser spy. And I was surprised at the final scene, a famous cameo appearances.