100% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Star Trek Reviews

John M

June 29, 2009
I was never a fan of the original Star Trek series or movies but this was one of the best sci-fi movies I have seen in a long time. From beginning to end JJ Abrams and crew did an amazing re-imagining of the Star Trek franchise.
KJ P

January 10, 2010
J.J. Abrams brings his A-Game to directing this re-imaginging of the beloved "Star Trek" Universe of films and tv series'. With a story that is not anything new, it is told brilliantly in this film, which makes it so much better. The visuals are out of this world insane, and the casting choices are absolutely perfect. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto share some of the best on-screen chemistry in recent years, portraying the leads of Kirk and Spock. Eric Bana is also impressive as Nero, the villain, who may be one-dimentional, but his acting ability brings his character to new heights. This is a very well-directed and well-produced reboot and one of my personal favourite "Star Trek" films ever made. I loved it from start to finish and I just wanted more when the credits started. Highly recommended for Trekkies of the old generations and regular film fans alike.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

June 11, 2013
What? Yeah, this movie was kind of awesome. Except, really, Winona Ryder? Smallest part ever...
Christian C

April 13, 2013
Exciting film -- albeit with an odd twist at the end. The casting was perfect and the special effects were satisfying. Praiseworthy creativity in the script. Highly recommended.
Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

June 7, 2013
Action-packed and vastly entertaining, Star Trek is undeniably fun and surprisingly full of depth.
cosmo313
cosmo313

May 8, 2009
Providing plenty of easter eggs for the long-time fans, but also being accessible to casual fans and even complete outsiders, J.J. Abrams's reboot of Star Trek is a dazzling, entertaining, and colossal success.

Though time travel plots are nothing new to Trek, they decide to bring it back here, but, they put a twist on it by establishing that, somehow, an alternate timeline is created, which allows for this reboot and its subsequent sequels to pretty much do whatever they want without upsetting the established canon. That's a cool idea.

So yeah, it's a weird time travel revenge plot that the fledgling Enterprise crew get involved with, but it's still a lot of fun. I actually really like that they decided to reboot things, and give us a fresh glimpse into how the gang came to be.

The film is really well cast, and the principal performers do a great job filling some very large shoes. The only casting choice that sticks out to me in a kinda bad way is Eric Bana as the main antagonist Nero. Actually, Nero is my biggest problem with the film, mostly because he's not as interesting of a villain as he could be. Apparently the tie-in comics did a great job creating his character and motivations, so its a shame that the same can't be said for here. Bana is okay, but he really doesn't seem all that compelling or memorable.

So yeah, the villain aside, this is an amazingly solid and entertaining film. The easter eggs and fan service are awesome too, especially the way they worked Nimoy into things.

The film's score, cinematography, and effects are all top notch, the pacing is brisk but still allows for some depth and development, and the action is pretty thrilling too.

I really loved it when I first saw it, but I've kinda mellowed on my feelings for it, thus I'm downgrading the rating by a half-star. It's still a strong film, but time has revealed that it's got more flaws than I picked up on initially. Still though, give it a shot.
Everett J

May 17, 2013
When this movie came out I had not seen a single "Star Trek" movie or tv episode. All I knew, was the trailers looked cool even though "Trek" had never interested me at all before. From a pure non-trek fan, I found this movie to be awesome. I loved the story, the effects, and the acting was superb. This had enough humor to stay light, but it was never too light to lose sight of the tension and drama. The last 10 years have been big on reboots and remakes, and this is one of, if not, the best of them all. It took something that when I was younger I considered boring, and made it enthralling, interesting, and very entertaining. I know some big trekkies that really liked it, but had a lot of hang ups on some issues. But then again all reboots will have that. If you haven't watched this or any "Trek" movies, IMO, this is a great jumping off point. It made me want to go back and watch some of the older movies, and excited for the future films. Great movie, worth a watch or a revisit.
Sanjay R

May 15, 2013
I'm no Trekky, in fact I'm not a huge fan of action/sci-fi films, but i really enjoyed this one. It is funny, action-packed, and has a very interesting plot. I enjoyed everyone's performances and Abrams does a great job directing. There are some holes and hiccups that hold this film back a little, but they are nothing I couldn't look past.
Eugene B

May 13, 2013
J.J. Abrams' new vision of the futuristic galactic adventure is groundbreaking and a exciting new take. Star Trek's visual effects are what put this film's speed into hyperspace. Fast-paced action-packed and a great ensemble brings this reboot installment to higher places. 5/5
garyX
garyX

December 6, 2008
The classic 60s TV series gets a big budget re-boot and sees the original crew of the starship Enterprise come together for the first time. I was actually looking forward to this film as I grew up with Shatner and co and thought the time was right, especially considering the success of the BBCs recent re-boot of the British equivalent, Doctor Who. In fact a few years previously, Doctor Who went through a similar process starring Paul McGann, but this project was in retrospect a total misfire; although McGann made a perfectly adequate Doctor, the whole approach was wrong. Instead of trying to capture the essence of the show, it uneasily combined a load of hardcore fan-pleasing yet irrelevant continuity and dumbed down kiddie-pleasing action and special effects and it just didn't work. Star Trek makes EXACTLY the same mistakes. The first half is a constant stream of in jokes and references to the original series that just seems like an hour long fan-wank and the comedy is far too broad, giving it the feel of a Saturday morning cartoon or The Munsters in space. It 's not all bad news, however. The spectacular opening sequence "feels" like Star Trek and Abrams' breathless pacing and some flashy production design means that it's impossible to get bored. Zachary Quinto also makes a fine Spock and provides all of the best moments, Karl Urban makes a surprisingly good McCoy and If only the cast of characters were a little more consistent (Chekov and Simon Pegg's Scottie with his painfully unfunny sidekick being the low points) and the humour more restrained it could have been very, very good. There is definitely potential here, but the reboot needs a shift in pitch to begin to challenge First Contact for the Trek crown.
Jason R

July 21, 2011
Probably my favorite movie of 2009, couldn't help but remind me of The Fifth Element -- which, of course, is probably in my top 3.

Gotta love a movie that knows that it's a Sci-Fi action movie and boldly go(es) for it (see what I did there...?). Infinitely re-watchable and with characters you can't wait to see in a sequel, the 24th century has finally made its mark on the 21st century.

As much as I loved this movie, I couldn't compete with my mother -- an old school trekkie who saw it 6 times in theaters. Yeah, she's real serious about Spock.
Joshua W

August 7, 2012
As some who's not a Star Trek... i really loved this movie. It was action packed and interesting from beginning to end!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

November 16, 2007
Stunningly good! When I first heard this movie was in the making, and that J.J. Abrams was the guy helming it, I had a feeling it'd be something beyond the average. The trailer alone gave me goosebumps and the movie, despite all my fears, did live up to the promise.

Not only is it an awesome, grand and in many ways fantastic sci-fi film, but it's given Star Trek a new face, and reinvented the whole franchise into something more modern and exhilarating. And it couldn't have come at a better time. Because after the soulless Star Trek: Enterprise series, along with the highly disappointing Insurrection and Nemesis flop, this is just what we fans needed.

Many trekkies (at least all the hardcore purist ones) are likely to complain about the changes in design and what not, and that it doesn't stay 100% true to the original series, but personally I couldn't care less. Because what J.J. and his crew has done here, is given Star Trek a good name again.

Sure, it may lack some of the philosophical and deep-thinking qualities that the franchise is known for, but it compensates for that by being incredibly exciting and well-directed instead. I for one loved every second of it and can see myself watching it many times over in the not-too-distant future. An amazing movie altogether, that I hope will live long and prosper for a long time to come.
Brian D

April 28, 2008
superb movie loads of action best one yet...
Albert K

February 22, 2011
J.J Abrams takes the helms of the Star Trek saga and delivers it Hollywood-style. I am absolutely amazed that "Star Trek" received such high praise because unfortunately, I was not entertained. I like J.J. Abrams; I think he's a great director with a natural knack to deliver narratives in a very entertaining fashion. The CGI was top-notch and the performances were all solid. Unfortunately, the movie's charm stems from cringe-worthy humor and cliches (particularly the bar scene annoyed me the most). It started reminding me of a cartoon show called "Animaniacs". There were too many slapstick scenes within "Star Trek" that have been done in other past movies hundreds of times and its been more effective in other films. I definitely could see why Trekkie fans would enjoy this movie to death.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

September 23, 2008
Like a lot of people, I was less than interested when I first heard about a reboot of the Star Trek film series. Images and footage kept cropping up that generated a little more interest, but I just couldn't get fully behind it because it was a reboot. Fortunately, the film turned out to be one of the most enjoyable and well-made summer blockbusters to come along in a quite a while. Star Trek is not technically a Star Trek-type film, in the sense that the focus is less on the science fiction and more on the characters, story and action. It's as if Indiana Jones and Star Trek got together and had a baby. Star Trek fans are really down on this movie because of that I think. However, if you can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is, which is a fantastic action/adventure movie with some great performances, lighting, storytelling, cinematography, and even great special effects, then you will enjoy it. Personally, I love it, and I keep revisiting it. Very recommended.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 19, 2011
Christopher Pike: You know your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives. Including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better.

"The future begins."

The first time I watched Star Trek two years ago was my first taste of the Star Trek franchise. I had never seen the show or any of the old movies that followed it. Since then I have watched most of the old movies and a handful of episodes, but have never gotten to into the original series. But just visiting the origins for this Star Trek made me like it so much more. The first time I watched it I really enjoyed it, but I didn't know any of the characters and how they relate to each other. My second viewing of Star Trek was even more fun then the first. It's one of the better Science Fiction movies of the last decade.

What really leaps out at me while watching this is that you don't have to be a fanboy to appreciate it. Like Nolan's Batman , if this is the first of the franchise that you have seen you are still likely to enjoy it. J.J. Abrams is able to appeal to everyone with this. He makes it enjoyable for the Star Trek noob, while clearly not offending any of the fanboys who have seen every episode and movie twenty times. This may seem like no big deal, but it has to be hard to do.

Star Trek looks and sounds great. The special effects are big, but not overblown to the point where it cancels out everything else that is going on. The film features a great cast including Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Leonard Nimoy, Simon Pegg, Bruce Greenwood, Anton Yelchin, and the sexy Zoe Saldana. There's also smaller performances from Eric Bana and Winona Ryder.

With of all that put together the film is pretty epic. It's exciting, fun, funny, and occasionally heartfelt like no other Star Trek film has been. There is a great balance between dialogue and action. It never relies too much on the action, but also never provides too much downtime for some viewers to get bored in.

There's always going to be those people who refuse to watch a movie with the name Star Trek in the title. It has that connotation of being only for nerds and losers. I have friends that refuse to watch it no matter how many people tell them how great it is. All I have to say to those people are that they are missing out on quite a film.

J.J. Abrams did an amazing job bringing Star Trek to a new generation and I can't wait until we see a sequel. Let's just hope it is half as good as this one was.

Spock Prime: Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone before.
Raymond W

January 26, 2012
Seeing the older Star Trek movies before this may be a good idea, but it's not necessary, as this newer version covers most of it all, but I found myself confused a tiny bit only because I had never seen the originals before I saw this one. This newer one is funny, it's got a great story, fantastic visual effects, and lots of action. A great movie that will be fun for the family.
Colin M

August 4, 2008
Although some may praise its merits, 2009's "Star Trek" (11) is anything but the Star Trek of the 1960s. Long gone is the intellectualism, sci-fi-ness, and amazing characterization of the legendary 1960s series and its 70s/80s films, and in its place are pretty boys, action, and dull characters, with the exception of the much welcomed and anticipated return of Leonard Nimoy as the aged version of Spock, reprising his 40+ year role. His storyline, and that of his younger self, portrayed by Zachary Quinto, is quite interesting and provides the small amount of intellectuality and familiarity in the film. However, the new Kirk's zero-to nothing resemblance in both speech, actions, and appearance to Shatner, the terrible new Bones, and the romantic tendencies of Quinto's Spock make me "yuck" and wonder why such a landmark tale had to be "modernized" in this way. However, I give it 3 stars because as a standalone film it IS entertaining, and it does have Nimoy and Vulcans aplenty in it along with the saving grace of having an in film explanation that the new reality is but an alternate universe created by the events in the main storyline of old. Star Trek will always be Star Trek from the 1960s and viewers better get around to watching Star Trek TOS on Blu Ray or DVD and realizing how much better its original incarnation truly was in comparison.