—— The Identical Sep 05

Stark Raving Mad Reviews

garyX
garyX

March 13, 2007
Endless fast cuts complete with whooshy sound effects, thumping techno bass lines, ugly on-screen graphics, garish colour filters, and *cringe* a hero who talks directly to camera (Michael Caine is STILL the only actor to EVER get away with that...) Every tacky, irritating and superficial MTV affectation is on display here, in an unbelievably lame attempt to make an american rip-off of a Guy Ritchie heist movie. The result is more like a bad sit-com complete with wacky gangsters and S&M transvestites. Not an original idea in sight.
Fascade F

November 21, 2011
Just insane...crazy and insane in so many ways that the heist seemed to be the best part of the whole movie! Not worth my time reviewing like it wasn't worth my time watching...period. Oh...the stars? One for Lou Diamond Phillips...and one for Seann William Scott...both kept me fairly interested throughout the whole flick!
MichelleasaurusRex
January 26, 2008
It was really good. Some of it was funny. Cool movie. Has a good story to it. And those girls are big time whores,lol.
October 27, 2006
Good movie worth checking out. ONe of Seann Scott;s better roles, Dont go thinking its like american pie, but it has his unique blend of humor and the story isnt that bad either!!
filmlover1994
December 22, 2013
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
April 17, 2012
I'm assuming this movie is better when on speed. Couldn't make it past the 93rd shot of people dancing in the club, complete with dozens of split-second camera angles. (Roughly 22 minutes in.)
March 30, 2012
If you are having a bad day where nothing seems to be going right or a day when you feel as if the walls are closing in all around you. WATCH THIS MOVIE. You will feel better.

Stark Raving Mad is a hilarious, dark comedy that doesn't disappoint. Over the coarse of one night, the somewhat morally questionable protagonist Ben McGewan (Seann William Scott) leads his crew of outcasts on a highly profitable, highly risky bank robbery. As the night unfolds, complications arise. Can Ben and his accomplices manage to emerge unscathed. It is definitely worth watching to find out.

Parts of this movie may seem crude, chaotic, or stark raving mad at times, but who's life isn't.
MrP
June 5, 2011
2 hours I'll never get back. Guess that's what I get for closing my eyes and randomly choosing something on Netflix. Putrid dialogue, uninteresting characters, unmotivated acting and discombobulated editing all set to a techno soundtrack. Good for a laugh if you fast forward to any scene with a bright white spikey haired Lou Diamond Phillips.
moviebuff18cab
August 29, 2004
STARK RAVING MAD (2002)
roxie blues
September 7, 2004
[FONT=Tahoma]This was a good movie, and I didn't really expect it to be, especially when I saw Lou Diamond Phillips in the opening credits. The opening scene with the lion didn't make much sense at first, and actually seemed kind of retarded, but it made sense at the end. Seann William Scott's character, Ben, has a fascination with National Geographic, which I found really interesting. SWS did a good job with this role. He's done some goofy roles (American Pie, Dude, Where's My Car?) and he really pulls those off. He also pulls the serious roles off, which may be hard for some people to imagine.

Lou Diamond Phillips' character, Gregory, was actually kind of cool. He is a mob boss type and has white hair like that other guy (what's his name?).

Timm Sharp plays Rikki, the kind of sidekick guy who gets the short end of the stick every time it seems. I have never seen Sharp in anything else (he hasn't been in much) but I hope this movie gets him some more roles. I liked his portrayal of Rikki, maybe partly because I usually like those kinds of characters. He was likeable, and I'm surprised he made it through the movie alive, considering he was beaten to unconsciousness twice.

Monet Mazur plays Vanessa, and this character was totally annoying and pointless. She was like a semi-love interest, but who knows why? I can't imagine a guy wanting to be with a girl like that. It was funny at the end when she was shoved out of the van. :up:

Dave Foley plays Roy, a father and I believe they called it FBI Agent. He didn't convince me in either role, because he looked and seemed more like an overaged college student. Maybe the clothes were part of his "cover" but it just didn't work for me. I really couldn't see him busting in on the mob, or fathering a "hot" blonde slut.

There was also the guy who had seizures, and that was kind of funny. It's like Murphy's Law for bank robberies. All we need is for the safe cracking guy to go into epileptic seizures. Then the other guy gets drugged, so it's all up to the girl.

In the end, all works out well.[/FONT]
crckerjack
April 27, 2004
It is a rare thing for me to question why a straight-to-video release never saw life on the big screen. It is an even rarer thing for me to enjoy a performance from Sean William Scott (I have not yet seen The Rundown, which I hear he?s pretty good in). I had occasion to do both while watching Stark Raving Mad, a clever little heist caper that features the calmest, most understated performance of Scott?s career.

Forced to repay his dead brother?s debts to a local crime boss (Lou Diamond Phillips), Ben McGewen (Scott) plans one last heist before retiring. The plan is to stage a rave and, using it as cover, break into the bank next door to retrieve a priceless statue. However, Murphy?s Law intervenes and McGewen soon discovers his foolproof plan has a few unexpected loopholes. An uncooperative club owner, undercover FBI agents, the local Chinese mafia, and his own crew of bank robbers threaten to blow the plan out of the water and land Ben in the hot seat.

This is Scott?s most likeable character yet. Ben is cocky and sure of himself, but Scott abandons the obnoxious behavior his characters are famous for and basically plays straight man to the rest of the cast. Joining Scott is an ensemble of lesser-known, but very funny, actors including Timm Sharp as loveable loser, Rikki; Patrick Breen as a superstitious, epileptic safecracker; John B. Crye as a former concert pyrotechnician turned demolitions expert; Suzy Nakamura as the security systems expert; and, Dave Foley as an undercover FBI agent with more at stake than he realizes.

Director?s and screenwriters Drew Daywalt and David Schneider keep the action moving at a pretty brisk pace and do a nice job of juggling multiple storylines and tying it all together in the end.

Recently released on DVD, Stark Raving Mad is presented in 1.85:1widescreen and 5.1 Dolby Digital or 2.0 DD Surround. Bonus features include optional commentary, a brief, and boring, behind the scenes featurette, storyboards, and a photo gallery.

Stark Raving Mad is a surprisingly good film and deserves a broader audience than its STV status will probably allow.
blairsmovies
January 31, 2004
Not bad it had a few laughs. The rave scenes brought back a few memories. Funny to see Mr Kids in the Hall!