Movies Like Starship Troopers 3: Marauder

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder Reviews

John M

September 11, 2008
This movie was so corny i enjoyed it. I have no idea what the point of it was if there was a point. But they did get in the random nude scene like the first one!!
Anthony L

November 20, 2013
The satire is back, thank goodness for that. War, leadership and religion are timely targets this time round although it's not always clear what they are trying to say with it. The Marauder business is a bit pointless but the political hangings and the Peace terrorists are a welcome return to its Verhoevenian roots. Would you like to know more?
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 13, 2012
Third entry in the Starship Trooper franchise is an improvement over the second film, but it's still a mediocre sci-fi horror offering. Casper Van Dien returns in the role he played in the first film. Though the film still has a straight to DVD feel to it, and it does have some good moments, the film isn't good. The film is mildly amusing, but it lacks the substance that made the first Starship Troopers film such a blast. What we have here is a B-movie cheese fest. The film almost succeeds at being a good sequel to Vehoeven's classic. However due to script limitations, this film suffers. Like I previously stated, this film is an improvement over the second film, but it still has plenty of things that don't fit. This third entry has a good first half, but by the second half of the film, the film falls apart. Hints of a good story, are awash by the fact that the film has religious overtone, which really makes this promising sequel fall flat. The first half of the film is interesting, but the filmmakers don't know how to deliver a good second half. The second half has a lot of religious subtext that may turn you off the film. The second half of the film is what brings this film down. The acting is decent for this type of film, but is never anything great. Expect B movie level acting,. and you won't be disappointed. This film could have been a fine third entry in this series. The film is mediocre and it never succeeds at being a good film. Such a shame because the filmmakers had a good idea for this one.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

July 16, 2008
Lame, corny, woodenly acted...do I need to say more? This straight-to-DVD movie is exactly the reason why I usually hate sequels. Because while the first film was sci-fi at its very best, this one wasn't even decent enough to earn a place in its shadow. So I guess it shouldn't come as a big surprise when I say that I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. That is, unless you happen to like poorly written sci-fi flicks with crappy special effects and B-grade actors. In fact, it's so bad that it even ended up on my worst movies of all-time list, next to favourite hate objects like "Battlefield Earth" and "Epic Movie".
Drake T

May 25, 2011
Barely watchable, probably due to budget constraints and an attempt to embrace the "B-movie" genre that the first film mistakenly stepped into.

It has solid plot ideas and carries the style of the first movie but where the first film succeeded was the intimate point of view of "Rico's adventure" and this film completely ignores that.

Instead we get a series of events crudely strewn together, cheesy bullshit elite-marauder suits fighting hordes of aliens in a battle royale of sub-par special effects and an entire cast of characters you care little to nothing about.
Alexander W

April 13, 2010
Wow, much improved since the sequal. Marauder is the third film in the Starship Troopers triology and for a guy like me I found it engaging, hella funny, and deep. I can explain quickly that Rico (Casper Van Dien) is back a lives through the whole thing, okay that was really obvious but it's nice to see the actor back playing the character, and the new development of Rico is pretty nice! Also you got every Starship Troopers cliche, and I really think the CGI has got worse but it seems they were trying to be creative with it as much as possible towards the end. The sub plots of religion, you think you would hate, but actually quite the opposite.

Anyway Enjoy the Film.
Dean !

October 30, 2009
A fairly decent 3rd installment better than the 2nd and not as good as the first. It has some of the cast of the original back and I think it was produced by Paul Verhoeven who directed the first. So you have the same over the top humour ads to sign up to the federation, lots of bugs, some gore, a group nude scene and big guns much like the first. Watch it if it's on TV and nothing else is on.
Aaron N

July 13, 2008
Johnny Rico: Can you walk soldier?
Pvt. Slug Skinner: Yes sir.
Johnny Rico: Good. Give us a hand. Pick up that arm and find out who it belongs to.
Pvt. Slug Skinner: Yes sir!

Before repeating how terrible this movie is, it is important to note that it maintains the tone of the first film in terms of being somewhat satirical and it does have the return of Johnny Rico. Now that that's out of the way, this movie is terrible.

Bull Brittles: He thinks God is a Bug?
Lola Beck: He's got religion. Their religion.
Holly Little: Bug religion?
Bull Brittles: That's crazy.
Holly Little: That's blasphemy!
Bull Brittles: What do we do now?
Holly Little: Maybe we should kill him.
Lola Beck: Why, because he's crazy? Or he believes in God like you?
Holly Little: It's the wrong God!
Phil H

July 18, 2008
This is actually pretty good, I highly recommend it. Gone is the tacky and bad effects ridden Starship Troopers 2, now we have a look thats back on par with the original Verhoeven version and it has Casper Van Dien (returning as now veteran Trooper Rico) aswell which adds alot more credibility and impact to the whole thing.
All the dark black satire is back and would make Verhoeven proud as its very good. The federation ponce around in there Nazi-like uniforms arresting people for speaking out against the federation and then hanging them haha
troopers are killed of in gruesome ways and basically drop like flies all over the shop yet the officers dont really care haha its all about the FEDERATION SOLDIER and getting the bugs. This is good stuff for a straight to DVD release, the effects are kinda computer gamey and the acting is hammy but it still looks nice, the bugs do their job well and look correct to the original and the communist style news reels swamp the film in an amusing way.
Its very alike the original and had it been handled abit better,alittle more backing and cash, It could maybe have been a proper cinema release, shame really.
Worth the watch people :)
puffchunk
puffchunk

January 11, 2009
Horrible acting, script, story, and special effects...all the makings of a great b movie, except nobody told the film makers. They pull it off as serious, which is the worst mistake a film like this can make, and it pretty much just blows.
These movies in general are kinda ridiculous. In the future, they have all this technology to fly across the solar system, yet they fight endless legions of giant killer insects on alien planets with...infantry holding machine guns?!? WTF. We don't even fight wars like that here hardly anymore. They would use star ships and do missile attacks, or have giant tanks with huge weapons. At the very least, give them ginormous guns that actually kill stuff, instead of a weapon that takes 5000 rounds of bullets to finally stop ONE bug. Anyways, in this one at the end the great novel idea is to have the soldiers in mechwarrior suits that finally get the job done. Good job, military scientists.
skactopus
skactopus

October 25, 2008
Edward Neumeier makes his directorial debut with this 3rd installment, and while he is no stranger to this series, as he was involved with the first 2 films in other ways, this one is nothing to brag about.The story isn't great, but it is decent enough. It makes this picture feel more like Starship Troopers again and this is where the 2nd film failed. The marketing ads make a huge comeback and while they are entertaining, they are also a little too comedic at times. It really takes the seriousness away from the rest of the movie. One of my bigger gripes about this film is the religious concept that they have going on. It is way too overblown and it becomes annoying at times. The "Marauder" concept, which is in the title if you didn't notice, isn't even a huge factor until the end. Even then it is a let down.The CG is crap, which is why the creature effects and hordes of bugs are really held to a minimum. I'm assuming this is due to the budget constraints.Of course, if there is no bugs, then there is no action. The beginning is classic "Starship Troopers", but the rest of the action is typical science fiction mumbo jumbo. It is a shame really, since there is so much potential with the "Marauder" part of this flick.It is nice to see Casper Van Dien reprise his role of Johnny Rico and Jolene Blalock, of Enterprise fame, and Amanda Donohoe are nice additions to the cast. At times it almost seems that the spotlight is more on Jolene Blalock's character rather than Casper's one. Anyway, everyone else is forgettable.Starship Troopers 3: Marauder is a nice throwback to the first film, but it isn't that much better, if any, than the second installment. Feel free to leave this one on the shelf, unless you like Jolene Blalock or you are just a huge fan of Starship Troopers that you can't live without seeing this one.
thefog1331
thefog1331

August 13, 2008
It has FX standard for a Sci-Fi channel movie, a blatant comparison to the war in Iraq and less than stellar acting yet against all better judgment I still liked this movie.
It probably has alot to do with the fact I loved the first, liked the second and think Marnette Patterson is really hot so don't attack me if you see it and hate it.
deano
deano

January 27, 2008
Good to see the return of Casper Van Dien as the hero Johnny Rico since the original, this sci-fi action movie is very above average with the terrible new cast, action scenes and special effects that didn't excite me much. I really liked the original Starship Troopers the best.
Dann M

January 22, 2013
Starship Troopers 3: Marauder is a return to the B-movie camp of the original, but the talent's not there to pull it off. The Bug War continues as Col. Johnny Rico is charged with a top secret mission to save a stranded crew stuck on a bug world. Casper Van Dien returns and is joined by Jolene Blalock, but their performances are uneven and aren't able to pull off the same cheesiness that made the original so fun. Additionally, the special effects are atrociously bad and drag the whole film down. While nothing is done particularly well in Starship Troopers 3: Marauder, it's still able to provide some interesting satire that's mildly entertaining at times.
Todd S

October 19, 2009
Johnny Rico (Casper Van Dien) is back in part 3 of the Starship Troopers saga! Following a horrible direct to video sequel, the franchise needed something in order to get people to start watching again and Van Dien certainly does the trick. After our update as to what's going on in their world, we see a transport ship, carrying the Sky Marshall, crash on a seemingly deserted planet. It becomes Johnny Rico's job to mount a rescue and newcomer, Lola Beck's (Jolene Blalock), to keep the Marshall safe. Beck was a major character in the original comics, but was never introduced into the film series until now. Essentially, she is the ultimate bad ass, and makes this movie worth seeing. The story wasn't bad, Van Dien wasn't much more than an extended cameo, in order to get viewers, but it was Jolene Blalock as Lola Beck that makes this movie worth seeing she really was fantastic. It's certainly not the original, but it's much better than the second one. If you're a fan of the series, you won't be disappointed.
brandonklaus2
brandonklaus2

September 9, 2008
It's such a disaster in so many respects but they figured out a way to get the pointless nudity in, which I appreciate greatly.
Marcus W

August 30, 2008
Even though it's clearly lacking in budget and doesn't have Verhoeven's brilliant direction, this is still a worthy addition to the canon. It continues the great satirical media coverage that the first did and Van Dien returns as Rico, but what the hell is with the ending where everybody turns religious? That was actually really scary and started to remind me of those Christian TV channels. Apart from and up until then it was good.
DrLappos
DrLappos

October 10, 2008
Nowhere near as good as the first but one thousand times better than the second...........bugs have gone all CGI...Shame.
chadroesti
chadroesti

September 25, 2008
All I can say is it is better than Starship Troopers II (which sucked yam bag). But that is not saying much. Peach bought the whole set even though I told him they sucked...Douche.
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

August 7, 2008
What a disappointment. I LOVE the original Starship Troopers. I love the whole WWII attitude set in a sci-fi movie. I love its gung-ho attitude, the amazing visual effects, and the whole over-the-top nature of the whole thing. The direct-to-video sequel "Hero Of The Federation" was a darker, creepy haunted house movie that still delivered on the action, gore, and gratuitous female nudity. The new dtv sequel "Marauder" delivers only on the gore and nudity. Gone is the fun of the first, or the atmosphere of the second. Every line of dialouge is stilted and woodenly delivered. The visual effects, except for a couple of shots, are not even comparable to a Playstation game, and worst of all...the best performance in the movie is from Casper Van Dien, who is in the movie far less than you'd expect. The story is, believe it or not, very heavy on religion. Human religion, and bug religion. Yep. It tries to be deep, but comes of laughingly bad. Cute non-actress Marnette Patterson is at the center of the whole religious quagmire, and while she's good to look at, she's hard to listen to. Jolene Blalock doesn't fare much better. Her character starts out as a tough starship captain, and is reduced to a crying mess who must become a "believer". Worst of all is Stephen Hogan as a singing Federation Sky Marshall who becomes the movies biggest religious nut. The guy should be arrested for overacting. The movie builds up to the introduction of the "Marauder" weapon, but it's used for about 2 minutes in the movie, and never really does much. The poor script really surprises me because it was written by Edward Neumeier who wrote the first two, and did a good job. This time he directs his own script, and perhaps that's the problem. If there had been a trained director helming this movie, he could possibly have made the script work, and coached his actors better. Direct to video movies, especially ones controlled by the people who created the franchise, can be extremely good (see the Tremors series), but here they fail miserably. It feels rushed, and looks like it was made for about $5. I'm sure there will be a fourth entry, and I'm sure I'll see it. But hopefully next time it's the bugs that get burned instead of the viewer.