State and Main Reviews

½ October 24, 2008
WORTHLESS. I'm slowly coming around to the fact that Mamet's stilted patois might work, but definitely not when he writes and directs. The actors pause and repeat without motivation, as if they were just following stage directions. Rebecca Pidgeon is TERRIBLE. She breathes no life into the whimsical lady love. But hey, she's banging the director so why would she need to? I also get the impression that Mamet didn't even do much research for this film. His representation of small-town America is a mish-mash of idyllic stereotypes.
DerekA101
½ May 26, 2008
This is a complete waste of time. A lame movie chalk full of many great actors. Did all these guys owe the director a favor??? I'm really not fond of movies about making a movie, especially when they're supposed to be "comedy" but with a some what serious tone. It was extremely tedious.

I just didn't get it... avoid this crap fest!!
September 9, 2007
David Mamet's most funny, and light-hearted work.
June 10, 2007
No one saw this movie. What a shame.
nuheart
½ December 26, 2006
I could rate this higher if Mamet had stayed with his original ending, rather than going for the standard "Mamet-bait-and-switch" trick.
October 22, 2012
Passable but disappointing considering that this is Mamet and he has a high wattage of acting power behind him. Snoozy and lethargic at times. Witty in others. Inconsistent.
August 18, 2010
A lot of the plot (with the exception of the sexual elements of course), would fit nicely into a Preston Struges satire from the 40s. That kind of zany energy and very on the nose commentary strangely works with Mamet's oddball comedic style and dialogue. Hoffman and Pidgeon are such an unlikely yet wonderful romantic pairing.
½ December 23, 2009
It was alright, but it was eriously in need of some fine tuning.
September 1, 2011
Starts off with lots of potential, but falls short in the last couple acts.
½ January 28, 2008
Good ensemble comedy.
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Brilliant!
½ July 5, 2006
one of the 10 worst movies EVER. Even if Julia Stiles begged me to see it again I dont think I could bring myself to do it.
January 18, 2012
Decent enough quirky comedy about a Hollywood shoot in a small town. The cast is good even if the plot and some of the jokes don't always feel quite right. But it is hard to find fault in a movie that tries, has such a great ensemble cast, and manages to be be funny (even if it isn't all the time). I would say it is only for the crowd that enjoys quirky comedies.
½ August 4, 2009
Someone as clever and groundbreaking as David Mamet certainly knows the horrors of making a commercial Hollywood film- the problem is that most of us know all about that thanks to the countless other movies on the subject. Still, Mamet's infamously original dialogue and a terrific cast (especially Alec Baldwin as the drunken, pampered star) make this rise above the overly familiar territory.
May 16, 2008
Good but not great look at how Hollywood turns a small town upside down. Very Mamet - funny if you like his style. Tedious if not.
March 2, 2007
I'd never actually heard of this movie and then suddenly had two people mention it at once. It turned out to be a completely delightful comedy. I laughed out loud a few times, but mostly just enjoyed the story. Great dialogue, great plot, great acting, great characters... definitely worth sitting down and spending an evening watching it!
February 24, 2007
This is one of the most creative and thoughtful comedies ever made, but is relatively unknown. David Mamet directs an all star cast, in this satirically true portrayal of the film industry as it collides with a small town. And I do mean collides. The comedy seems effortless as the actors aren't merely playing at being funny, they embody their wacky character counterparts, and those characters will have you crying with laughter. The wit of the dialogue in this comedy (Also written by Mamet) stands out above all and the comic timing is spot on, as anyone with a working knowledge of scriptwriting will tell you is a difficult feat indeed. A must see movie, especially for those who have some experience with the film industry.
January 20, 2007
ther r lots of movies i dont like and everyone like d this one. nobody didnt. i thought rencbcaa pgieon was anonyign :(
August 18, 2010