Movies Like The Statement

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Statement Reviews

Sophie B

October 22, 2011
I really liked the narrative behind this film, however I was slightly confused as to who I should be rooting for. Opening with (and following) Pierre Brossard we can see he is truly sorry for his actions. Is that just to calm his own nerves and make himself feel better? Maybe, but he still pained himself over what he has done which led me to believe we should be on his side and want him to escape. Certainly casting Michael Caine in this role does that. But at the end the filmmakers professed this film to the 7 Jews who were killed all those years ago, so why make their murderer so human and so compassionate? I also found it slightly slow at times when nothing to progress the narrative happened. This is a good film and whilst I won't be watching it for a long while it's something I'll definitely revisit. Thanks in part to Caine's brilliant performance!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 4, 2010
Cast: Michael Caine, Tilda Swinton, Charlotte Rampling, Alan Bates, Jeremy Northam, Ciarán Hinds, John Neville, Matt Craven, Edward Petherbridge

Director: Norman Jewison

Summary: The buried sins of the past almost always find a way to surface in the present, as Frenchman Pierre Brossard (Michael Caine) discovers in this drama directed by Norman Jewison. Pierre's quiet life in southern France is disrupted as he's haunted by his betrayals. During World War II, his Nazi sympathizing led to the deaths of 14 Jews. With a Nazi hunter (Tilda Swinton), the police and hired killers on his trail, it's his turn to be the hunted.

My Thoughts: "The movie grabbed me right from the start with it's brilliant opening, but unfortunately it doesn't keep with that brilliance the entire film. In about thirty minutes in, it gets quite boring. Not one of Caine's best performances, but a movie he did carry on his own. It's basically him going from church to church in hiding. Not very interesting, but the story is. I wish they would have elaborated on it more then just showing Caine's character on the run. Also, what happened to this film being of french characters, they all sounded pretty british to me. Just not well made."
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 24, 2009
Not one of michael caines best of films its a bit boring really just following him around with his life and it just was very exciting!
Pierluigi P

July 16, 2008
Michael Caine plays the only interesting part , but even he can't help the sinking feeling of this flat, slow, superficial, unsympathetic tv movie with big aspirations. Too bad to know also that this may be Norman Jewison's last movie.
garyX
garyX

May 23, 2007
I was initially hooked by this film, both by the great opening scene in which Michael Caine coldly disposes of a supposed jewish vigilante and it's promise of historical and political intrigue. Unfortunately it never quite lives up to expectation, the potential in the storyline never being realized. It merely scrapes the surface of the historical aspect of the story, and many of the supporting characters are wasted in superficially realized roles. The fact that the picture postcard scenery is the only thing remotely french about the whole affair did not help, most roles filled by brits with very british accents. But it's always good to see Caine playing these rare but always watchable unsympathetic characters, and I found myself wishing we saw more of him, and less of the dreary duo in pursuit. On the whole, a missed opportunity.
December 13, 2012
A good criminal-political suspense film with a wonderful cast and shining performance by Michael Caine, playing a French Nazi collaborator whose obsession with religion and absolution by priests doesn't really make the audience feel sorry for him, because he's not really sorry. The character is merely trying to get out of paying the ultimate penally for his crimes--damnation, but that doesn't stop him from committing further murder or really repenting. It's a fine line to play successfully for an actor, and Michael Caine plays it brilliantly. Again I disagree with many critics, because I found this film very intriguing.
3568 C.
August 29, 2012
Slow-paced and deliberate, Michael Caine's performance reminds us of how he gained his legendary status.
August 23, 2012
Wow... all the 'top critics' seemed to pan it. The times, Vichy France, issues of ideology and the war (of course) rather negate true moralizing about this singular subject but I thought it was well done and properly acted. Certainly not a rotten tomato.
March 5, 2012
Una gran interpretación de Michael Caine no basta para que esta película no sea una completa garcha. Lamentable última película del ya octogenario Norman Jewison (Violinista en el tejado, Jesucristo Superestrella).
July 23, 2011
Should have been à French spooken movie, has a vague plot.
moviebuff18cab
January 11, 2005
THE STATEMENT (2003)
singforsupper
June 6, 2010
This movie is based on a compelling story but it is very poorly directed. First off, the convention of setting a movie in France with French characters and having them speak with British accents to make the movie seem "foreign" is outdated. It never really worked, but it did have commercial benefit in the mid to late 20th century. Today, with indie and Foreign film moving into the mainstream, it is almost laughable. This movie would have done better commercially and artistically if it had been in French with subtitles. Secondly, the director has created caricatures for the roles of the female judge, the detectives, priests and the rotund local politician. Michael Cain rises above this in spite of a vacuous mind of the director. This is a good example how dumbing down a movie for the masses doesn't always make for commercial success. Sometimes you just ruin the entire film.
samurai2347
January 28, 2006
[color=#000000][b][i]Thumbsucker[/i][/b] was a good film about growing up and learning about life. The cast was really good and I enjoyed the film. Lou Pucci who I had never seen before did a great job. It was very interesting to learn that the author of the book that the movie is based on really did suck his thumb at age 17. I would have rated this higher if it had held more meaning for me personally. I did love the different snippets of thoughts that the movie brought to my mind ? the biggest one that really went home here was the medication of our children. It is something that is used way too much because it is easy to do. Overall, it is an interesting movie to watch and think about. [/color]

[color=#000000]I had high hopes for [b][i]The Statement[/i][/b] (Michael Caine and Tilda Swinton!) It just did not come close to what I thought it could/should have been. My biggest problem with the film was its ending. The movie ended with a whimper. It had been building, and building suspense and momentum and then just got doused. Other then that, it was an intriguing look at why someone would chose to aid the Nazis and commit war crimes. It did a good job on those points and making one look at the other side.[/color]

[color=#000000]Both these films had [b]Tilda Swinton[/b]. She has been a favorite actress of mine for some time. Not sure why, but I always enjoy her performances and her spin on her characters (especially some of the more small and out-there characters - Gabriel in [i]Constantine[/i]). The same is true here. She was a very interesting Mother figure in [i][b]Thumbsucker[/b][/i] and I could see her completely as the part, but it was nothing compared to her part or role in [b][i]The Deep End[/i][/b]. I think about that film every time I see Ms. Swinton somewhere.[/color]
raphaelaponte
January 20, 2006
[color=black][font=Tahoma]Can you say superficial stereotype? Is this movie about justice or a bipolar old man? I was reluctant to rent this movie, but still decided to give it a chance... mistake. Instead of treating the topic of justice intelligently and with respect for the 7 Jewish men that were murdered by the Nazi's with the cooperation of French officials, Jewison (director) creates another smear campaign against the Catholic Church. [/font][/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]In terms of believable characters, there are two; the judge and the military officer in charge of the "newly opened case". As for Mr. Brossard (Caine), the one guilty of the crime, his bipolar personality hardly fits the story, in addition to being a blatant injustice to the actual victims this movie accomplishes to disrespect. [/font][/color][color=black][font=Tahoma]If you rent this movie, make sure to rent another one with it, so you'll have something to watch once you decide to switch it off.[/font][/color]
cineador
August 18, 2005
La Sentencia es una película de intriga, un thriller, que tiene de fondo un tema espinoso. Pero la verdad es que ese tema es casi una excusa, ya que el film se habría desarrollado igual fuera cual fuese el marco.

En este caso, la historia trata sobre un colaboracionista francés durante la ocupación nazi (Michael Caine), que ha vivido oculto y protegido durante 50 años. Sin embargo, una jueza (Tilda Swinton), y un coronel del ejército (Jeremy Northam), comenzarán una investigación para esclarecer su paradero y las personas que lo protegen.

De La Sentencia, poco se puede decir, salvo que es un thriller más que correcto, entretenido, que mantiene la intriga y la emoción en todo momento. Mantiene un buen ritmo, y no se complica sin necesidad en ningún momento.

Al resultado final ayudan mucho los actores, el genial Michael Caine, omnipresente de principio a fin, flanqueado por una muy buena Tilda Swinton y un actor británico por el que siento debilidad, Jeremy Northam.

Un saludo!
jazza923
September 25, 2004
OVERLONG, VERY SLOW AT TIMES BUT NICELY ACTED. PRETENTIOUSLY DIRECTED.
Nienna Sindanarie
September 7, 2004
[b]The Secret Lives of Dentists (2002)[/b]
Strange film. Hope Davis and Campbell Scott are two dentists who are married and also share a practice. And they have three young and very demanding daughters. At the start of the film, the wife, Dana, has been singing in the chorus of a community opera group. But rehearsals aren't the only thing creating a distance between her and the rest of the family. Her husband Dave sees her sharing an intimate moment with another man. Dave loves his wife and is a devoted father, and the one parent who the kids can depend on to take care of them. Although he loves Dana, he won't talk to her. The one time she tries to talk to him, he pretends to be asleep. He is too afraid of what she might say. There is an episode when the family's gone to spend a weekend at their cabin in the woods. Dave spends his time running one noisy gardening tool after another because he's afraid Dana plans to confess her affair and he doesn't want to give her a chance to talk. We know what Dave is thinking and fantaszing about because he has the personification of his subconscious to talk to. This figure is present in the form of a recent patient (Dennis Leary) who turned out to be the patient from hell. As long as Dave is going through this crisis, this guy is present. It's a bizarre bit of unreality that gets old after a while. The performances from Campbell Scott, Hope Davis and Dennis Leary are pretty good, but the children are really annoying. Watching it I became frustrated with both the husband and wife, and ultimately found the movie to be rather tedious, a little depressing and overall disappointing.

[b]The Statement (2003)[/b]
I can't blame the actors for this film not being more successful. The strong cast, headed by Michael Caine, does what it can with a script that seems to lack focus. Caine is an aging former Nazi collaborator who is still being hunted nearly fifty years after the war. The most interesting aspect to his flight for his life is the way he repeatedly turns to supporters in the Catholic church to help save his life while he can't seem to find the spiritual means to ablsolve the guilt that plagues him. This internal struggle is pushed to the background while the script moves back and forth between the police investigation of those pursuing Caine's character, his movements as he flees from one monastery to another, and a murky present-day government plot that also aims to do him in, though why and who benefits is never clear.