Steel Magnolias (1989)
Average Rating: 5.8/10
Reviews Counted: 21
Fresh: 14 | Rotten: 7
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 1
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 175,042
Six women come together in this hilarious and heartwarming story of life, love and loss in a small Louisiana parish. At the center of the group is Shelby Eatenton, newly married and joyfully pregnant, despite the fact that her diabetes could make childbirth life-threatening. Terrified and angry at the possibility of losing her only daughter, M'Lynn Eatenton looks to her four closest friends for strength and laughter as she battlesher deepest fear of death in order to join Shelby in celebrating
Jan 1, 1989 Wide
Jul 25, 2000
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Annelle Dupuy Desoto
Shelby Eatenton Latc...
Kevin J. O'Connor
Oscar J. Bienvenu Jr...
Gale J. Odom
James Shapkoff III
Nancy Beth Marmillio...
Janice Van Meter
Mayor Van Meter
Jack Jr. (1 year old...
Jack Jr. (3 years ol...
Mr. Latcherie Sr.
Mrs. Latcherie Sr.
Rodney Alan Fulton
Bobby Ray Ross
Betty J. Dove
Robert R. Morgan
Roger D. McCann
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Steel Magnolias is so immersed by the conviction of its story that in a way it becomes an extension of our own human experience.
chooses to leave the rearing of her moppet to Dylan McDermott...or Dermot Mulroney. Doesn't matter.
For all its violations of good taste and critical criteria, I laugh and cry every time, and I'll never let it go. So sue me.
Good character study ruined by cliche-driven plot
Each of the women talk like they're reading a bumper sticker.
Audience Reviews for Steel Magnolias
Movies Like Steel Magnolias
- Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: Was she prayin'?
- Truvy Jones: Yes.
- Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: Why.
- Truvy Jones: Because she got me, maybe she was prayin' for Marshall and Drew and Belle. My, she was prayin' for is because we were gossipin'. Maybe she was prayin' because the elastic shot in her pantyhose. Who knows that she prays at the drop of a hat these days.
- Truvy Jones: What are your colors, Shelby?
- Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: My colors are "blush" and "bashful"
- M'Lynn Eatenton: Her colors are "pink" and pink"
- Shelby Eatenton Latcherie: My colors are "blush" and "bashful", Mama!
- M'Lynn Eatenton: How precious is this weddin' gonna get, I ask you?
- Truvy Jones: Oh, sweetheart, don't. Please don't cry or I will too. I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.
- Ouiser Boudreaux: The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God.
- Truvy Jones: Oh, Sammy's so confused that he don't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt.
- Clairee Belcher: They were both high. They'd been smokin' everything but their shoes.
Discuss Steel Magnolias on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Steel Magnolias (DE)
- Steel Magnolias (UK)