Steelyard Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Steelyard Blues Reviews

½ January 30, 2012
A definite artifact of its time this terribly dated and pointless nonsense wastes many fine actors. A lot of the musical score is reminiscent of Smokey and the Bandit, hardly the spirit the movie seems to be going for although the film is so obtuse its hard to say what the actual point is. Jane's wig looks like a poodle climbed on her head and fell asleep, this could be her worst film.
½ September 1, 2015
The trailer opens with the somewhat prophetic admonition: "The world may not be ready for Steelyard Blues!".
Yeah. Nope, it wasn't. But for a small minority of film freaks it instantly made the short list of favorite caper flics.
Can't tell you how many times I've caught myself singing "They're Lettin' Me Drive Again" in the shower. Great soundtrack (Butterfield, Gravenites, Bloomfield and more), amazing cast. Just a goofy good time.
Hard to believe the project ever found a green light. But it was a time when the suits had no IDEA what was happening, but sure hoped to cash in on it with another Easy Rider.
Sorry, man. I'll go to my grave loving this little hijacking.
June 28, 2014
Someone criticising this film opined that it was reminiscent of Smokey and the bandit. This film came out 4 years before S&B! SYB is actually a pretty good film, yes a little dated but so many of the films which people compare it owe a great deal to the sheer reckless inventiveness and charismatic acting. Another criticism I note was that some fine actors were wasted; again, you have to remember that this was the first major screen opportunity for some of these guys, and only Jane Fonda and DS can be said to have achieved much before. For my own part, I have to confess, I fell about laughing. I took another look at it today and was surprised to see that there was a great deal of inventiveness in it, albeit, those of you who struggle with farce will struggle with this.
May 10, 2009
Interesting but there's nothing outstanding about the movie. The cast is good, especially the supporting players. The score can be a bit much at times.