Stevie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stevie Reviews

½ September 5, 2011
Well done. Interesting. You get a glimpse of southern Illinois that isn't surprising if you've spent any time there.
March 9, 2009
Steve James' only good work along with Hoop Dreams. I liked this a lot more the first time I saw it. It felt real. Upon a recent viewing I felt this was a pain to sit through. James gets his point across about halfway through the doc, but you're forced to sit through another 70 minutes of exploitation. And I have a hard time figuring out why he wanted to make this film. You never really find out his true feelings about Stevie. First he feels sorry for him, then he bashes him for his poor decisions, then he defends him. In the end I felt Stevie was a monster. Molesting children is inexcusable. I don't care how hard your life was growing up. It's still an interesting story though.
March 30, 2010
Heart wrenching and real, this documentary shows what on the surface appears to be simply an undereducated young man. As it unravels we begin to see more of the troubling details of his life. Very well done documentary.
April 23, 2009
It's strange that Steve James descended on Stevie Fielding's life just as it started to go south. Or did it go south as a result of James? Such questions either plague or enrich this piece as James, a skilled documentarian, makes himself look like a fool as a social actor, showing himself buying his subject an expensive gift just before telling him off about his life. Not exactly the type of movie you go out of your way to see, but definitely one that's difficult to take your eyes off.
½ June 30, 2008
What is the opposite of uplifting? This is that. From the same director as Hoop Dreams, who goes back to check on his now adult former "little brother" (in the Big Brother sense) whose life is tattered and who is himself a pitiful trainwreck. A solid raw documentary.
September 10, 2007
When Steve James, director of docs like Hoop Dreams, was in college he was a Big Brother to a local boy with some difficulties in his life. Having relocated after college, the filmmaker decided to visit his former home and check in on this boy 10 years later. This can be hard to watch at times, but somehow I couldn't turn away from it.
½ June 5, 2007
Heart-warming and great. I know the director, and his son. He really put alot of brilliant messages into this film
May 27, 2007
Stevie: stevie is one of the best documentarys I have seen in the past five years,This film came out in 2002, I found it in video store in 2003, Stevie will make you think,It will brake you heart,It will make you say "why america is so fucked up?",If you are reading this blog you need to go rent the film,You need to tell other people about this documentary,See it!, This is a once in a lifetime film.
½ February 27, 2007
haunting doumentary about a boy who doesn't quite understand what crime he committed, from dedicated film makers ensuring the truth is told. The outcome of Stevie's life jars us -- for years.
January 20, 2007
What a crazy cast of characters, even though I saw this Doc a while ago it still gives me the creeps.
December 11, 2006
Rigid, well made documentary thats tugs at your heart and makes you feel bad for a man who people who havent seen the film say "you are crazy" for doing so. James is a masterful documentary filmaker which he proved with Hoop Dreams and re proves here with Stevie which is even better than Hoop Dreams.
July 16, 2006
There's nothing particularily special about this film. It's quite simple, in fact. A man who once was a "Big Brother" to a troubled boy returns years later to reunite with him, Stevie, and to see what had become of him. Stevie has grown up hard and tries to wear a skin of leather but there are times in the film where you can see right through to the little boy that never got help. Seeing Stevie as a person is what makes this film important but it's the mark left on the filmmaker that gives this movie weight after its ended.
July 25, 2004
[b]A documentary directed by[/b] Steve James

Ah yes. The documentary. Over the last 2 or 3 years they have grown and grown and grown on me. Especially after seeing "Bowling For Columbine". Recently, after hearing that Steve James was releasing a new documentary, I immediately thought about the first documentary I ever saw. It was quite while ago. Tony Marshall mentioned this movie called "Hoop Dreams". He said it was like the best thing in history. When I saw it back then I was probably 13 or 14 years old, and I loved it. But after watching it again not too long ago I realized how great that documentary is. When we hear discussions by critics or just random people about the best documentaries of all time we never catch it mentioned, aside from Roger Ebert. I respected the movie a lot more. I respected the effort by James a lot more. And most of all I appreciated it a lot more. I urge everyone to see it.

So I was definitely surprised to hear that Steve James had a new documentary to be released. It's called "Stevie", and this time its central focus is partly on James himself. Around the mid '80s James became a part of the Big Brother foundation and became friends with Stevie Fielding, child who never had any friends. He was abandoned by his father before he could know him. He was with a mother who didn't want him, beating him daily. And he was sent to numerous foster homes and juvenile centers.
The story starts off when Stevie is 23 years old and hasn't seen Steve for 10 years.

The nearly 2 and a half hour documentary tells the frightening story of a confused boy who grows into a destructive and nearly unsaveable man. His Big Brother comes back into his life (Steve James) a decade later to reconcile. But can a man who has been denied and beaten and mistreated his entire life ever begin to be cured? It's as good as most documentaries I've seen, and James proves that he has beent he most underrated non-fiction filmmaker of the last 10 years. His effort on this project is endless and comes close to matching that of "Hoop Dreams".

"Stevie" is a masterpiece.

Not Rated - 2 hours, 20 minutes (review written on 5/8/2003)
March 30, 2004
I cut class today. I think I'm getting sick, so its good I missed class today instead of later on in the week when I'll be really sick.
I saw two great movies recently, Stevie and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Its refreshing to see two good movies so close together. Too bad LOEG had to break the streak.
I've been listening to alot of Industrial lately. I'm pretty sure "Jesus Built my Hotrod" is one of the best songs ever.
March 14, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.