—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Still of the Night Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
A so-so thriller, it's pretty predictable and all, and the ending is confusing.
Anthony V

June 30, 2008
Someone watched a whole lot of Hitchcock before they made this.
The80sExpert
June 24, 2010
A so-so movie, I found it hard to watch because of the stupid digital TV, it kept loosing the signal. Other than that, I didn't see anything special about this movie at all. It's just another mystery movie, and I'm not even sure I understood the ending.
Ikallicrates
March 6, 2012
A lot of directors have taken a shot at making a movie in the Hitchcock style. No one has succeeded yet, but few have failed so disastrously as Robert Benton did with this turkey.

?Still of the Night? was doomed from the start because its two leads, Scheider and Streep, are both miscast.

Scheider is persuasive in action films, where he plays someone who is not just a dumb killing machine, but someone actually capable of a thought or two; but as a psychiatrist, he is in way over his head.

Hitchcock?s leading ladies were always great beauties. Streep is a great actress, but she is not a great beauty. Watching her impersonate a Hitchcock beauty is embarrassing. I kept thinking,'She could open beer cans with that sharp nose'. I?ve never thought in any of her other films, because in Streep's other films I was paying more attention to her acting than her face.

The suspense should have come from the fact that the more Scheider is attracted to Steep, the more he suspects she is the killer. But there is no chemistry between Streep and Scheider. He never seems attracted to her. I assumed he was only pretending to be in love with her, in order to trap her. The ending therefore came as a surprise to me.
September 20, 2011
Meryl was gorgeous; Roy was wooden; plot was hokum; ending was silly; and herrings were red. (And the music!!?? Those swelling strings when they kissed for the first time! Thought that went out in the 40s.)
ANG3L
September 2, 2010
The Dream Shots Of the Little Girl Are Wiked ... I Liked This One ... A Bit Of A Surprise :o
son of bloody sam
January 17, 2010
follows a lot of cheep noir cliches, and also a lot of cheap freud's psychoanalysis. worth seeing only for the actors' performances.
Salatico
September 9, 2009
That's was a good suspense movie. And it was great to see the great actress Meryl Streep 27 years ago!!! She was so young, a kind of pretty and already acting so good!! A Manhattan psychiatrist( Roy Schroeder) got involved in a murder of one of his patient and he fell in love with the possible murder. he has to figure out what happened and he will be in a dangerous situation. Good to watch.

**************************************************
Muito bom filme de suspense. É bom ver a grande Meryl Streep 27 anos atrás e ver como ela já atuava muito bem. Um psichiatra de Manhattan se v6e envolvido numa trama criminal quando um dos seus pacientes é assassinado. Ele acaba se apaixonando por um dos suspeitos do assassinato e estará correndo perigo. Bom de ver tambem Roy Schroeder muito tempo atrás com uma atuação convincente. Bom de ver o filme.