Still of the Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Still of the Night Reviews

September 6, 2010
A so-so thriller, it's pretty predictable and all, and the ending is confusing.
½ June 30, 2008
Someone watched a whole lot of Hitchcock before they made this.
½ May 22, 2015
The talented leads are lost in this generic noir that goes nowhere and leaves more than a few????? left behind.
June 24, 2010
A so-so movie, I found it hard to watch because of the stupid digital TV, it kept loosing the signal. Other than that, I didn't see anything special about this movie at all. It's just another mystery movie, and I'm not even sure I understood the ending.
½ September 9, 2009
That's was a good suspense movie. And it was great to see the great actress Meryl Streep 27 years ago!!! She was so young, a kind of pretty and already acting so good!! A Manhattan psychiatrist( Roy Schroeder) got involved in a murder of one of his patient and he fell in love with the possible murder. he has to figure out what happened and he will be in a dangerous situation. Good to watch.

**************************************************
Muito bom filme de suspense. É bom ver a grande Meryl Streep 27 anos atrás e ver como ela já atuava muito bem. Um psichiatra de Manhattan se v6e envolvido numa trama criminal quando um dos seus pacientes é assassinado. Ele acaba se apaixonando por um dos suspeitos do assassinato e estará correndo perigo. Bom de ver tambem Roy Schroeder muito tempo atrás com uma atuação convincente. Bom de ver o filme.
½ August 16, 2015
Blame the recent (1980) death of the great Alfred Hitchcock or blame the success of "Hitchcokian" Thrillers like Road Games and Dressed To Kill, the early-mid 1980s saw a number of these films end up in the theaters and later on home video. They don't make thrillers like this anymore, with a slow buildup of suspense and a skillfully laid-out plot that challenges the viewer's imagination. That is a pity. The film has tons of Hitchcock elements, a dream sequence to be analyzed by psychiatrists, a "ice-cold" Hitchcock blonde (played by Meryl Streep), a distrust of the police, and references to Hitch's films ranging from Spellbound to The Birds (I suspect that Jessica Tandy was cast as Roy Scheider's mother because she had been in The Birds). Its also a nice, short film at 1 hour and 31 minutes. I picked the Blu-Ray as john Kenneth Muir had reviewed it favorably in his Horror Films Of The 1980s two-volume set, due to the skillful Thriller elements worthy of Hitchcock and due to the truly nightmarish dream sequence.
½ May 22, 2015
½ May 17, 2015
ok suspenser but with this cast-should be better
½ November 12, 2013
An odd neo-noir that succeeds when it exploits the strong Jungian undertones but mostly plods and struggles to find an identifiable character.
March 6, 2012
A lot of directors have taken a shot at making a movie in the Hitchcock style. No one has succeeded yet, but few have failed so disastrously as Robert Benton did with this turkey.

?Still of the Night? was doomed from the start because its two leads, Scheider and Streep, are both miscast.

Scheider is persuasive in action films, where he plays someone who is not just a dumb killing machine, but someone actually capable of a thought or two; but as a psychiatrist, he is in way over his head.

Hitchcock?s leading ladies were always great beauties. Streep is a great actress, but she is not a great beauty. Watching her impersonate a Hitchcock beauty is embarrassing. I kept thinking,'She could open beer cans with that sharp nose'. I?ve never thought in any of her other films, because in Streep's other films I was paying more attention to her acting than her face.

The suspense should have come from the fact that the more Scheider is attracted to Steep, the more he suspects she is the killer. But there is no chemistry between Streep and Scheider. He never seems attracted to her. I assumed he was only pretending to be in love with her, in order to trap her. The ending therefore came as a surprise to me.
September 20, 2011
Meryl was gorgeous; Roy was wooden; plot was hokum; ending was silly; and herrings were red. (And the music!!?? Those swelling strings when they kissed for the first time! Thought that went out in the 40s.)
July 23, 2011
Ganske så stilig og velspilt psykoligisk thriller. 80 talls godbit.
May 12, 2011
Not bad as a Hitchcock homage. "Homage", of course, being French for "rip off".
½ April 8, 2011
Boring Hitchcock-lite.
March 13, 2011
When Meryl 'Almighty' Streep was still a rookie who could barely act. Perhaps this film was made long long time ago, I find it kinda boring in narrative.
February 7, 2011
Quite an exciting story which builds up beautifully and the actors perform superbly to bring it to a good climax...good watch