—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Strange Brew Reviews

Graham J

November 20, 2011
Follow the idiot McKenzie brothers on this incredibly dumb journey, this is a stupid Canadian comedy masterpiece, hoser!
Lucas M

May 11, 2011
A memorable Hamlet adaptation. Great and silly.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I love Moranis, but I'm not a big fan of Thomas. Most of the time this movie was fun and really hilarious, but there are some stupid jokes thrown in that I didn't like, and it disappointed me because I really wanted to like this movie. Overall, though, it's enjoyable enough, but it could be better.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 6, 2009
There's not quite enough material here to fill a feature length film but Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis stretch it as far as possible.

*Inspired the short-lived "Strange Brew Diet" which primarily consisted of doughnuts and beer.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

June 27, 2010
While Cheech and Chong were smoking their way through southern California, Bob and Doug McKenzie were drinking it up in the Great White North. It's the same basic concept. Two apparent losers in a quest to get high/drunk at all costs and often oblivious to the serious goings on around them. But thankfully Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis left it at just one film and didn't wear these characters out like Cheech and Chong did.

The plot deals with Bob and Doug McKenzie having to get jobs at a brewery after their movie they made bombs at a theater. No sooner are these two are checking beer bottles for mice, then they find themselves involved in the kidnapping of a beer heiress orchestrated by a mad scientist looking to take over the world by selling drugged beer. The plot is beyond ludicrous, yet somehow everything holds together and the viewer is never lost by any of the developments. Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are more than hilarious as the McKenzie brothers, and the supporting cast is exceptional. Anyone can play dumb, but there is an art to making it funny. This film, even in its more ridiculous scenes, never seems to be taking things too far. Somehow we believe the world these characters live in could really exist. The special effects are cheesy, yet somehow better than this film probably deserves. And how in the world did they ever get Mel Blanc to do the voice of their father??? Much of the script is quotable in virtually any lively setting. Highly recommended.
Jason S

May 2, 2009
This is a funny flick but I think it's a little over rated. I'm glad there weren't any more. I think it just would have gotten worse.
Jon L

December 8, 2007
Very funny. Well done. A Canadian classic.
Daniel P

May 9, 2007
A well-thought out, ironic and self-referential comedy classic... that's loosely based on Hamlet!?! This was a wholly enjoyable film with the just the right balance of plot and humour, and really shows how many of today's comedies are in fact incredibly bad. Also, it makes me see Wayne's World in a whole new context - God bless the Second City.
Lafe F

August 13, 2007
I'm a huge SCTV fan, but always skipped through the Bob and Doug "Great White North" skits, as I found them always the same. Strange Brew had a story which got those two Hozers out of their studio set and onto a series a misadventures with a Beer Bottle plot to get rich, and a mad scientist. The scene where Bob gets filled up with beer was funny but unrealistic. It feels cheapo, but Strange Brew is a strange curiosity of the 80's. I can't say I enjoyed it too much.
nuheart
nuheart

January 5, 2007
Really not as funny as I remember it being when I was 12.
Michael G

November 20, 2006
Loved it when I was a kid.
Dann M

October 17, 2013
Written and directed by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas, Strange Brew puts a hilarious new spin on Shakespeare's immortal classic Hamlet. When Bob and Doug McKenzie attempt to scam free beer from Elsinore brewery they're given jobs at the plant, and are used as pawns in the power struggle for control of the company between Pam Elsinore and her usurping uncle. Moranis and Thomas give great performances as Bob and Doug McKenzie, and make for a hysterical and charismatic duo. Additionally, the comedy is especial well-written; featuring some clever sketches that are full of laughs. Incredibly funny, Strange Brew is a beauty comedy, eh.
Laura C

March 19, 2010
A Canadian cult classic. Falls into the "so bad it's good" category.
Written, directed and starring Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis. Steve De Jarnett also writes and stars in the film.
Curt C

February 16, 2006
Kind of a Canadian cult classic, but the laughs just aren't there.
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

November 6, 2008
In the realm of comedy duos, everyone knows Wayne & Garth, Jake & Elwood, and Cheech & Chong. But fewer are familiar with the MacKenzie brothers, Bob & Doug. The greatest thing to come out of SNL wannabe SCTV were the beer loving brothers from Canada, eh. Here's their starring vehicle, an irreverent spin on Hamlet, set in a brewery in the heart of Canada. One of the most quotable comedies ever, it's a non-stop gagfest as the brothers stumble unknowingly through a sinister plot by Brewmeister Smith (Max Von Sydow) to beer tainted with a mind controlling drug to the thirsty revellers at Oktoberfest. Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis not only reprise their roles from their SCTV skits, they also co-wrote and co-directed the movie. They are two of the most likeable characters you'll ever see. They may be clueless, but you'd never be able to convince them of that. Their love of all things Canadian, beer, back bacon, and Hockey, know no bounds, and they are put on full display. One of the best team ups to break out of the late night tv genres, one can only hope the planned animated series will be just as fun. One viewing and you'll be singing their signature them song for the rest of the day, as well as adopting a Canadian accent for no good reason. Take off, eh!
Lee K

July 25, 2008
Bob and Doug mckenzie! wow can get more canadiena then this. I loved the movie and still watch it every time i see it on the tube.
Sean S

January 15, 2007
Bob and Doug bring Canadianna to the world in this adaptation of Hamlet.
August 4, 2013
The "McKenzie Brothers" sketches served their purpose creating the most offensive Canadians on television to protest restrictions on "offensive Canadian stereotypes" on television. But it's not a sketch that's suitable for making a 90-minute movie. The humor ranges from the absurd to the absolutely grating. Turn off your brain if you're going to watch "Strange Brew."
bkco1213
September 22, 2012
6/30/07 - Strange Brew was not quite as funny as I had remembered - maybe it didn't age well (or maybe I haven't aged well!). There are some good stand up bits with a pretty cheesy storyline. There are quite a few funny parts though with lots of good lines (two bowls of split plea soup to go, eh?).
iamthethinman
March 24, 2011
I think the Mackenzie brothers are just as famous as the iconic SNL ones, so it is nice that they got a movie for themselves so early. I knew of the jokes and always jabbed at my Canadian friends in this way. Recently, a Canadian colleague remarked that I wasn't old enough to know the "hoser" joke origin, so I finally went back and watched this so that I knew that I was using it right.

This is actually very irreverent and witty at times, but just like the SNL ones they fade and bore in parts and don't have a real story narrative to hold it together. The first 10 minutes is about as funny as it gets, then the story kicks in and it all slows down.

Still, a few good moments and funny banter. But, if anything, you get a real sense of what these characters are and how a lot of these Canadian stereotypes became the jokes that regular US people quote. Plus, video games have evolved.