• Unrated, 1 hr. 24 min.

Struck by Lightning Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 18, 2012
I guess I was expecting the movie to be funny considering it listed as a comedy. Instead what I got was a quite dark and depressing film about a boy desperately wanting to escape his life. I couldn't find any of the characters likable. Especially the MC Carson. He is very cynical of everyone and quite closed off and a bit bratty when he doesn't get his way. I did like Rebel as Malerie. But the rest of the characters where dull and boring. The acting wasn't so great either. A decent movie but nothing worth seeing again.
m h

March 10, 2012
I really enjoyed this. I thought it was really funny but also poignant. I liked the message in their about staying true to yourself and how it's important to dream and have aspirations. Sure, Carson could kind of be a jerk sometimes but you could see why he was so sarcastic. I think it was his way of dealing with the crap in his life. His mom was pretty much an alcoholic, his dad left them and didn't seem like he wanted to be a part of his life. Not once, while he was April (hid fiancee who was 6 months pregnant) did he ever mention that he had a son. His grandma has Alzheimer's. She doesn't even seem to remember him most of the time. But even so, I dont think he was always a jerk. I really liked the scene with him and Claire (Sarah hyland) where he asks her why she thinks she'll never make it out of this town and do better for herself. And he talks about how in grade 2 she told everyone she wanted to be a ballerina, and he asks "What happened to that girl?". And as she responds that everyone laughed at her. He tells her "I never laughed". I think its sweet that he wanted her to do something that SHE wanted. The ending had me in tears. It was sad of course that he died and didn't go on to college and do the things he wanted, but he did inspire people while on earth and I thought that was powerful in a way. I also cried for his mom Cheryl (Alison Janney) when she finds out that he dies. The way she keeps calling him and hoping that its just some mistake. She wasn't perfect (far from it), but she did care for him.

All in all, I enjoyed this film and recommend it.
Sylvester K

December 25, 2012
A filmed filled with failed one-liners and bad acting and horrendous camera work. The film had so much potential with the star-studded cast, but the horrible script just didn't work, not with the stereotypical characters and forced added pop culture references. It's pretty much as if you are watching Glee, the only difference is the changes of actor. Rebel Wilson did shine as an awkward side kick of the protagonist. It had a good idea, if only someone else other than Colfer himself wrote the script, there might be a better product.
dbocek2011
September 19, 2013
Don't even waste your time with this. It was good for the first maybe 20 minutes & that is it. There is literally no substance to this film at all & no humanity to the characters. It is a cheap rip off of teen high school comedies with one sarcastic character thrown together to make money. It would have been more effective as a typical high school comedy not a dark comedy. The Carson character carries the film with little or no support from the cast. And he gets annoying after a while. Pitch Perfect was bad, in my view, but was a lot better than this. A direct to video thrown together to make a profit. Don't waste your $$$. Probably one of the worst films I have seen.
August 20, 2013
Smart people stuck in a stupid people world. There are some awesome quotes in this movie. Chris Colfer was humorous. Ultimately it could have been better, but it is what it is. I don't see it becoming a cult classic or anything but it was at least worth the watch for a few of the laughs.
July 8, 2013
A film that I am assuming was only made because "that kid from Glee" wrote a screenplay as it is amateurish on just about every level. While the filmmakers assembled a respectable cast for the production, these actors have little to do other than recite poorly scripted notes of apathy or snark. It is rather a waste of time and it won't enrich one's life after viewing it. I had problems with the film very early on when the film's main character who supposedly loves writing -- played by Chris Colfer himself -- misused bad and badly. The characters nor the film are overly smart. Skip this.
jcareb
June 22, 2013
This film made me tear up. But it was to over the top. I'd go into detail but not right now.
GRADE:B-
June 8, 2013
I don't know why all the critics are putting this movie down. I think that for Chris Colfer's first screenplay, this was marvelous! It had many funny moments and some interesting dialogue. Sure, the characters were all pretty cardboard-ish. But hey, it's a high school comedy! Don't think too hard, your brain will hurt.
May 24, 2013
I watched this movie with my mother. She didn't like it because there wasn't enough plot and, to quote her, "it never went anywhere." I, on the other hand, loved it because as a huge fan of Chris Colfer, I saw so much of him reflected in every aspect of it. I related to his character and saw the movie for what it is- a second chance at putting bullies in their place and proving to the world that you CAN be whatever it is you want most. I love the sarcasm and the wittiness and even the disappointing ending wasn't enough to sway me from loving this movie.
akline2
February 16, 2013
Watched and enjoyed very much. Well written, and acted. Nice to see a teen movie not directed at teen partying and sex and having to fit in. Watched in a group. We ranged in age from 13 to 41. We all got laughs, and tears from this movie. Sad to see bad reviews, most likely they are the ones who want the sex and binge drinking in the movie. This is how high school was for me. Chris Colfer hit the nail on the head!!
January 28, 2013
Making his screenwriting debut, Glee's Chris Colfer, 22, shows he's got an ear for sassy lines laced with heart, and he's not quite thinking in the box, which is promising. Struck By Lightning is hardly a homerun though. Colfer's character, Carson Phillips, dies in the very first scene, a victim of the titular action. What weighs the script and the film down is that Colfer gives himself pretty much all the best lines. Through flashbacks Carson is revealed to be too good for most everyone else, long for a career as a journalist and thumbs his nose at the usual high school stereotypes (jocks, cheerleaders, closet cases and the like) and their stupidity. It helps tremendously to have the inimitable Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect) on hand as Carson's loveably clueless best friend. Pity she's just filler, since the whole film basically works as a vanity project for Colfer. Not even director Brian Dannelly (Saved!) can get a first-rate cast, including a priceless Allison Janney as Carson's divorced, boozy mother, to transcend Carson's ego. You find yourself trying hard to root for and feel for Carson, but Colfer does most of that for you.
April 8, 2014
I can't even begin to say there is much in the way of anything redeeming about this movie. Chris Colfer's character, honest as he may be, is a horrible human being and you're glad he gets struck by lightning. I have no desire to like him or try to find anything human about him because he is a 17 year old bitter, jaded smart ass. I won't recommend this movie because of how horrible his performance is. Maybe he should just stick to slinging covers on Glee.
March 22, 2014
Another instance where Rebel Wilson should always use her Aussie-accent.
February 18, 2014
i liked it, fuck bitches
Allison F.
January 19, 2014
Was excited about the cast, but disappointed in the result. The writing fell flat. A bit too conceited in tone, perhaps?
January 13, 2014
Nice movie. That cheerleader girl has really big eyes. :))
January 7, 2014
What the heck did I just watch? So many good actors but aimless plot. The protagonist is very unlikable; it was hard to cheer him on. Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook, for example, managed to be a likeable character despite how he is.
December 15, 2013
for a young person to write a film that's very profound, good on Colfer for his debut film. the film was flawed, but he made some excellent points about how dreams aren't always fulfilled.
December 25, 2012
I don't care what anyone says, this movie was amazing. I can't even say anything else. I'm speechless.
ElmosLively
November 15, 2013
Good performances but weak direction of a light weight script make this less than entertaining. Chris Colfer needs to take some writing lessons as this seems like an overwrought made for TV movie. Of course it doesn't help that it stars a whole bunch of television actors in supporting roles. Oh, the upside is that it features Alison Janney and Rebel Wilson, who are always great.