Stuart Saves His Family - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stuart Saves His Family Reviews

½ November 21, 2007
I liked the Stuart Skit on Saturday Night Live; it's a funny premise of self-help addiction. The movie wasn't too bad, but the characters got a bit annoying.
½ February 5, 2007
Wow . . . who woulda thunk it? Stuart Smalley is a memorable character from Al Franken's SNL days. I'm not sure I actually mean "memorable" in a good way here, but Smalley is not easliy forgotten. The SNL episode with Michael Jordan leaps to mind. Here's an impromptu scale for movies that deal with addiction: Ray Milland in Lost Weekend on the heavy end, Jeff Bridges in Big Lebowski on the light end. Franken manages to deal with the problem of addiction in a way that's tipped to the Milland end: very serious, almost too serious, for what would appear to be a comedy. Vincent D'Onofrio . . . may actually be the best job he's done. I'm no fan. Really, flixster friends, not a bad movie at all. Love the picture in front of the Hollywood sign.
iLeo
November 4, 2007
I'm not a fantatic of the Stuart character. This film directed by Harold Ramis was hilarious!
I enjoyed watching the entire movie.
½ April 2, 2016
I'm not sure this expansion of a 90s SNL sketch warrants the feature treatment. I'm even less sure whether or not Al Franken's often humorous -- yet one-note -- TV character should carry his own film (I have the same doubts about the comedian himself in fact). Indeed, this whole endeavor may be better served with Franken's Stuart in a supporting role to a more well-rounded character. There's also too much of a reliance on the original catch phrases from the sketch and the over-the-top, goofball characters that Stuart "counsels" on his public access show. Even worse are the uber serious and emotional moments that come off so disingenuous when paired with Franken's lispy-voiced fruitcake. That being said, there are some moments of wit and humor to enjoy. Not quite enough to warrant this movie's existence, but sometimes you just gotta chuckle at Stuart's mix of self-deprecating and horribly insulting honesty.
½ May 16, 2015
Al Franken once stated that he was very proud of this movie, and he should be. It's sweet and quite thought provoking, especially for a film based on an SNl sketch.
½ June 1, 2014
The often forgotten SNL character movie isn't as bad as any of the ones that aren't the first Blues Brothers or Wayne's World but the laughs are few and far between. What does make Stuart Saves His Family semi-work is the actual interaction between Smalley and his dysfunctional family.
October 13, 2012
"You can't save everyone, even family" is what this for the movie is all about. Trying to get past where you come from to move on with your life is not always easy. "Stuart Saves His Family" deals with his alcoholic father, dysfunctional siblings, and self absorbed mother - all with Stuart in the middle of everything. There is a message underneath all of the Chaos he goes through to help bail his family out of the troubles they constantly run into. Regardless of the reviews the film, It still deserves a watch. and you never know - This could very well be your family in this movie. Funny & Touching. Enjoy!
August 12, 2012
Nobody went to see it, so that should of been my first hint to seeing this was going to be a travesty.
½ July 8, 2011
I just really love Stuart Smalley. You can really feel his issues with his family.The film was hip, funny, and watchable. It's about issues in Stuart Smalley's family. It's completley diffrent from other SNL movies. I wouldn't even consider it an SNL movie. Even if Stuart Smalley was on SNL. Stuart was just too likeable. If you have anxiety disorder, or anything else, You can really relate to Stuart Smalley. I would say go see it, But it's pretty hard to find it. It had a budget of 6 million, and made only a few thousand dollars. Order it at a library or somthing. It's a great film to me. A
½ December 1, 2009
I must say it was not really that good but the thing i liked about it is that it reminded me of my past. The times watching snl with his crazy skits and foolish wardrobe. It wasn't that funny or that good of a drama but it wasn't a waste of my time either. So if you got time and you got this movie go for it.
November 22, 2009
[from The Watermark, 04/15/95]

Not only does Saturday Night Live produce one of the least funny shows on television, it has now branched into producing some of the least funny motion pictures to be found at the cinema. Wayne?s World and Coneheads were barely tolerable, and leave us to forget Wayne?s World II, Billy Madison, Tommy Boy, and It?s Pat - please. Stuart Saves His Family is the latest SNL-sketch-turned-film to hit theaters, and I have to say it absolutely appalled me. Given the SNL movie track record, I was predisposed to hate this movie, and found that I couldn?t. It was charming from beginning to end with a few laughs that tickled my funny bone and some nice poignancy that touched my heart. Should I be ashamed to admit this?

The film?s protagonist, Stuart Smalley, is the lisping bleach-blond sensitive new-age guy who hosts ?Daily Affirmation? on SNL to inspire the insecure and undernurtured to grow and love themselves better. The joke of these sketches is that our angst-filled host is actually so crippled by his own insecurities that he barely is able to get himself through the day, let alone inspire others. Written and performed by talented longtime SNL alum Al Franken, Smalley is ?a caring nurturer, a member of several twelve step programs, but not a licensed therapist.? The film is written completely by the brilliant comic mind of Franken, based on his 1992 book I?m Good Enough, I?m Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me! in which Stuart attempts to provide an inspirational lesson for each day, and ends up recounting several trips home to deal with his dysfunctional family when his aunt dies.

Director Harold Ramis (of SCTV fame) handles the material well by acknowledging that it is not an out-and-out comedy. As written, it could have slipped into stupid family melodrama, or nasty laugh-fest at the expense of people in recovery. How many comedies have you seen lately in which a family confronts their father and asks him to admit he?s an alcoholic? The comedy always has a dramatic edge, and vice versa with such lines as, ?My father grew up during the Great Depression - his mother?s.? Also, the music in Stuart Saves His Family is kept very traditional and classically-based, with lots of 1950?s samba/cha-cha music added for color and fun. With great potential to live a long and happy existence on video and TV, the film is smart enough to avoid a dated soundtrack that may hinder its longevity.

The film is kept on track by Franken?s rock-solid performance as Stuart. Franken never breaks character for even a single frame, and it is fun to see the talking head we once enjoyed on SNL as a walking entity, finding himself in interesting comic situations. Faced with overcoming unpleasant childhood memories and his own ?Critical Inner Voice,? we are always on Stuart?s side as he tries to remain true to his own sense of respect and honesty. The film never slips into the easy pattern of making us feel sorry for him. Franken is backed up by a very capable supporting cast, and fellow SNL veteran Julia Sweeney is hilarious in her cameo as an apologetic secretary.

As for the long-standing question of Stuart?s sexuality, the film sheds no light on it whatsoever - Stuart is kept so asexual, they could have named the film It?s Pat II. (For the particularly curious, even the book doesn?t tell, though it comes dangerously close.) Personally, I say he is gay because no amount of twelve step programs could make a straight guy that sensitive. The lisp can?t be ignored (though I?d like to), and I?m sorry - any man with highlighted hair and Ethel Merman playing in his Walkman is more than suspect in my book. (And his Dad does say something about ?having Liberace for a son.?) The only other gay reference to be found in the film is Stuart?s ex-boss, Roz, who dresses like a major lesbian, but unfortunately is a very nasty person. Here?s to hoping most audiences will mistake her for being straight.

The other important factor of the film is how well it portrays twelve-step programs and the people who follow them. Again, the film achieves a fair balance by not getting bogged down by too many foreign ?program? terms, but does not ignore or oversimplify their importance. Smalley is actually a satirical character, but this lovable creature?s plight, like recovery, is based in self-honesty and trying to become a better person; how can one belittle that? To make fun at the expense of Stuart or twelve-step programs would be downright nasty and unfunny. Best of all, while we?re laughing at the individual, we actually walk away with a little of bit of the wisdom from the programs ourselves. (I actually think the film could have used more of his fun phrases during the voice-overs, like, ?Denial ain?t just a river in Egypt.?)

God bless the Stuart Smalleys in the world. Everybody knows one. A man with more feelings than an entire army, more compassion than the PTA, and more neurotic insecurities than Bellevue. He frequently begins his Affirmations with, ?Now yesterday?s show was not my best show, but that?s...OK.? Well, Stuart, you?re movie is not the best movie ever made. But even though at times it moves a little too slowly, it?s got heart, laughs, and a message to it - and it?s well put together. Considering your dysfunctional family of other SNL-inspired movies, you haven?t done so bad for yourself. In my book, that?s more than...OK.
½ August 17, 2009
Out of the very few movies spawned from Saturday Night Live skits, Stuart Smalley's (Al Franken) Daily Affirmation was one of the more bizarre choices to have brought to the big screen. Be that as it may, Stuart Smalley's self-help addicted persona was fleshed out on the bigger screen as his Daily Affirmation show comes to an end thanks in part to his insults towards the new TV programming boss. Through this experience, we learn of how Stuart grew up in an abusive family led by alcoholic father Harris Yulin (whose always fun to watch) and the family that enables him, including unaware mother Shirley Knight, drug/alcohol addicted brother Vincent D'Onofrio (putting in a surprisingly great performance), and crisis-addicted overeating sister Lesley Boone. In between trying to help himself cope with his own problems, Stuart makes several attempts to try and save his own family, but to no avail, pushing him to distance himself further and further from his family each time his attempts fail. If you go in expected a Superstar or Night at the Roxbury, or even a Chris Farley film, you will find yourself very disappointed as this SNL film tries to do things differently. In a very ballsy move, director Harold Ramis (Ghostbusters, Vacation, Caddyshack, I could go on and on) and Al Franken (starring and writing this film) deliver a movie that is NOT joke after joke after joke. Instead, this film seems to be an early attempt at a Dramedy, infusing many dramatic moments along with comedic ones. The film tries to tackle some interesting issues surrounding dysfunctions within families and friends. Stuart Saves His Family was a movie that threw caution to the wind and attempted to brave it by delivering a different style of comedy amidst a wave of 90's slapstick and fart comedies and, naturally, failed miserably in terms of capturing an audience. I, however, manage to enjoy this very small-scale and lighthearted comedy/drama. It manages to invoke some laughs, many of which could still be pulled off today as not much of it seems to be outdated. The performances are pretty good, particularly standout D'Onofrio. Overall, this is probably the best SNL skit inspired film that has ever (or will ever) come out.
June 24, 2008
The first twenty minutes are a little rocky, but once you get past some off-and-on slapstick, the movie is a surprisingly great family drama with deep, effective, underplayed characters. Really, quite a treat.
June 19, 2008
Al Fraknen is a complete jackass, douchbag, tool. But this movie was really funny. Well the other cast was.
February 10, 2008
One of my favorite movies. When I saw it way back when, I figured it would just be a throw-away movie, a too-long SNL sketch padded out for 90 minutes like "A Night at the Roxbury" or "It's Pat!" But Al Franken took a mildly humorous, mildly annoying character and made both him and his life three-dimensional and even more shockingly, relatable. Really an adaptation of Franken's "I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!" (again, a surprisingly good read), rather than ridicule Stuart's addiction to twelve-step programs, the movie actually takes a look at some serious issues like alcoholism, child abuse, and depression and presents them in a funny yet serious light. If the movie hinged completely on Franken's Smalley, it might not have worked, but his family members, played by great actors like Harris Yulin, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Shirley Knight, anchors this in enough reality that you can actually relate to Stuart. Relate to Stuart Smalley. That is no small feat. A funny, surprisingly touching movie. I still cry when Donny shows up (you'll know what I'm talking about).
½ July 15, 2007
I once said that "It's Pat!" was the worst of the SNL spinoff movies, but I forgot this one existed. Stuart Smalley is such a boring, one-liner character that it's hard for him to hold the audience's attention for a single sketch on TV, let alone an entire movie (even if that movie is a mere 97 minutes long.)
½ August 26, 2007
Far better than you'd imagine, with a strong script (by Al Franken) and directing (by Harold Ramis), that gives it surprising depth. Not at all a typical SNL film.
July 4, 2007
In the deep, deep dump bin of SNL movie flops, this is one worth digging out and watching. It actually works as a feature film, superceding its moderately successful sketch source in ways unimaginable. The "Stuart Smalley" sketches rarely made the first 60 minutes of SNL, so it's easy to dismiss this without a second thought. Don't.
½ May 23, 2007
Hilarious film based on the Saturday Night Live Character, you'll recognize alot of these people from your own dysfunctional family!
½ February 3, 2007
It may not have been too big of a hit, but I liked it. Of course I like Al Franken and some people can't stand him.