—— The Identical Sep 05

Letitia L

August 18, 2012
D'aww.

April 9, 2013
Trapped in an awful predicament involving her professor, her professor's wife and her computer, Rebecca(Zoe Lister-Jones) sees no other options aside from bar hopping and getting drunk. At one bar, she is recognized by Casper(Sam Rosen, who also co-wrote), a high school classmate she barely remembers and home from Afghanistan. When her friend Brent(Brent Doyle) lifts her on his shoulder during a game of pool, Casper rushes to her aid. It should not surprise anybody that the whole rescuing the damsel in distress thing does not work out as planned when he forgets the first rule of basic training - never pick on a marine. Still, at least he and Rebecca get a chance to know each other when she picks him as the more emotionally mature option, but this is not a date and there will be no kissing.

The one thing filmmakers occasionally forget is that it takes very little to create a film when your heart is in the right place.(*cough* Tarantino *cough*) And that's especially true with the beguiling "Stuck between Stations" whose amiable conversations make the best use of Zoe Lister-Jones' off-kilter delivery. That's not to say this story is not cinematic as the movie contains some lovely shots like Casper framed against the Minneapolis skyline, the cyclists and the circus.(I'll bet you never thought Minneapolis could be so interesting, did you?) On the other hand, there is the split screen which is only really necessary during the movie's sole scene of suspense, amplifying the ambient tension. Otherwise, the movie did not have to literally spell out the cause of Rebecca's self-destruction, as a lot of people peak in high school, as somebody once keenly observed. Plus, hatred of Army officers and soldiers on the homefront is a myth, except for William Westmoreland who kinda had it coming.
Hamee
May 2, 2014
This was a very sweet movie with a couple of very quirky characters. The ending was wonderful and made up for the slow buildup of the story.
Dave J
August 12, 2014
Tuesday, August 12, 2014

(2011) Stuck Between Stations
DRAMA

Opens with a very blatant beginning, but as soon as the two main characters meet the rest is all smooth sailing. It's like watching a Richard Linklater's "Before Sunrise" movie, but better since the two main characters never go anywhere extravagant nor do they have as much opinions about important issues. Meaning, no one don't need to go to another place they had never go anywhere such as Paris or Greece in order to have a good time. Actually, it's like the most authentic variation of a little reunion. It stars Sam Rosen who also co-wrote the movie along with Nat Bennett. He plays Casper, who's just come back to Minneapolis for something viewers don't quite know what until much later. At the same time, Rebecca (Zoe Lister Jones) but is called "Becky" for short is scrounging around looking for something at an office. By chance both characters eventually see each other at a bar, which what could've been a misunderstood bar fight. We then see Casper leaving the bar, sitting by himself outside. Rebecca then decides to return the baseball cap Casper left behind assuming that he'd still be around and is able to catch up with him. As soon as the two meet, and at first she doesn't seem to recognize him, he finally reminds her who he was and who she used to be. And we come to learn that both of them used to be classmates except that she as well as him had both changed from the last time they had saw each other since they're ten or more years older. This 'authentic' and natural exchange should be something everybody no matter who you are should be able to identify with, without the use of social media as well as relate to as we grow older. I have to say, this has to be one of the best 'reunion' films I had ever encountered and it's intentions are not the same as let's say "The Big Chill" or any other class reunion films, as both of them converse with one another how the other one had changed -it seems very natural and harmless. Each of them also went to spots the other one would not have gone to which is like an example of getting out of your comfort zone moment(s) since Casper has just come back temporarily just so he can go to a funeral, while Becky is trying to retrieve her computer, and both of them are helping the other one out. Actors, Josh Hartnett and "The Sopranos" star Michael Imperioli also star with minor roles.

3 out of 4 stars
July 6, 2014
Very sweet and tasty flic about things big and small: reconnecting with high school peeps, how humans cope with the horrors of life differently; loss at several levels; love. Not a bad menu and all courses prepared in a simple, economical style without special sauces. None are required. The true flavor is all that's needed.
May 24, 2014
Stuck Between Stations [2011] This is the type of film I hate for loving. 8/10

April 9, 2013

January 15, 2013
A very rare/honest film! It's filled w-very clever dialogue & it almost catches you by surprise & makes you feel for the characters as if they're people you know personally... Great performances by all of the actors in this film! The co-writer/star of the film Sam Rosen is FANTASTIC!&I look forward to seeing him in other films...
When suggesting this film to friends I usually say it kinda reminded me of "The Wackness" &/or "Once", which were two other indie films that I enjoyed immensely&have a lot of heart! If you enjoyed either of those films then you'll LOVE "Stuck Between Stations!"
(Note: My one complaint is that the trailer for this movie does not do it justice...)
4&1/2 STARS!
June 27, 2012
Good film for a night in.
April 11, 2012
This Minneapolis film starts out interesting, but it really doesn't go anywhere by the time it finishes. A missed opportunity.
April 2, 2012
I might say Josh Hartnett is back.
December 23, 2011
Beautiful film that finally captures the romance of Minneapolis!
January 3, 2012
A beautiful snapshot of Minneapolis and wonderful swell of emotions.
January 1, 2012
This movie caught my interest the minute I started watching it. The characters were complex and interesting. I cared about them right away. The movie is both entertaining and thought provoking. I want to see it again.
December 29, 2011
Great little film! Not your totally typical storyline. Fantastic acting! Great sound track! Left wanting to know more about what happened to these highly relevant characters, but also glad nothing is completely spelled out for us as an audience. Excellent date movie!
December 24, 2011
Such a beautiful movie about real human emotion. Was like living through their eyes with the Minneapolis backdrop. Was truly an amazing film Im still thinking about a few days later...
Gabriel K.
December 23, 2011
A rewarding film about a place and time that we all pass through in life. A moment of transition and awakening to the struggles and opportunities that adult life provides us. The acting is great and the chemistry between the actors is believable. Perhaps best of all, the film captures the best of the Minneapolis experience--one far more interesting and real than what is typically depicted (ie Fargo).
December 23, 2011
Witty dialogue, wonderful performances. It's nice to see two strong characters struggle with their character defects even to the point of examining how being stronger than others can sometimes be an isolating factor.
Dave E.
December 17, 2011
Sweet little movie, with great chemistry between its lead actors. This is a hidden little gem.