Summer Wars (Sama Wozu) (2009)
Average Rating: 7/10
Reviews Counted: 21
Fresh: 16 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Critic Reviews: 14
Fresh: 11 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.1/5
User Ratings: 3,902
Kenji is a teenage math prodigy recruited by his secret crush Natsuki for the ultimate summer job - passing himself off as Natsuki's boyfriend for four days during her grandmother's 90th birthday celebration. But when Kenji solves a 2,056 digit math riddle sent to his cell phone, he unwittingly breaches the security barricade protecting Oz, a globe-spanning virtual world where millions of people and governments interact through their avatars, handling everything from online shopping and traffic
Dec 24, 2010 Limited
Feb 15, 2011
GKIDS - Official Site
J. Michael Tatum
E. Jason Liebrecht
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
It's a sugar rush of candy-colored images, a beautifully drawn tale of family tradition and a bracing brain tonic about the Internet's charms and vulnerabilities.
A sophisticated yet poignant family entertainment with an appeal beyond Japanese animation buffs.
A charming allegory for man - or woman - against machine, Summer Wars is an eye-popping symphony of colour and imagination that leaps from the screen to blow the viewer's mind.
Far from resorting to easy, reactionary technophobia, Hosoda shows Japan's age-old traditions being upheld throughout different generations, with the beautifully realised digital community of OZ proving as much the solution as the problem.
Where Hosoda shines is in the Oz-world visuals. The various confrontations with Love Machine in cyberspace are completely engaging - metaphorical visual representations of virtual conflicts in the manner of Tron: Legacy and Inception.
Summer Wars is every bit as good as anime fans have been hoping it would be.
Audience Reviews for Summer Wars (Sama Wozu)
- Sakae: And you always eat together as a family, even during difficult times, because being hungry and being all alone are the worst things that can happen to anyone.
- Sakae: Never turn your back on family, even when they hurt you. Never let life get the better of you. And if you remember nothing else, remember to find time to eat together as a family. Even when times are rough; especially when times are rough. There's no lack of painful things in this world, but hunger and loneliness must surely be two of the worst.Thanks to you, my precious family, I didn't know a moment of either of those the last ninety years.
- Kazuma: It's no game, it's a sport. Games are for people who don't care enough. In sports, you compete to win.
- Kenji Koiso: Quitting won't do you any good. You have to work for an answer.
- Sakuma: Please tell me you didn't break the internet.
Discuss Summer Wars (Sama Wozu) on our Movie forum!