67% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Summer Stock Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
An okay movie, full of song and dance numbers with little story, which kind of gets on my nerves sometimes. I'd say this is an average musical comedy.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 4, 2007
Watch Judy's weight fluctuate from scene to scene. Be that as it may she is breezy and sings "Get Happy" and one of her most beautiful songs "Friendly Star"
Lanning :

March 6, 2007
I think I've said how much I'm all-in for musicals in general. This is true, but Summer Stock will never make my all-time favorite list. The story is messy, the many talents of Marjorie Main are wasted, and the songs are not exactly, for the most part, what strike me as hummable tunes. Still, for a balls-out performance from an unexpected quarter, check out Phil Silvers. Amazing.
Leigh R

June 11, 2006
I love Judy!
Alec B

July 19, 2014
A silly, predictable trifle, but for Garland and Kelly it's worth a viewing.
July 1, 2014
Caught this on TCM. Hadn't seen it in decades. So, so good. It's up there with the best of the MGM musicals in my book.
February 24, 2008
This is a good movie

A small-town farmer, down on her luck, finds her homestead invaded by a theatrical troupe invited to stay by her ne'er-do-well sister.
July 27, 2008
a full star of this rating goes to Gene Kelly. while the best musicals are able to entertain despite their flaws and shortcomings, this isn't quite able to do it. thin, predictable story with very little charm or humour (Phil Silvers did about the best job, and he was trying too hard). the acting was pretty dry as well. any time Kelly was dancing in addition to the Get Happy number saved this film from being a campy, inconsistent flop (campy and inconsistent though it still was). if I were MGM, I would have fired Garland after this film too.
brandilynn88
September 10, 2007
I love this comedy/dance duo. They are inspired dancers, wonderful singers, and a beautiful on-screen couple. The score is very catchy, also, with some now-familiar pieces really brightening the screen.
May 8, 2007
This is one of my all time favorite movies! It has Judy Garland who I adore. I just love the story of it all. Its a cute story. And Judy shines as usual.
July 31, 2007
It's not the greatest musical of all time, but it was the one that really introduced me to Gene Kelly. This was after I fought my Dad on even wanting to watch it. Before I knew it, I was hooked! It had it's own little charm and Judy Garland and Gene Kelly had a special chemistry. The music is still great and contains one of Judy Garland's best known numbers, "Get Happy". I have to list this as a favorite because I'm still very sentimental about it and have seen it many, many times.
Lmouery
July 20, 2007
In this movie, she palyed an ordinary woman, and had gained weight looking a lot like I do now.This was a very fun movie and not exactly a comedy either.
May 23, 2007
Next to his famous scene in Singin in the Rain, the dance sequence in this movie where he uses anything at his disposal including an old newspaper for this number was absolutely remarkable.
moviegirl50
May 4, 2007
Good musical with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. I just watched it tonight, 5/3/07, and I hadn't seen it since I was a kid and only remembered little parts of it. Judy is great esp. singing "Forget your troubles, come on get happy, you better chase all your cares away....." Good stuff!
jennalynde
March 4, 2007
Judy Garland and Gene Kelly ... who could ask for more, but then they added the comedy genius of Phil Silvers and the delightful charcter Eddie Bracken to fill you with a smile. Garland and Kelly's best since The Pirate.
chassidy5420
August 17, 2006
If you love musicals, or even Judy Garland I AM POSITIVE YOU WILL LOVE THIS...has rumor, romance, drama, get movie
kbpkdp2
June 9, 2006
Gene Kelly and Judy Garland are so great in this movie. I love the dancing. Its just a really good movie. I love movies like this
August 2, 2014
Great movie. Gene Kelly films are hillarious
Alec B

July 19, 2014
A silly, predictable trifle, but for Garland and Kelly it's worth a viewing.
July 21, 2013
I can't believe I'd never seen this all the way through. There are plenty of great moments beyond just Judy singing "Get Happy" and Gene Kelly dancing with newspaper (although those moments are brilliant).