Summer's Blood (Summer's Moon) Reviews

August 25, 2010
Good thriller movie. Obviously low budget, but I really enjoyed it. I know others have said that it was predictable, and maybe some of it was, but I still found this family so creepy that I couldn't tear my eyes off it. Ashley Greene does a good job at making you forget she was ever sweet Alice in Twilight - she is more like an Eliza Dushku tough girl here. Acting is very convincing from whole cast.
deano
January 5, 2010
Girl gets picked up by a nice young man. Ends up abducted and chained in his basement where she is given to join him and his killer family or well...you know the drill.
Good cast and crew make something out of a well worn plot line. You've been here before, the question is do you want to go here again since the material isn't anything special, even if the performances are very good. This is one of the increasing number of movies that are taking well worn ideas, spicing them up with a great cast and then getting a weak script. It ends up wasting everyones time.
Ashley Greene is not the sweet girl from Twilight, but a tough girl with a will to survive.
June 8, 2011
A very interesting but twisted tale about a young girl who gets kidnapped by an obsessed boy. That should explain everything.
July 27, 2012
I gave it one extra star then this predictlble and clunky film deserves cause Ashley Greene(Twilight series) is in it and has a few nude scenes
January 3, 2012
So-so serial killer tale. Looked like a good idea executed poorly. Lacks much in the effects department and the directing is unfocused. Some taboo themes brought up but not explored. Ashley Greene fans should be fairly pleased.
April 19, 2011
Absolutely insane. Ashley Greene is hot. At one point, the son starts making out with his mother. Daddy arrives and he is even crazier than them...I kind of wish she would have hooked up with her hitchhiking pickup ;-) lol
½ October 26, 2010
They actually did a pretty good job of getting into the psyche of a serial killer. I was pleasently surprised.
moviemaniacgirl
½ August 6, 2010
SUmmer's Moon is average. Nothing special. The acting is sub-par... maybe average, at best. The writing is cheesey, the plot is so dull and predictable you find they could've made it at least an hour shorter and you still would've gotten the whole plot. Obviously VERY low budget, which isn't always a bad thing, but it is in this case. There were two scenes of gore and they were lame. Not worth the watch, sorry Twiligh/Ashely Greene fans.
½ March 31, 2010
Shot in only 15 days, the movie was somewhat interesting, not vary scary, but worth watching simply because of the beauty that is Ashley Greene, (of twilight fame). Worth watching on pay tv but I wouldn't waste my money on buying or renting it...
½ November 13, 2009
Ok to be honest the number one reason why I decided to watch this movie was because Ashely Greene. I really like her as Alice in Twilight and I wanted to see how she would do in a different kind of movie.

I must say this was not the best movie but I like it. Summer is looking for her dad that she had never met. In her search she meets a guy that ends up to be crazy. Then she finds out that her father is not really what she was expecting.
Ashely does a good job. The movie was a bit weird but I would recommend for others to check it out.
April 30, 2014
I absolutely ADORE this movie, but then again, I love B-Rate horror films! This film has a reality to it, and a unique story line. Who keeps a girl as a garden angel? Very good! !00% RECOMMEND!
½ April 11, 2014
It's fuck or get fucked.

A young woman with a checkered past seeks out her father she has never met. She heads into a small town and meets an eccentric family of serial killers that captures and tortures her. Her adopted father that raised her begins looking for her but doesn't get much help because of her reputation. Can the step dad find the girl before the serial killers dispose of her?

"I swear, sometimes I wonder how I gave birth to a child this fucking stupid."

Lee Damarbre, director of Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, Harry Knuckles and the Pearl Necklace, The Dead Sleep Easy, and Smash Cut, delivers Summer's Moon. The storyline for this picture is fairly average and a bit predictable. It did keep my attention long enough to want to know what happens, but not enough to separate itself in the genre.

"I didn't kill her. Don't say that ever again."

I grabbed this movie off Netflix the other night because the plot sounded interesting; unfortunately, this film plays out in a predictable and straightforward fashion. The acting is also fairly average and the cast includes Ashley Greene, Peter Mooney, Barbara Niven, Peter Michael Dillon, and Allison Graham. Overall, the film isn't a complete waste of time but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it either.

"I need you to keep me safe, okay?"

Grade: C
March 24, 2014
One line summary: Ugly Canadian slasher film with incest and bad line reading.

-----------------

Summer travels to the small town of Massey, where she hopes to connect with her long lost father. After shoplifting in a convenience store where a cop is, the cop gives chase. Tom helps her escape the cop, and she goes home with him and has a one night stand. The next morning, though, Tom lets her know that she's not leaving. Tom's mother Gaia hits her over the head with a blunt object to drive the point home.

When Summer wakes up from the head blow, she's staked, all four limbs, to a gardening bed full of exposed soil. She's not alone; there's another captive woman not far away. One version of the title is "Summer's Blood," and we can guess the origin.

Darwin, Summer's putative father, gets out of jail, and comes looking for Summer. The Sheriff listens, but Summer has not left an impression that keeps his interest. He makes a few inquiries; Gaia is the first one whom he asks. Gaia tries to talk Tom into abandoning his 'gardening' and setting the girls free to avoid trouble with the law.

Tom does some reading, which he shares with Gaia. They set Summer free, but keep her in their orbit. Soon after, Gant Hoxey calls, and there are a series of revelations.

Then the emotional fireworks start. Who survives the gore fest?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 5/10 On the dark side for the interiors, with better than VHS quality, but not by much. The colour palettes were often ugly to the point of looking like 1970s video shown during late night. The exteriors, fewer in number, were better, but still had the low-budget look to them.

Sound: 5/10 For a Canadian film done in English, the actors seem to be lip-synching. Perhaps that's a Netflix problem, sound versus video. Music did not seem to be an asset.

Acting: 4/10 Peter Michael Hilton and Paul Whitney were just horrible. Even as little as ten hours practicing reading lines might have helped. On the other hand, veterans Stephen McHattie and Barbara Niven were very good. Peter Mooney and Ashley Greene were just all over the map, occasionally believable, usually terrible.

Screenplay: 2/10 The film is fairly open about incest, real or intended (Gaia and Tom, Tom and Summer, Gant and Summer), but does not seem to even try to capitalise on the shock value. The gardens did not make any sense. Was Tom just practicing protracted torture, or was there something to be gained from the plants? Referring to the original title, was blood actually involved there? What did the young women before Summer actually die from?
October 23, 2013
You'll have the entire plot figured out after only 10 minutes.
½ April 1, 2013
The point where horror meets horrifically bad.
November 2, 2012
It's a Canadian slasher flick starring one of the supporting cast from 'Twilight' that went straight to DVD. If you're a 12 year old goth girl who can't pronounce 'about' correctly, you might be this movie's demographic.
½ September 30, 2012
summers blood should be known as summers bomb. terrible acting and a preposterous story leave no ground for anything interesting to happen
August 8, 2012
This movie is incomprehensibly awful. Poor acting, poor story, predictable plot lines . . . blah, blah, blah. I sometimes wonder how movies like this ever get made.
½ August 25, 2010
Stephen McHattie continues his Lance Hendriksen impersonation by dishing out another failure performance in one of the worst horror films of the year.
June 8, 2011