Un Dimanche à la Campagne (A Sunday in the Country) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Un Dimanche à la Campagne (A Sunday in the Country) Reviews

February 12, 2008
One of my all-time favorites; an uncompromising depiction of family relations, parental love and its discontents. Beautifully served by a superb cast and detailed filmography. What I imagine Proust would have filmed if he had lived in our times.
June 11, 2007
Kudos to Bertrand Tavernier. A post French New Wave filmmaker, he has continued to innovate after innovation was hip. In this film he recreates the structural and emotional barriers of an expressionistic painting. There is little by way of story, but the film is so peaceful and beautiful it becomes a good memory. My first viewing years ago was dissapointing, but this film ages well. Fine wine.
½ May 27, 2012
Small, subtle story about the dynamics of parents and children, regrets and missed opportunities, and the golden-hued memories that frame our consideration of our lives. Another lovely film by Tavernier.
½ April 26, 2011
Rien que pour la photographie...
December 14, 2010
Reflective and perceptive, this film is powerful stuff. It's a wonderful meditation of the nature of the family.
November 12, 2010
Hm, je ne peux pas vraiment comprendre l'enthousiasme qu'a rencontrà (C) ce film dans les annà (C)es 80. But it was great to see the young Sabine Azà (C)ma
½ August 20, 2009
L'enthousiasme général dégagé par l'ensemble de l'oeuvre rend l'écoute fort agréable, de plus, la narration très littéraire ne pourrait être plus belle.
October 3, 2007
want to see this because it won best foreign film with the NBR and best foreign-language film with the NYFC, and was nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes
August 19, 2008
Ce film est une petite perle que j'adore. Justesse et émotion dans la description intime des rapports entre un vieil homme et ses deux grands enfants. La voix-off qui raconte les pensées de chacun est très pudique et économe en mots et tellement riche en expression (une des marques de fabrique de Tavernier !). Un film que j'aime revoir pour en percer à chaque fois plus de secrets.
July 15, 2008
One of the most boring films ever made. I'd rather watch paint dry.
April 28, 2008
Magnifique réflexion sur la filiation. D'une intelligence et d'une sensibilité rares. Prix de la mise en scène pour Tavernier à Cannes en 1984.
March 8, 2008
exquisite and very moving. A painfully touching film about family relationships.
February 12, 2008
½ February 5, 2008
A sunday in the Country is slightly worse than A Load in my Pants
January 1, 2008
You feel like you have stepped right into a classic painting while watching this movie. A wise and beautiful tale of a life well spent, but now coming to a close. Perhaps the most beautiful life of Bertrand Taverniers career.
½ December 13, 2007
Watching this exquisite movie is like entering an impressionist painting.
November 3, 2007
A luminous Gallic distillation of Visconti's 'Leopard' -- set in a elderly painters verdant provincial estate in the high summer of 1913 -- that's diaphanous and leisurely where the earlier film was stately and magisterial. Tavernier inverts the Leopardâ??s thematic trajectory from historical change to individual mortality by using the various joys and sorrows that pierce the artist's memory to at first conceal, then intimate the impending World War.

Each elegant traveling shot contains multitudes: the painters impressionist past and conservative present are twined through allusions to Degas and Renoir-pere and the sepia tinged cinematography of the early cinema plays off the warm, long-take humanism of Renoir-fils, while the god-like male narrator who dispassionately comments on the action suggests 'Jules and Jim' era Truffaut.

In my (at times) humble opinion, A Sunday in the Country is one of the greatest French films of the last quarter century.
July 15, 2007
Slow, gentle. One of the most accurate descriptions I have seen of the complexity of family relationships.
June 11, 2007